Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Apparently it runs very well on an RTX 2080 laptop GPU (about 2070 Super performance) with a Samsung 970 Evo SSD, performance was in the range of 1440p, 40+fps.
A few things that I noticed from skimming through the video.
* Guy mentioned they can run the demo in the editor at 40fps, not 40+ but did not specify resolution.
* Currently Nanite has some limitations such as only works on static meshes, doesn't support deformation for animation, doesn't support skinned character model, supports opaque material but no mask.
* Lumen costs quite a bit more than Nanite
* UE5 could eventually be a hybrid renderer using both Lumen and Raytracing in the future.

Did not watch the whole 135min lol.

It's a work in progress. Probably moot to compare performance now since their target is 60fps for nextgen consoles.

Their primary targets are nextgen consoles and current generation high end PCs, plus a unified pipeline (very important to them). Mobile no guaranteed outcome at the moment.

EDIT: [Why do I get the feeling that I'm among bickering kindergarten kids ?]

They also mentioned that the assets do have some normal maps. And they had to break some into smaller sets.

Brief mention of supporting huge, interactive, dynamic world as nextgen features. And how Nanite addressed the LOD and pop-in issues. Sounds like we may see better support in that area in the future (This is just a start ?).

Last edited:
Oh and something else.....we have different texturing tools but as far as I know, none can handle millions of polygons efficiently to texture.
Sure you can polypaint on Zbrush, but other software like Substance that have dedicated texturing tools?
And what happens with the UVs? We usually have a low poly version to unwrap the UVs so we can add textures. But with a 30million polygon model from Zbrush, how do you effectively unrwap the UVs so that they dont get warped and how do you create the textures for the model?
Anyone have any ideas?
I am already working on a game and this is something that's making me curious.

DRS locked, which means gpu is full throttle / it is gpu bound and maxing the res at 1440p.
running at 1440p in an android phone could run also at 1440p 60fps with polygons/1000. Could be running at 1440p upscaled (most laptops screens have 1080p or 1440p screensar max anyway)...we dont have data.

With this video the marketing war for next-gen really started. Even though i'm certain this demo could run flawlessly on X, the random guy will associate those graphics with the PS5.

MS needs to release a demo too.

The Epic guy is saying the first scene(Lumen) can run at 40fps on his notebook, not the whole demo.

it says more:

2:08:00, SSD bandwidth (for the flying part) isn’t as that high as ppl said, not need a stricted spec SSD (decent SSD is ok).

this is very important to understand how SSD paly a role in the fly scene

so 2080 mobile and 970 evo outperforming ps5 by a 30%+ (40+fps vs 30fps at 1440p)

• 53:00, he said his notebook could run at 1440p 40fps+, optimization target is 60fps for next-gen.
  • 2:08:00, SSD bandwidth (for the flying part) isn’t as that high as ppl said, not need a stricted spec SSD (decent SSD is ok)

But at the same time it highlights how PC potential is underutilized due to the nature of its market...

Versus is strong here. I highly recommend getting both pc and a console. Enjoy all content without the need to justify one or the other to be better/worse. Life is great on both sides, especially now that most of microsoft content also comes to PC.

It's an engine born to support anything from medium/low android to the best pc configuration, with consoles in random order in the middle, why are you all so surprised that the technology that they have spent years to develop works even outside of ps5?
You are confusing epic with a first party.

Anyone have any ideas?
I am already working on a game and this is something that's making me curious.
Nobody in its right mind will use such a dense model in a real game anyway. The bloody thing is a tech demo.
The whole "we don't need normal maps" is also marketing bollocks (to their credit they only mention this when talking about the 33M statue) given that 1M tris meshes are not dense enough to retain all micro-details.
Here's a 1M tris Quixel rock without & with the normal map applied.
Annotation-2020-05-16-182651.jpg

it says more:

2:08:00, SSD bandwidth (for the flying part) isn’t as that high as ppl said, not need a stricted spec SSD (decent SSD is ok).

in this demo being as brief we dont know the memory occupied. Could be it all in 8-14 Gb. There are only graphics, no npcs, no ai...The ssd discussion comes more when you need to start swapping your RAM for new assets and above all when you need to change your 4k textures for that continous rock texture.

it says more:

Actually is 2:06:30

merely translation:
"If its a 1080P screen, 2 triangle per pixel, make some compression on vertex, than you still can run this demo, no need very high bandwidth and IO like PS5."

Actually is 2:06:30

merely translation:
"If its a 1080P screen, 2 triangle per pixel, make some compression on vertex, than you still can run this demo, no need very high bandwidth and IO like PS5."

So, at higher resolutions = higher bandwidth. I hope Cerny gives some more info about their collaboration with Epic and how he expects the SSD to be fully utilized.

So, the notebook runs the demo at 1080p?

The engineers said more. Their goal is zero overhead loading (No more splash screen. Double-click and enter game directly mainly relying on SSD performance). They believe on paper, they should be able to achieve the goal.

1. UE 4.25 implemented asynchronous/overlapped loading (Because bottleneck was the CPU). They overhauled their shaders to work well with the event-driven loader. This gave them >50% loading speed improvement.

2. In the final UE5 scene, compression and careful disk layout avoided the need for high speed SSD. The workload wasn't that high.

You can probably get a sense of where nextgen can head with the new hardware from these brief statements.

EDIT:
So, at higher resolutions = higher bandwidth. I hope Cerny gives some more info about their collaboration with Epic and how he expects the SSD to be fully utilized.

That was a tech demo. In a game, you will get more interesting results. :)

My personal dream is still to see more advancement in user generated contents (yeah yeah security and liability issues aside). These type of contents are usually not that optimized compared to developer-generated ones.

Last edited:
Nobody in its right mind will use such a dense model in a real game anyway. The bloody thing is a tech demo.
The whole "we don't need normal maps" is also marketing bollocks (to their credit they only mention this when talking about the 33M statue) given that 1M tris meshes are not dense enough to retain all micro-details.
Here's a 1M tris Quixel rock without & with the normal map applied.
Annotation-2020-05-16-182651.jpg
Maybe it's more for cinema?

in games today we always see a quality difference in lighting on characters between cutscenes and gameplay, would lumen allow for the same quality of lighting throughout the game, be it cutscene or gameplay ? Or does lumen only apply to background, like nanite ?

Just an example, not actual running it. The Epic guy wanted to emphasize that you don't need very top hardware to run UE5.

Back