Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Regarding software rasterising using CUs, I caught up reading the Eurogsmer article, and for PS5 at least, Epic are using its primitive/ geometry shaders for this area instead of CUs.

I thought the RDNA primitive shaders used the CUs to do the work, since it's just a new shader stage.

Funnily enough people used to say to me that if games like Battlefront 2015 (five years ago!), Wildlands and Breakpoint had extremely high detail due to tesselation it wouldn't look so good. Especially since other highly acclaimed video games had flat 2D objects. Now all of a sudden some people are amazed at the amount of geometry detail of this demo.

Of course the content from the UE5 demo is even more detailed but the enormous level of added detail due tesselation was mostly played down.

EDIT:
In Crysis 2 from 2011 many objects were also very well rounded which already looked very good.

Last edited:
Ok, i think we will know soon. What's funny though is that this demo doesn't have RTX. Some new technologies while nice aren't the game changer promoted by some PR.

GI is good enough to me.
We don't know how well Lumen holds up in highly dynamic scenes, such as a market place with many characters. The character in this demo is not lit uniformly with the rest of it, and there lies the possibility that Lumen is inadequate for fully unified dynamic lighting which may or may not be helped by RT hardware.

For me, the main take-home is RTRT hardware should be more flexibly than just triangle tests, to enable it to trace various volumetric representations too. Although maybe the speed-ups there beyond raw compute aren't worth the silicon of their implementation? Regardless, don't count RTRT hardware out just yet - we've several years of engine development to work through before it's properly put through its paces and potential is realised.

I thought the RDNA primitive shaders used the CUs to do the work, since it's just a new shader stage.
Well, I'm rather confused by this. I'm under the impression their primitive/ geometry block is a separate ALU. Why even give it a separate name when you use CUs for running general purpose compute?

What's funny though is that this demo doesn't have RTX. Some new technologies while nice aren't the game changer promoted by some PR.
Just because it's not using it in the demo, doesn't mean it doesn't support it, and could bring big benefits.
The demo was to demonstrate specific things, also it just may not be implemented yet.
Basically I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

Ok, i think we will know soon. What's funny though is that this demo doesn't have RTX. Some new technologies while nice aren't the game changer promoted by some PR.

GI is good enough to me.
I am more fond of their real time lighting solution, as Nadine only manage static geometry is a steep back in gameplay options: destructible environments, moving grass, trees...
I hope Sony first parties come with better solutions, they after all have a great disruptive ideas template with Dreams engine.

I'm under the impression their primitive/ geometry block is a separate ALU. Why even give it a separate name when you use CUs for running general purpose compute?

Different limitations on what they can input/output? Where the Vertex and Pixel Shaders scheme is from an earlier time of different silicon limits. Maybe it was easier to expose all the new functionality under a new name without having impact on software and hardware that has VS and PS support.

But I will admit, I'm not entirely sure either on what uses which blocks, other then when Primitive Shaders were added to GCN in 2017 they didn't see much use, with a good bit of rumor suggesting hardware bugs preventing it's usability.

I am more fond of their real time lighting solution, as Nadine only manage static geometry is a steep back in gameplay options: destructible environments, moving grass, trees...
I hope Sony first parties come with better solutions, they after all have a great disruptive ideas template with Dreams engine.

The animation is not impossible, the current version of the technology doesn't support it. After in the original post about virtual geometry image, Brian Karis told it is not good for vegetation and fence you need to use the current rendering method for this.

Funnily enough people used to say to me that if games like Battlefront 2015 (five years ago!), Wildlands and Breakpoint had extremely high detail due to tesselation it wouldn't look so good. Especially since other highly acclaimed video games had flat 2D objects. Now all of a sudden some people are amazed at the amount of geometry detail of this demo.

Of course the content from the UE5 demo is even more detailed but the enormous level of added detail due tesselation was mostly played down.
Tessellation looks like poop next to Nanite, never really liked it due to its stretched textures, sloped bottom and often weird, overly smoothed shape. Nanite is worlds better since it retains the original 3d form without stretching. Watch DF's latest analysis to see the difference.

Tessellation looks like poop next to Nanite, never really liked it due to its stretched textures, sloped bottom and often weird, overly smoothed shape. Nanite is worlds better since it retains the original 3d form without stretching. Watch DF's latest analysis to see the difference.

Of course Nanite has advantages but 2D surfaces from highly praised games look like rubbish compared to tesselated ones.

This is from 2015 with 60fps at UHD
battlefront_2015_2.jpg
battlefront_15.jpg

Last edited:

Tessellation was used for more than just static geometry. How good is Nanite for deformation and flexiblity?

The animation is not impossible, the current version of the technology doesn't support it. After in the original post about virtual geometry image, Brian Karis told it is not good for vegetation and fence you need to use the current rendering method for this.
Then what a mixture of methods you need if you only can use Nanite for static buildings. I still hope other devs come with better,more uniformed solutions.

Apparently it runs very well on an RTX 2080 laptop GPU (about 2070 Super performance) with a Samsung 970 Evo SSD, performance was in the range of 1440p, 40+fps.

so 2080 mobile and 970 evo outperforming ps5 by a 30%+ (40+fps vs 30fps at 1440p)

• 53:00, he said his notebook could run at 1440p 40fps+, optimization target is 60fps for next-gen.
  • 2:08:00, SSD bandwidth (for the flying part) isn’t as that high as ppl said, not need a stricted spec SSD (decent SSD is ok)

Yeah, the graphics look really good, way better than anything else on the market.

But at the same time, it's true that this demo is free of many standard games constraints : the world is completely empty and very static although extremely detailed. In a real game, you need to add AI, ennemies, etc.

On the other hand, we can say that developers could even have better results once they learn to master the new hardwares.

At the end, it's difficult to really know what to expect from the NG with this demo.

Last edited:
It just started with my first comment "Press X to gameplay", which is a little how the demo felt to me. Then my thoughts just kept rolling from there.

Not everything really applied to what you'd said, sorry it came off that way. Yes, cautiously optimistic, but expectations in check! :)
If all characters, tress, grasses and objects moving need traditional rasterization imagine imagine those over that demo...1 fps and devs getting crazy debugging so many systems.

But at the same time, it's true that this demo is free of many standard games constraints : the world is completely empty and very static although extremely detailed. In a real game, you need to add IA, ennemies, etc.

On the other hand, we can say that developers could even have better results once they learn to master the new hardwares.

At the end, it's difficult to really know what to expect from the NG with this demo.

That tech demo has to run on all platforms (for follow up demoes). e.g., The "squeeze" part, while not needed for PS5, can be useful for more traditional approaches.

Pretty sure exclusive titles will push the respective hardware further. Nextgen hasn't even launched yet.

The above bilibili live cast also mentioned that they will have 2 technical blog articles up the next day to talk about Lumen and Nanite.

Back