Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing. Takes away the doubt hb2 wasnt possible, same graphics level. Since many games are UE powered, expect to see more games with that engine.

Thanks for clearing it up, @Dictator! I was puzzling so hard :D

I'd like to add two things: The GI lag can not really come from accumulating only one bounce per iteration (or frame). We would not notice this because each further bounce becomes more and more subtle. We would have visible latency of only one frame for the indirect lighting.
The reason is probably stochastic updates. So they do not update all voxels each frame, only a smaller set of them, hidden by temporal filter to turn the abrupt change into smooth lag.
(I assume they do not trace per pixel, but store some basis like SH per voxel, which explains the blurry specular limitation but is the right thing to do.)

The main limitation of displacement mapping is not the restriction of a single direction (we could make this direction individual per texel). It is more the fact that it does not work across UV seams, so we see it only on heightmaps or other geometry that is somewhat flat (UVs have the topology of a disc).
If we would use seamless UVs (which is hard to generate), we could use it also on spheres or characters, and any topology. The remaining limitation then is only we can not add holes, handles or tunnels to the surface.

Just for your info. I guess the latter is widely unknown.
Thanks again. I think i can get some sleep now, finally ;)

The Wonderful 101: Remastered (more like: Port) can’t hit a solid 1080p60 on a PS4, despite starting at 720p~40 on a WiiU. It also ships with the typical Platinum poor framepacing, which gets worse over time. Unfortunate that Thomas doesn’t mention it, though he was juggling four consoles plus PC.

I’d also like to point out that a game that started on a 3 core 1.24GHz PPC lists a 4 core 3.9GHz i3-7100 as its minimum system requirement.

Here’s the Steam Community thread discussing fixes.

Edit: I didn’t see Dictator’s deeper dive yet, but did Epic include the ‘squeeze through a crack in the wall’ as a wink and a nod to current gen loading screens / transitions? It seemed much quicker than what I remember with God of War or AC Odyssey—which it should be given an SSD—but it still stuck out.

Edit 2: Heh, so I wasn’t the only one. Thanks, guys. Here’s the Eurogamer source for that PushSquare article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ech-demo-crevice-shimmy-wasnt-a-loading-trick

Last edited:
I didn’t see Dictator’s deeper dive yet, but did Epic include the ‘squeeze through a crack in the wall’ as a wink and a nod to current gen loading screens / transitions? It seemed much quicker than what I remember with God of War or AC Odyssey—which it should be given an SSD—but it still stuck out.
Flight of the Tomb Raider. :p

It was done for "artistic" reasons, but maybe it was also to show a very close-up shot of the rocks.

Flight of the Tomb Raider. :p

It was done for "artistic" reasons, but maybe it was also to show a very close-up shot of the rocks.
I would have been more impressed if they did a quick zoom on one of those scurrying insects. They could have avoided any gross out factor by making the beetle startle at the approach, then really scram. Bonus points for googly eyes and a scream, but that’s probably not the tone they were aiming for (though they did go a bit cartoonish, considering the protag’s huge eyes).

120hz and vrs is here already, great vid
people are going to go nuts when they play games like Halo 2 Anniversary on the XsX at 4k 120fps. I am currently playing it at 165fps 1440fps, and it is a great experience. Also the sound of the game is top notch. I connected a good Hi-Fi system to the PC and the sound has no reason to envy the sound quality of movies. Crazy

They'll have to update the tic rate of physics/animations beyond 60. It probably has an impact in how they do online as well.

Last edited:
They'll have to update the tic rate of physics/animations beyond 60. It probably has an impact in how they do online as well.
Interpolation should solve that client side, shouldn't it? Older games like Quake have really choppy animation that's smoothed out in modern source ports, regardless of framerate. But the server and logic tic rate is independent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back