All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a purchase from a site like GOG considered digital? Downloading to your hard drive and installing the software similar to a CD?

All depends on if they can engineer a super-cheap device. Although I don't feel that has the selling power of the PS2 super-slim which I think sold to a different audience for SingStar, EyeToy, and other odd titles, rather than selling on the strength of traditional console games.

and dvd player. for a time, PS2 was a cheap dvd player (and for a few who uses homebrew apps, also network media player). Maybe differ from region to region tho.

Sony doesn't have to worry "IF" people will get in their ecosystem...

Oh they do. The real winners of the eco system thing are the market leaders and you want to be the top dog at any cost really because you want to be the service that's a necessity for your target audience.

All depends on if they can engineer a super-cheap device. Although I don't feel that has the selling power of the PS2 super-slim which I think sold to a different audience for SingStar, EyeToy, and other odd titles, rather than selling on the strength of traditional console games.

Casual titles + a 99$ price tag. I remember getting drunk playing Buzz on PS2 in 2007/08 lol. A lot of people bought those slims either to have a cheap console to play or to replace the phat PS2.

I don't see how PS4 could reach those prices but, inflation adjusted, a 199$ PS4 bundled with FIFA, MADDEN or GT could sell quite well, especially in developing markets.

I never got my Cell in PS5, so there's no way you're getting your PS4Portable. :(

Ok then.
I guess I'll have to contend with the PSP Neo.
It's a new portable console that just happens to run PS4 digital games.

retweeted by guy from Bloomberg

unknown.png

Sony's lower forecast could be attributed to many things: covid impact, lower margin on the new console, increased marketing cost due to a new console launch, etc.

CD Projekt has overtaken Ubisoft to become Europe’s biggest game company
Back in February, we reported that CD Projekt had become one of the biggest video game companies in Europe – second only to Ubisoft. Now, just a few months later (as reported by Gameplay Mechanix) CD Projekt has officially become the biggest European game company. Recent figures put Ubisoft’s market value at €7.82 Billion. CD Projekt meanwhile rests at €8.01 Billion.

https://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/...isoft-to-become-europes-biggest-game-company/

Market value is a nonsense. A value derived from the whims of analysts like Michael Pachter. CDPR's market value is almost entirely predicated on the anticipation of Cyberpunk 2077 and it being as successful as The Witcher. Once they've shot that game, given the only make one game every 5 years, their market value will plummet again.

I also don't believe Cyberpunk will appeal more than the Witcher. Hollywood is a good barometer for what appeals because any money that can be made will result in a blizzard of content for that genre genres in TV and movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
CDPR's market value is almost entirely predicated on the anticipate of Cyberpunk 2077 and it being as successful as The Witcher. Once they've shot that given, given the only make one game every 5 years, their market value will plummet again.

I would assume GoG is factored into the value of CDPR?

Market value is a nonsense. A value derived from the whims of analysts like Michael Pachter. CDPR's market value is almost entirely predicated on the anticipation of Cyberpunk 2077 and it being as successful as The Witcher. Once they've shot that game, given the only make one game every 5 years, their market value will plummet again.

I also don't believe Cyberpunk will appeal more than the Witcher. Hollywood is a good barometer for what appeals because any money that can be made will result in a blizzard of content for that genre genres in TV and movies.

Ehh, CDPR are trying to emulate the Rockstar model. Take a loooong time (til it's done!), but the games are almost too big to fail (that's not the way they'd put it, that's my spin). If they can successfully do this, they'll do well. GTA V was just announced to sell 130 million and RDR 2 is at 31 million already.

I mean I dont know what Take/Two Rockstar stock looks like but, yeah.

Do I think CDPR should be valued over Ubisoft? Probably not.

Also, market cap evaluations :LOL: For example Tesla was/is valued many times Ford or GM, despite selling 1/16 as many vehicles as those or something like that. It's kind of all based on nonsense.

Yeah. This is what less powerful gets you.

COSTS COSTS COSTS.

100 bucks off the sticker times 10 million consoles (maybe a conservative first year)=$1 billion dollars.

(and it wont help)

Of course not that I'm buying this 399, 499 or any other price for PS5 at this time. 20% lower YoY I'd think could be PS4 slowdown as current gen is winding down faster than expected (Sony has missed PS4 ship targets for example)

Yeah. This is what less powerful gets you.

COSTS COSTS COSTS.

100 bucks off the sticker times 10 million consoles (maybe a conservative first year)=$1 billion dollars.

(and it wont help)

Of course not that I'm buying this 399, 499 or any other price for PS5 at this time. 20% lower YoY I'd think could be PS4 slowdown as current gen is winding down faster than expected (Sony has missed PS4 ship targets for example)

PS4 had a first target of 15 millions after the target was set down to 13,5 millions and they shipped 13,6 millions PS4. This is ok and they will probably do a PS4 price cut when PS5 will arrive.

Ehh, CDPR are trying to emulate the Rockstar model. Take a loooong time (til it's done!), but the games are almost too big to fail (that's not the way they'd put it, that's my spin). If they can successfully do this, they'll do well. GTA V was just announced to sell 130 million and RDR 2 is at 31 million already.
The Rockstar and GTA/RDR comparison is interesting because like how RDR2 sales lag behind GTA V at equivalent points in time, likely due to less broad appeal of westerns over modern crime drama, I think we'll see the same with Witcher 3 vs Cyberpunk - because I perceive less appeal for Cyberpunk that sword/fantasy which is evidenced just about everything - TV, books, movies.

Maybe that'll change.

Also, market cap evaluations :LOL: For example Tesla was/is valued many times Ford or GM, despite selling 1/16 as many vehicles as those or something like that. It's kind of all based on nonsense.

Yes, that's why I said they're a nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back