Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

yup, the RDNA 1 and 2 is capable of discarding 2 triangles per clock cycle per primitive engine (there are 4 on PS5). Ramping up the clock cycles would let you discard more.

Last edited:
yup, the RDNA 1 and 2 is capable of discarding 2 triangles per clock cycle per ROP or RBE, don't quite recall. Ramping up the clock cycles would let you discard more.
"We went for the fastest platform possible for not drawing stuff..."
"We manage to draw even less than the competition despite clocking way faster."
"With AMD's next-gen GPUs, we can get limitless framerates using our new Don't-Draw-Squat early job rejection system. No matter how many draw calls you issue, RDNA3 won't draw a single bloody thing on the screen!"

"With AMD's next-gen GPUs, we can get limitless framerates using our new Don't-Draw-Squat early job rejection system. No matter how many draw calls you issue, RDNA3 won't draw a single bloody thing on the screen!"
its heavily compute intensive.
8K textures are 2^13 in size, 8096*906 pixels. There are 13 mips. MIP13 is 1 pixel in size. Micro geometry says the 1 triangle per pixel is the lowest rendering. So 1 pixel from the texture and 1 triangle from the micro-geometry at MIP13.
I don't think this is coincidence. There have found some way to correlate MIP levels with geometry.

Cerny said Fast and Narrow is better at dealing with a lot of very small polys. Now it makes sense if they predicted future games would have a crazy geometry density, and a shift from baked lighting to real time light relying on the high model detail.

Yeah, it's like Sony designed a console wholly optimised to run UE5. :runaway:

Yeah, it's like Sony designed a console wholly optimised to run UE5. :runaway:

I'm pretty sure he has gotten input from Epic, Unity and Crytek. The more we know the more I'm convinced PS5's GPU insanely high frequency and SSD speed were in Cerny's mind from the beginning.

I'm pretty sure he has gotten input from Epic, Unity and Crytek. The more we know the more I'm convinced PS5's GPU insanely high frequency and SSD speed were in Cerny's mind from the beginning.
Yeah, could be. I don't subscribe to the theory that Sony just clocked their APU bonkers high at the last minute as a reaction to Series X 12Tf reveal - yields and binning just don't work like that.

On the face of it, PS5 looks like the weird design but it is actually Series X that is bucking some technology trends here, whereas PS5 has adopted them. For starters CPU/GPU/APU boost clocks according to load have been standard in Intel/AMD/Nvidia chips for a long while and Series X has fixed clocks. Second AMD are clocking RDNA faster whereas Microsoft are clocking slower.

It's only when you look at conventional console tech that PS5 looks weird. If you look at the wider technology landscape, it is Series X that is weird. That's cool, I like weird.

Because how many of their First Party Studios use Unreal Engine instead of their own custom engine? ;)
Sony Bend (Days Gone) certainly do. Is this the start of a tend? :runaway:

Yeah, could be. I don't subscribe to the theory that Sony just clocked their APU bonkers high at the last minute as a reaction to Series X 12Tf reveal - yields and binning just don't work like that.

Right, especially when the GPU with SmartShift came about Summer 2019.

I supposse Sony will make all this dev friendly features in an engine like Decima and try to spread it between its studios.
By the way, new RedGamingTech video claims L3 cache in PS5 CPU is common between the two ZEN cpu CCXs, avoiding infinity fabric accesses to share data between them:

On the face of it, PS5 looks like the weird design but it is actually Series X that is bucking some technology trends here, whereas PS5 has adopted them. For starters CPU/GPU/APU boost clocks according to load have been standard in Intel/AMD/Nvidia chips for a long while and Series X has fixed clocks. Second AMD are clocking RDNA faster whereas Microsoft are clocking slower.

It's only when you look at conventional console tech that PS5 looks weird. If you look at the wider technology landscape, it is Series X that is weird. That's cool, I like weird.

Sony Bend (Days Gone) certainly do. Is this the start of a tend? :runaway:

The new Sony San Diego studio use Unreal Engine and not first party but heavily rumored to do a PS5 exclusive Housemarque use Unreal Engine.

The new Sony San Diego studio use Unreal Engine and not first party but heavily rumored to do a PS5 exclusive Housemarque use Unreal Engine.

I wonder whether SE will transition to UE5, and we'll see FFVII R Part 2 already on a new engine.

It takes a Potemkin Village to raise the Next Gen Experience.

I supposse Sony will make all this dev friendly features in an engine like Decima and try to spread it between its studios.
By the way, new RedGamingTech video claims L3 cache in PS5 CPU is common between the two ZEN cpu CCXs, avoiding infinity fabric accesses to share data between them:
Considering that's one of the major changes in Zen 3 over Zen 2, I doubt it.

Back