Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Yes. Ad Nauseum.

Microsoft gave the specifications of 2.5 GB/s with 4.8GB/s with compression. We have to accept it for what they said, seeing how there are rarely ever public benchmarks released on this. We'll need to wait for a game's presentation at GDC to find out what they achieved.
Actually it's 2.4 GB/s and 4.8 GB/s with compression. Also I'm pretty sure those are just the speeds MS actually guarantees you'll get all the time, I'd be surprised if they actually didn't allow the SSD to push further when thermals allow it, the controller goes up to 3.75GB/s both directions

Sorry about the loose numbers, I was going from memory of the drive being 125x improvement over the ~ 20 MB/S that the streaming solution from Sony's Spider-Man game was designed around.

Microsoft stated that is sustained performance levels.

Unpatched legacy code designed around Xbox One.

1. Do you mean if we run unpatched xb1 games the average speed will be only 500MB/s or less?
Only 20% of the 2.4GB/s SSD?

2. In eurogamer article it says:

"the 2.4GB/s of guaranteed throughput is impressive"

Yes the SSD is guaranteed at 2.4GB/s but if there is bottleneck in some part of the system, SSD may not read at 2.4GB/s.
So do we rule out the possibility of system bottleneck which causes XSX read speed only hundreds of MB/s in this official demo?

Do you mean 2.4GB/s and 4.8GB/s?

Does MS ever state that it is peak value or an average value?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

The IO spec is 20x (xsx 2.4GB/s, x1x 120MB/s), but the loading time is only 5X faster.
(
)

Do we conclude the reason?

Isn't it possible that XSX average in-game speed is just 500MB/s or less?
(just like the 120MB/s is probably peak value of HDD, we know the HDD sometimes only reads at 50MB/s or even slower)
They said 2.4GB/s Guaranteed, so sounds like a minimum. They stated that the demo you saw is unoptimised code, just raw xbox one code. I also believe that it could be limited by whatever timings are for the Jaguar CPU as the game code was done for that.

Last edited:
I don't know how you can guarantee anything other than sequential access. I'm not sure what guarantee means in this context.

Do you mean 2.4GB/s and 4.8GB/s?

Does MS ever state that it is peak value or an average value?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

The IO spec is 20x (xsx 2.4GB/s, x1x 120MB/s), but the loading time is only 5X faster.
(
)

Do we conclude the reason?

Isn't it possible that XSX average in-game speed is just 500MB/s or less?
(just like the 120MB/s is probably peak value of HDD, we know the HDD sometimes only reads at 50MB/s or even slower)

The conclusion I'd have is that the content is a backwards compatibility title and the title itself is not optimized for fast loading. You can throw a fast disk at a game, but if the software hasn't been optimized for fast loading it'll be well below your theoretical disk speed.

A good way to think about it is the game is not just loading things into memory, but processing that data concurrently. If they're not loading things asynchronously to processing, and they're not organizing the content sequentially, and they're not processing that data in an efficient way, you won't get all of the benefits of that fast disk.

Last edited:
I don't know how you can guarantee anything other than sequential access. I'm not sure what guarantee means in this context.

This relates to how PC NVME throttle lower when they overheat, so you're only hitting those numbers for the first little bit before taking massive nosedive in performance. Microsoft is guaranteeing their NVME won't thermal throttle.

This relates to how PC NVME throttle lower when they overheat, so you're only hitting those numbers for the first little bit before taking massive nosedive in performance. Microsoft is guaranteeing their NVME won't thermal throttle.

So it's sequential read won't be any lower than 2.4 GB/s.

The conclusion I'd have is that the content is a backwards compatibility title and the title itself is not optimized for fast loading. You can throw a fast disk at a game, but if the software hasn't been optimized for fast loading it'll be well below your theoretical disk speed.

That's basically what we pc gamers experience yes, we don't gain the improvements we should be seeing when going from sata to nvme etc. In SC the game goes from a stuttery mess to a smooth transition from one planet to another at light speed. Only games optimized for high speed storage will see huge advantages.

I'm sure this looks like nitpicking again, but they don't guarantee it won't thermal throttle, just that it won't throttle under those numbers ;)

I'm sure this looks like nitpicking again, but they don't guarantee it won't thermal throttle, just that it won't throttle under those numbers ;)

Nothing wrong with being pedantic.

I just didn't figure that would be the situation since they never talked about higher peaks or higher performance. Seems easy to market "we sustain X but can burst up to Y" to start having everyone use Y instead of X.

But that would mean in some cases it could be faster than 2.4 GB/s, which would only be a good thing.
Yes, like I said earlier, I'd be surprised if they'd actually limit the speed to that, since the controller they're using goes up to 3.75GB/s (both read & write speeds)

Haven't seen much about XBSX audio.

Project Acoustics – Incubated over a decade by Microsoft Research, Project Acoustics accurately models sound propagation physics in mixed reality and games, employed by many AAA experiences today. It is unique in simulating wave effects like diffraction in complex scene geometries without straining CPU, enabling a much more immersive and lifelike auditory experience. Plug-in support for both the Unity and Unreal game engines empower the sound designer with expressive controls to mold reality. Developers will be able to easily leverage Project Acoustics with Xbox Series X through the addition of a new custom audio hardware block.

Has anyone else got more information about Project Acoustics other than the official stuff on the website? Does anyone know what the custom audio hardware block entails? I've read Project Acoustics uses the Azure cloud but have no other information on the audio regarding hardware. The VG247 article mentions a hardware audio chip and all other articles on the matter refer back to the VG247 article so from I have seen, the hardware audio chip story only comes from VG247.

What other information is there regarding the custom audio hardware block because from what I have seen, Project Acoustics is a software solution for 3D audio?

If Project Acoustics uses Azure, what happens if the console is offline? Will audio be compromised if Azure is offline?

Back