Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

It would work, just not at this fidelity, it is a combination of both heavy computation and heavy I/O.
Both need to move together to reach a higher level of fidelity. You dial it back and the requirements will lessen. I'm not sure how much additional hardware feature set is required over what we have today with what they built with UE5.

You would have popups, popups everywhere, regardless of the level of fidelity most likely. Here you see none. Unless by lower fidelity you mean shockingly low quality geometry and textures.

You would have popups, popups everywhere, regardless of the level of fidelity most likely. Here you see none. Unless by lower
fidelity you mean shockingly low quality geometry and textures.
How do you call it this demo then? If the graphics end up having to look like a PS3's so that they can be steamed fast enough, how is it the same thing?
It's not the going to be the same thing. It should look like better than what we have today though. But not enough to cross the threshold of next gen graphics.

But that should mean that, a game made in UE5 can be back ported to this gen. If you can reduce enough detail to make it work.

It's not the going to be the same thing. It should look like better than what we have today though. But not enough to cross the threshold of next gen graphics.

But that should mean that, a game made in UE5 can be back ported to this gen. If you can reduce enough detail to make it work.

Really? Because when the demo went outside my jaw dropped at the level of detail and draw distance in display, plus the very fast moving and the detail keeping constant throughout.

Really? Because when the demo went outside my jaw dropped at the level of detail and draw distance in display, plus the very fast moving and the detail keeping constant throughout.
They stated themselves that Fortnite is being moved to UE5. And supports our current generation of devices including all the ones for mobile, IOS, and Android.

i also want to see how all this tech will benefit to VR.
What do you mean? The visuals will improve presumably, or are you interested if UE5 has VR-specific stereoscopic rendering optimisations?

They stated themselves that Fortnite is being moved to UE5. And supports our current generation of devices including all the ones for mobile, IOS, and Android.

I'm sure UE5 will work on toasters, but did they specifically say this new virtual geometry pipeline and virtual texturing solution will work on old hardware? I imagine it must require new hardware features behind it, and will be targeted to PS5, Series X. and Turing, RDNA2 GPUs.

Everybody should get its expectations in check. This is a GDC tech demo equivalent to the Star Wars Reflections from GDC 2018 which to this day as amounted/resulted in basically nothing in terms réal world product (realsed games of the same IQ quality etc) same for any other previous tech demo. It's going to take years before this translates I to anything tangible for gamers.
The bloody thing isn't going to be production ready until the end of 2021!

Tech-demos are the equivalent of pre-rendered PR Bullshots/videos in relation to real products/games.

Last edited:
What do you mean? The visuals will improve presumably, or are you interested if UE5 has VR-specific stereoscopic rendering optimisations?
i expected PS4pro graphics in VR at least for PS5, but now i think they might look better than i thought.

I'm afraid I'm missing your point? That's like you are saying that game running UE4 like FF7R should run on iOS and Android just because the engine supports them?

Regardless, I'm not discussing that the engine supports low tier devices, but obviously those devices won't be able to do everything top tier ones can. You are apparently saying they can.

If that's so, what's the point of a new generation? Just keep pumping games for the current one with UE5!!

Everybody should get its expectations in check. This is the equivalent this a GDC tech demo equivalent to the Star Wars Reflections from GDC 2018 which to this day as amounted/resulted in basically nothing in terms réal world product (realsed games of the same IQ quality etc) same for any other previous tech demo. It's going to take years before this translates I to anything tangible for gamers.
The bloody thing isn't going to be production ready until the end of 2021!

Tech-demos are the equivalent of pre-rendered PR Bullshots/videos in relation to real products/games.
I think the optimism is that even 1/10th of this level of detail (33 million polys for each statue, and then putting 500 in there in the same room?? Madness) would still give us something that is light years apart from what we have seen to this day.

Anything using temporal “whatever technique/effect" is a no go for VR. So most of the cool tech (especially in UE) is well not applicable to VR.

I don't disagree with your healthy scepticism but did you watch the post video interview? This is a playable tech demo that plays different each time. It's not 100% scripted and pre-rendered. Sure, the insane zbrush models and 8K textures are likely not representative of final games, but otherwise this is the closest tech demo to approximate actual games that we've seen for a long time.

I'm sure UE5 will work on toasters, but did they specifically say this new virtual geometry pipeline and virtual texturing solution will work on old hardware? I imagine it must require new hardware features behind it, and will be targeted to PS5, Series X. and Turing, RDNA2 GPUs.

no they said nanite is exclusive to new hardwares that can support it.

Back