General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Ah, I see. Yeah, bit of a reach to think people would see that number in the corner and make the connection. ;) Maybe add a caption something like,

"What's this bottom left? ;)"

It's pretty simple way of looking at playability if fps is only deciding factor. For me Horizon Zero Dawn was one of the high points of playability this gen. Never got frustrated with horizon, always when I died I felt it was my fault, not the games fault. On the other hand one of the most frustrating games to play was GTAV which I played with pc with high framerate and freesync enabled display. GTA games for me have always been frustrating to the point I want to throw the game out of windows every now and then. I can see fps being the key factor on some games but not all. For something like tekken, gran turismo, competitive first person shooters,... I'm 100% on 30fps is not enough bandwagon.

I did not buy RDR2 because of the horrible gameplay of GTA5. The very bad shooting phase. You are not the only one.

It was obvious to me;-)

I had a chuckle.

It wasn't obvious to me since we had discussed the SOC shot when it was new months ago and I didn't see anything new that could be brought up now.

We have some very nice looking Mafia 1 Remake screenshots.

They look so good, in particular the reflections, that make me think they may come from the Next-Gen version of the game.

If so for me it would be the first Next-Gen game that look good, despite being cross-gen.

EX6IgzkWAAAtIGw

EX6IhEEWsAE9dI8

When I saw then I was thinking "It looks much better than the last GTA!" then I realized that GTA V is a game built for Xbox 360 and PS3 and during this generation we haven't had many GTA Clones (I can't even name one of them)

When I saw then I was thinking "It looks much better than the last GTA!" then I realized that GTA V is a game built for Xbox 360 and PS3 and during this generation we haven't had many GTA Clones (I can't even name one of them)
RDR2?
Of course, that's not an urban setting..

Watch Dogs 1 & 2 spring to mind. I only played 2 and it didn't stand out as generation removed from GTAV.

Damn, completely forgot about WD.

WD1 never looked very good to me but Watch Dogs 2 was great, beating GTA V in most aspects, definitely looking next-gen.
Was it pushing current-gen to its limits? Well probably not, it was released 3 years after WD1, almost 4 years ago.

Yeah, a whole generation with no new GTA game. :runaway: We had two (GTA IV and GTV V) last gen so the only new game Rockstar delivered in an entire generation was RDR2.

Equally, by the end of this generation Naughty Dog only have released two big games - Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us 2. Uncharted Lost Legacy was a mini, and the other games were PS4 re-masters of Uncharted 1-3 (outsourced to Blue Point) and The Last of Us. Likewise, Sucker Punch have only released Infamous Second Son, and the mini Infamous Last Light and will release Ghost of Tsushima imminently. Development of big AAA games is really grinding compared to previous generations.

Damn, completely forgot about WD.

WD1 never looked very good to me but Watch Dogs 2 was great, beating GTA V in most aspects, definitely looking next-gen.
Was it pushing current-gen to its limits? Well probably not, it was released 3 years after WD1, almost 4 years ago.
Oh WD1 did look great. Then they released it and it didn't. Like oh so many Ubisoft titles before and after. (some of the lost beauty could be enabled via editing some configs, they literally cut the graphics on PC because of consoles were too far behind or something)

Back