Oh boy...I am disappointed. Yes, it looks nice graphically with lots of style. But it seems like an AC game from Ubi...and I am still not over this shock. I also didn’t understand the combat: QTE, 1-hit kill everything, or how does it work? I hope I am wrong on this and the game turns out good with a good story.

Overall, I rly get the strong impression that the AA and AAA gaming industry is stagnating. Especially western developers seem to struggle hard this generation with many mediocre or forgettable high budget games.

After yesterday, I am a bit devastated as it seems that Sucker Punch might join this trend.

The foliage is really nice art/tech. Too many games still look like every bit of flora is dancing along together like they're in Steamboat Willy.

Oh boy...I am disappointed. Yes, it looks nice graphically with lots of style. But it seems like an AC game from Ubi...and I am still not over this shock. I also didn’t understand the combat: QTE, 1-hit kill everything, or how does it work? I hope I am wrong on this and the game turns out good with a good story.

Overall, I rly get the strong impression that the AA and AAA gaming industry is stagnating. Especially western developers seem to struggle hard this generation with many mediocre or forgettable high budget games.

After yesterday, I am a bit devastated as it seems that Sucker Punch might join this trend.
Yes it has that AC vibe to it which turns me off a bit as well. Visually it is stunning. But where are those awesome Samurai fights we saw in the first trailer? For whatever reason the gameplay lacks the vibe had in the original reveal

Ye dunno what happened, games getting alot of negative responses on fb, something with framerate and bland/blurry textures, besides being another AC style game. DF has an article on it allready?

I don't think the character animation is bad at all. But I do agree there are some pacing issues when transitioning from one animation to another.

GIF1
GIF2

As for the horse, I think the animation looks great. But I think it needs to interact more with the terrain, sometimes it feels like it is floating.

GIF3

Can anyone explain to me why MS/Sony/Anyone keep doing these 'live streams' at 1920 video quality. And by that, I mean the year 1920.
Clearly they have the same 4K footage ready to be posted right after that, so why bother with 1920's shitty "live stream" to begin with? Post the bloody video and off you go!

They should open a place to upload the raw video. Hire amazon or azure to assure you get the necessary bandwidth and put the videos there, not that hard.

I don't think the character animation is bad at all. But I do agree there are some pacing issues when transitioning from one animation to another.

GIF1
GIF2

As for the horse, I think the animation looks great. But I think it needs to interact more with the terrain, sometimes it feels like it is floating.

GIF3

They should open a place to upload the raw video. Hire amazon or azure to assure you get the necessary bandwidth and put the videos there, not that hard.

They don’t even need to do that! It’s a recorded video anyway, and they’re “live streaming” the recorded video at shit quality, but for what reason??

They don’t even need to do that! It’s a recorded video anyway, and they’re “live streaming” the recorded video at shit quality, but for what reason??

I don't know whether that has to do more with YT than with Sony. Twitch stream looked vastly better from what I've read. Anyway, they should have an archive with the raw feed, even if you stream it at high bitrates, youtube compression is never going to be good to show the highest amount of detail.

I have to say the footage didn't make me more excited about the game. The gameplay actually looks fairly boring... Having played Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone quite recently this seems somewhat lackluster imo. I'm not talking about the graphics, those are looking nice. I hope it has a great storytelling, that could elevate the game, but the pure gameplay in this footage just screams underwhelming to me. I still have faith in this. but I'm not so hyped anymore.

Color me unimpressed... I'm finally playing through Days Gone and it looks much better than this to me. Not to mention RDR2. Hope the gameplay is good. One nitpick I have with Sucker Punch's games: They still aren't using ragdoll physics. Hated this in every inFamous games, and will absolutely hate it here.

I liked what I saw. I didn't love it, and it's not going to revolutionise the gaming landscape, but everything on display looked solid.

I've enjoyed every Infamous game, but their close quarters combat was always terrible. It was also never the focus, so I understand why it wasn't great, but it was still lacking, nonetheless. From what I've seen, the combat looks fun: parries, instant kills when perfectly timed, gadgets, all blended nicely with the optional stealth. Sucker Punch's platforming has always been solid, so I'm sure traversal will be good fun - the bit they showed looked promising.

Fun combat, fun platforming. Two of the pillars bode well.

So it's just a matter of the story and open world being engaging. It's hard to say how they'll be without actually playing the game.

I'm getting quite bored of the busy work that open world games consist of so often, so I hope there's a new game +. That way, I can power through the main story in my first playthrough, checking out side bits and pieces as they take my fancy, but I can properly commit to rinsing all of the nooks and crannies in an NG+ playthrough.

Oh boy...I am disappointed. Yes, it looks nice graphically with lots of style. But it seems like an AC game from Ubi...and I am still not over this shock.

Actually, this what I loved most about it. I loved the older Assassin's Creed games before they RPG'ified the combat mechanics. There was no suggestication or indication of NPCs having levels.

I also didn’t understand the combat: QTE, 1-hit kill everything, or how does it work? I hope I am wrong on this and the game turns out good with a good story.
I don't think it's QTE, more a timing-based parry and attack system like Arkham and Shadow of Mordor/War. The enemies have individual health bars but some attacks look insta-kills.

The only thing I didn't like about the combat was the arrow impacts, it looked a little silly. I wholly approve of the looting, particulaly being able to ride at full speed and loot wood without stopping or even slowing. Likewise, when on foot, when you collect something the game does not make you watch an animation of the character picking something up. That gets old really quick.

Some of the responses i hear remind me of the talk before horizon and spidernan and it applies here as well. Sucker punch are making an open world stealth action game in the year 2020 on base ps4 with a samurai aesthetic banking on the novelty of their world to sell it.

I predicted that they were not trying to reinvent the wheel when the first gameplay was shown off and i was proven right. It follows gameplay conventions we have come to expect and as long as they are done well im not very fussed. Ill take that over an annual asscreed anyday.

Hell i even saw some light nioh inspired stance mechanics which is definately welcome as someone who put 1500 hours into that particular game.

Its fine to not want those kinds of experiences ofc, but i dont think anyone should have expected different.

Focusing on errant textures aside, the pop of the foliage and color detail really show things off. Cant wait for hdr version of this.

I really liked:
- The japanese medieval environments.
- Birds give you hints, you use wind to guide you, there is no semi-transparent map on screen to allow realistic immersion in a beautiful world...

- But all the previous stuff in the name of immersion is rendered useless by the presence of a traditionnal videogame map in the menu. Most people are always going to use the map in order to reach a destination, well, they'll have to constantly hit an annoying paused menu for that, killing the immersion in the big and breathless world.
- They are too much into cinematic stuff. The slow motion seen in some moves ? It's going to get old reaaaally fast. Similar stuff when using the arrow.

Not all the destinations are on the map to begin with unless I misunderstood what they said?

And it doesn't mean you have to use it.
I like the slow motion for when you get good timing for a counter or break if that's why it's happening.

The arrow death animation looked naff though.

Back