Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Will there be a Titanfall 3 though?

I fear the Titanfall series might have been jeopardized by the success of Apex Legends.
Like the RTS Warcraft series disappeared because of WoW's success.
Or every non-MP franchise from Valve because of Steam's success.

Didn't Titanfall 2 do this already though, on the quick swap between present and past? That was in 2017 and the game released on the PC and 2013 consoles.

Sure, in that case, everything is held in memory and you can freely swap between them. What the next generation of consoles will allow is more limited swapping directly from slower SSDs (slower than memory) because it's now fast enough that you may not have to hold everything in memory if you need it relatively quickly.

Hell, you could do "quick swaps" back in the 90's and even the 80's. You could do RT in the 90's and even 80's. It's just how much do you want to sacrifice to have it? A 80x40 resolution game with RT in the late 90's would likely have been possible, but most people probably wouldn't have wanted to play it. :p

Not much that will be done on either next gen console in any game would likely have been impossible on the previous gen. console. Even RT could probably be done with restrictive level design or simplistic modeling. Audio? Sure, sacrifice most of your CPU cycles and have it at less fidelity and you could do it.

It just comes down to what you would need to trade off to achieve it. The next generation of consoles is all about allowing more creative freedom in the use of various techniques with fewer sacrifices.

From a presentation perspective, we should see some pretty amazing things next gen. But any one individual feature is unlikely to be something that couldn't have been done on the previous gen.

Basically it raises the bar to X level of presentation before you start having to make sacrifices. For example, the flying that was cut from HZD. They totally could have put it in if they wanted to. But they wanted to have X level of presentation (graphics) in game and they felt that was more important than having flying in the game. Hell, you could do flying in extremely large (larger than HZD) open worlds in the 80's and 90's... :p

Regards,
SB

Finnish gamestore VPD might have spoiled Xbox Series X's release date.
https://www.vpd.fi/yakuza-like-a-dragon-xbox-one.html
"Ennakkotilaustuote, julkaisu 23.10.2020" which translates to "Preorder product, release date 23. October 2020"
Microsoft has confirmed earlier that the game is supposed to be a XSX launch title and would release simultaneously on XSX, XB1 and PC

Edit: Could be just a placeholder date, another shop listed it releasing 24th November I think

Last edited:
Finnish gamestore VPD might have spoiled Xbox Series X's release date.
https://www.vpd.fi/yakuza-like-a-dragon-xbox-one.html
"Ennakkotilaustuote, julkaisu 23.10.2020" which translates to "Preorder product, release date 23. October 2020"
Microsoft has confirmed earlier that the game is supposed to be a XSX launch title and would release simultaneously on XSX, XB1 and PC

Edit: Could be just a placeholder date, another shop listed it releasing 24th November I think
For the states Nov has been when xbox generally launches
Xbox Nov 15 2001
Xbox 360 Nov 22nd 2005
Xbox one Nov 22nd 2013
Xbox one X Nov 7th 2017

For the states Nov has been when xbox generally launches
Xbox Nov 15 2001
Xbox 360 Nov 22nd 2005
Xbox one Nov 22nd 2013
Xbox one X Nov 7th 2017

Yeah, but MS has never announced & shown off the physical console the December before it shipped either.

Tommy McClain

@3dilettante
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the architecture makeup for Xbox Series X?
So this will be more or less what a PS5 will be:
arch1.jpg

And aside from some customizations, I expect PS5 to look like this exactly, with 1 dual compute redundancy per shader engine. Going from 20 dual compute units to 18 dual compute units in total.
The 64 bit memory controller, there are 2 that feed each shader engine, and each respectively serve 1 shader array each. So right now it's pairing 64 bit memory bus with 5 dual compute units. For PS5 one will be 5 and the other will be 4 I suspect.
There are going to be 1 fixed function sections per shader array.
64*4 is exactly the 256 bit bus tied to memory.

With a 320 bit bus, what the heck does XSX actually look like?
will it be a 80 bit bus feeding 7 dual compute units per shader array?
or does the 64bit memory controller sort of mess things up? and they have to make a 1/2 shader engine for another 64 bit memory controller?

wrt the 5500XT, It is 1 Shader Engine, with 6 Dual Compute Units per Shader Array. I'm not sure if that helps, it looks like you can increase the number of CUs per shader array, but the 64 bit bus per shader array stayed in this case, but it's only got 128bit bus to memory overall. This makes sense.

So 320?

