Formula 1 - 2020 Season

Wonder if Renault will be calling hulkenberg in that case :LOL:

I guess that would mean Vettel is going to quit? Neither RBR or Mercedes is likely to make a seat available and I doubt he wants to drive around in the midfield. Not to mention those teams probably can't afford him anyway.

The BBC mentioned Sainz as a Ferrari candidate. He would be as interesting as Ricciardo in terms of a very competitive and more experienced teammate for LeClerc. Hulk would be interesting as a "safer" choice. I'm not sure he's as quick as Sainz or Ric, which Ferrari probably prefer. Does his driving style match LeClerc's? Is he known to be a good at development?

BTW, the balls on Silverstone, if it's true that they asked for £15M (the same as their annual race fee) to host this year's double header. :LOL: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52612210

Ferrari has confirmed Sainz will fill Vettels seat, McLaren recruits Ricciardo for next season. Vettel is either completely out or Renault then.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52661201

"Ferrari, who say they have signed Sainz on a two-year deal, will envisage the Spaniard in the type of back-up role Valtteri Bottas plays to Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes - quick enough to be close to him and engage in battle with other front-runners but unlikely to be a consistent challenge."

Isn't Sainz thought to be quick? I'm surprised he'd be willing to accept second driver status to someone younger than him, even if it is for Ferrari. I don't see Vettel going to Renault, but that probably also rules out Alonso for the same reason (not competitive enough).

well sainz havent won a race in f1 so he's looking at it in a way of getting into a top car and then showing the world what he can do, winning races, challenging for world championships etc.

They got Ocon so I doubt that. Ricciardo jumping ship the first chance he got will also make any half decent driver think twice about going there.

I agree with Perez, I think the chance of Vettel quitting is bigger than him going to another team. He won 4WDC's, probably got more money than he knows what to do with so why bother driving around in P7 at best when he could have stayed with Ferrari? Vettel doesn't strike me as a driver that wants to be on the grid of the sake of being on the grid.

They got Ocon so I doubt that. Ricciardo jumping ship the first chance he got will also make any half decent driver think twice about going there.

I agree with Perez, I think the chance of Vettel quitting is bigger than him going to another team. He won 4WDC's, probably got more money than he knows what to do with so why bother driving around in P7 at best when he could have stayed with Ferrari? Vettel doesn't strike me as a driver that wants to be on the grid of the sake of being on the grid.
ocon is mercedes bound for sure, if he can have some decent races in 2020 (if we have races at all!)
bottas will go to ??? or hamilton will retire

Leclerc-Sainz is a strong young team.
I feel Sainz will be happy enough taking team orders as 2nd driver since he's finally getting to drive a top 3 car with inherent opportunity for a load of pedestals & wins.
If Sainz scores more consistently Ferrari has form in quickly switching preference.

Vettel has a great record but he's not been on great form & frankly has shown a dangerous tendency towards collisions when someone gets past/is too hard to pass.
Arguably better to go into retirement now with a great record than tag along for several more years in the mid-back of the field, though there is a pretty long tradition of doing that...

I feel like Hamilton is one who will quit at the top, hard to see him struggling around in mid-field for years.

ocon is mercedes bound for sure, if he can have some decent races in 2020 (if we have races at all!)
bottas will go to ??? or hamilton will retire

I'm not so sure. They couldn't find a seat for him at first and then went with Bottas over him. If they were that confident in him they would have just put him in the car and out up with one year of fewer points but most likely still a constructors championship.

But we'll see. If he is there or thereabouts against Ricciardo than who knows.

Formula 1 teams have agreed to a package of cost-cutting changes to help the sport ride out the coronavirus pandemic, BBC Sport can reveal.
Teams voted to accept a plan to lower the budget cap to be introduced next year by $30m to $145m (£114m). This will be reduced again to $140m in 2022 and $135m for the period 2023-25.
This is one of a series of measures aimed at reducing costs and levelling the field, including a research-and-development handicap system.
The package still needs to be officially approved by F1's legislative body, the world motorsport council of governing body the FIA. Its vote will take place next week and is expected to be a formality.

One of the most radical aspects of the rules package is the plan to limit aerodynamic development for the most successful teams.

There will be a defined benchmark amount of permitted wind-tunnel time and computing data, and a sliding scale of allowance of that R&D depending on a team's finishing position in the previous championship.

In 2021, to allow for the fact that teams have to develop cars to the new rules in 2022, the team who finishes first this year will be allowed 90% of that quota, with a sliding scale at 2.5% increments so the team that finished last gets 112.5%. From 2022 onwards, the world champions will be permitted 70% of the total allowance, with 5% increments until the team that finishes last is allowed 115%.

Any new teams would be given the same allowance as the team that finishes last. The manufacturer teams have negotiated a quid pro quo on a topic known as the "notional value" of customer parts.
This rule defines a valuation for parts typically bought by smaller teams from manufacturers, such as gearboxes and suspension. Once a team has bought those parts, their defined value is taken off that team's total budget-cap figure.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52723209

I heard this (Ferrari entering IndyCar with the people they could no longer employ in F1 under the new budget cap) mentioned in a Sky Sports vodcast, I think. Sure, why not? It’s a nice solution to their specific problem. There’s probably no rule they have to spend the $70M/yr bonus they get from F1 in F1. :devilish:

Williams up for sale: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52847040

The company said in a statement that they were considering "various strategic options… including but not limited to raising new capital for the business, a divestment of a minority stake in Williams Grand Prix Holdings, or a divestment of a majority stake in WGPH including a potential sale of the whole company".
  • £13M loss last year.
  • Considering selling stakes in the team or all of it.
  • In preliminary discussions but no offers yet.
  • Want process completed in 3-4 months but team fully funded for the year.
  • Rokit no longer a title sponsor.

Williams up for sale: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52847040

• £13M loss last year.
  • Considering selling stakes in the team or all of it.
  • In preliminary discussions but no offers yet.
  • Want process completed in 3-4 months but team fully funded for the year.
  • Rokit no longer a title sponsor.
Surprisingly small loss considering their performance lately.
Regardless, whatever they do it will most likely mean Williams family losing the unrivaled majority, they (or rather Frank Williams) currently holds 51.3% (as per 2017, no mentions of changes since then in Wiki)

july 5 and 12, austria
here we (dont) go but the teams will go there and zoom zoom

Back