Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread, but it contains Geoff Keighley talking with 3 people from Epic including Tim Sweeny

This is part of the Summer Games Fest content, it was a scheduled stream - just nobody knew what the stream would be about. It kicked off with the UE5/PS5 tech demo then went straight into JK interviewing the Epic guys. This is how I saw the UE5 reveal.

the PS5 version is mostly around 1440p, a 4TF system would be mostly around 900p everything else being equal. Drop the settings a notch and 1080p should be doable.
Personally I don't see why would need to render at 1080p.
900p upscaled for what you pay for and tv your using seemed like it would look amazing based on the gif i saw.
You still wouldn't be thinking this could be done on current gen.

Its a shame. Hopefully there is some a happy middle ground between this tech demo and a playable game. I am not sure how happy I would be if we are back to 1080p /1440p. Although I can just buy a faster video card. It will suck getting hampered by another console generation

Why? If anything consoles targeting lower res and frame rate is much better for high end PC's.

That's why it's a next gen tech demo...

My point is the next Tomb Raider might mot look too far off from that.

yes, that's just you said it does not look that insane, but this level of detail is unmatched in any game for now (or star citizen maybe ?)
that to me that's a lot more important than resolution, from PS3 to PS4 we did not have that kind of jump in details.

Yes. How else do you get so much detail into the limited RAM to draw? All that data is being streamed from storage, which is what this is a tech showcase for and why the demo was made.
you only request what you need, and not everything.

Why? If anything consoles targeting lower res and frame rate is much better for high end PC's.

Yup. The biggest selling games on PS3 and PS4 were 30fps which is a strong indicator that the vast majority do not consider 30fps a red line. Likewise, whilst I'm aware some people do game close to their screen, or have bonkers-large screens where 4K would be beneficial, the vast majority likely do not. And Sony (and Microsoft) will know this from their consoles's phoning home and reporting what kit the console is connected too.

Having an end-to-end 4K rendering pipeline seems really wasteful for lots of people. 1080p might be a little low for many, but 1440p feels a good intermediate. It's been my sweet spot for years now and even running a 2080Ti, I still set the render resolution in all games to 1440p with an upscale and output to 4K.

Yup. The biggest selling games on PS3 and PS4 were 30fps which is a strong indicator that the vast majority do not consider 30fps a red line. Likewise, whilst I'm aware some people do game close to their screen, or have bonkers-large screens where 4K would be beneficial, the vast majority likely do not. And Sony (and Microsoft) will know this from their consoles's phoning home and reporting what kit the console is connected too.

Having an end-to-end 4K rendering pipeline seems really wasteful for lots of people. 1080p might be a little low for many, but 1440p feels a good intermediate. It's been my sweet spot for years now and even running a 2080Ti, I still set the render resolution in all games to 1440p with an upscale and output to 4K.
100%. We’ve been saying it for years and if even DF say that at this point with temporal or reconstruction techniques there is no point even pixel counting, then really this “native res” brigade needs to take a seat.

We've spent a long time poring over a range of 3840x2160 uncompressed PNG screenshots supplied by the firm. They defy pixel-counting, with resolution as a metric pretty much as meaningless as it is for, say, a Blu-ray movie.

But if your drive is 1/100th the performance, how could they get anything like this on current gen? You're suggesting Rangers is right and this could and should be a current-gen experience?
It would work, just not at this fidelity, it is a combination of both heavy computation and heavy I/O.
Both need to move together to reach a higher level of fidelity. You dial it back and the requirements will lessen. I'm not sure how much additional hardware feature set is required over what we have today with what they built with UE5.

Not if feature start getting left off a game because the consoles can't run it well. the 360/ps3 held back the progression of graphics because they were on the market for so long and the ps4/xbo are doing the same.

Back