Last edited:
@3dilettante
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the architecture makeup for Xbox Series X?
So this will be more or less what a PS5 will be:
arch1.jpg

And aside from some customizations, I expect PS5 to look like this exactly, with 1 dual compute redundancy per shader engine. Going from 20 dual compute units to 18 dual compute units in total.
The 64 bit memory controller, there are 2 that feed each shader engine, and each respectively serve 1 shader array each. So right now it's pairing 64 bit memory bus with 5 dual compute units. For PS5 one will be 5 and the other will be 4 I suspect.
There are going to be 1 fixed function sections per shader array.
64*4 is exactly the 256 bit bus tied to memory.

With a 320 bit bus, what the heck does XSX actually look like?
will it be a 80 bit bus feeding 7 dual compute units per shader array?
or does the 64bit memory controller sort of mess things up? and they have to make a 1/2 shader engine for another 64 bit memory controller?

wrt the 5500XT, It is 1 Shader Engine, with 6 Dual Compute Units per Shader Array. I'm not sure if that helps, it looks like you can increase the number of CUs per shader array, but the 64 bit bus per shader array stayed in this case, but it's only got 128bit bus to memory overall. This makes sense.

So 320?
You forgot the part where it's APU and shares memory controllers with the CPU. Also AMDs memory controllers aren't assigned per SE or SA, they're assigned by L2 and L2 is shared between whole chip, not one slice per SE or SA. Any memory controller can "feed" any SE and SA.

You forgot the part where it's APU and shares memory controllers with the CPU. Also AMDs memory controllers aren't assigned per SE or SA, they're assigned by L2 and L2 is shared between whole chip, not one slice per SE or SA. Any memory controller can "feed" any SE and SA.
okay I got it.

So with the 320 bit bus. We can conclude if they're using 256KiB L2 graphics cache chips - then there should be 20x256KiB, which is 5MB of L2 cache.

Last edited:
Okay so... got it.
so Instead of 4 L2 16*4 = 64 bits, it would be 5 L2 on the outsides. 5*16 = 80 bits then.

20 L2 caches then vs 16 L2 caches that we see there.

So the current 5700XT has 4MB of L2 cache. Divided over 16 L2 caches, (4 per memory controller) then it's 256KiB per cache. But Zen2 needs 512 KiB per core which is also 4MB, so this works out fairly well, not needing to mess around with cache sizes.

But XSX is a messier situation. So XSX should have about 5MB of L2 cache then to feed both?
The GPU L2 is a completely different set of resources from the CPU L2 cache. Infinity Fabric ensures coherency, but there is no shared LLC ala Iris Pro, for example.

Of course MS is among the first to get it, surely before public preview, but like I said, I doubt anyone outside Epic has it yet since they're not releasing even preview version of the engine 'till early 2021, convert their own first game over to it in mid 2021 and release the final engine in late 2021

edit:
I'm not exactly sober so I'll try again:
I think MS will be one of the first outside Epic to get it, but I don't think anyone outside Epic has it yet, it's release date is so far ahead.
maybe , MS is also in charge of dx 12 so the two may be closely linked to make sure things are implemented properly. So who really knows

Do we ever discuss the real in-game speed of XSX SSD?

Previously I thought XSX loads 9GB at 9 seconds, which is equivalent to 1GB/s.

But considering that x1x only needs 50 seconds to load, I think the assumption of 9GB data is not quite accurate.

It may not need to read 9GB data to enter the game.

In fact if we compare the loading times, XSX is 5x faster than x1x,

Does that mean the real world speed is about 5x of x1x HDD (500MB/s for xsx if x1x reads at 100MB/s, or even less if the stock HDD of x1x can only read 50MB/s)?

Last edited:
Do we ever discuss the real in-game speed of XSX SSD?

Yes. Ad Nauseum.

Microsoft gave the specifications of 2.4 GB/s with 4.8GB/s with compression. We have to accept it for what they said, seeing how there are rarely ever public benchmarks released on this. We'll need to wait for a game's presentation at GDC to find out what they achieved.

Do you mean 2.4GB/s and 4.8GB/s?

Does MS ever state that it is peak value or an average value?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

The IO spec is 20x (xsx 2.4GB/s, x1x 120MB/s), but the loading time is only 5X faster.
(
)

Do we conclude the reason?

Isn't it possible that XSX average in-game speed is just 500MB/s or less?
(just like the 120MB/s is probably peak value of HDD, we know the HDD sometimes only reads at 50MB/s or even slower)

Back