Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I think the full splash screens are fine for your initial startup of a game, kinda makes for a nice cinematic presentation. And after you've created a save it can use heavily abridged/combined/simplified versions; or remove them entirely. Then of course when you're suspending/resuming they'd be bypassed entirely.

A nice approach with some games would be to load straight to the main menu screen with a full background, interactive menu elements in one spot and then have the intro logos just fade in and out in an area with free space.

He is right.

Either show something worth my time or don't occupy the slot in my news feed, Sony. This is just annoying.
No one is really anticipating the video they need to look at while the game is loading.
Well they had to have something to compete with Microsoft showing a bunch of prerendered videos. The sad thing is we don't even know if this startup animation is in engine, offline rendered to spec, or realtime on a real PS5.

I suspect Sony isn't too keen on over hyping new PS5 content right now due to Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part 2 both releasing in these two months so as to not impact their time in the spotlight.

Then don't show anything ? There is not point showing this starting vidéo, at all. Hyping GoT would make more sens. For whatever reason I keep forgeting about it (for TLoU2, well good luck with that).

Ratchet and Clank feels a bit cheating to me because it wasn't created in house, but was independent. And Sackboy is old IP. In filling out the breadth of games on show to include cartoon/family/fun, Sony have had to fudge things a bit. Knack is perhaps the only current character who'd fill that slot. And Astrobot. Sackboy is more recognisable, but Astrobot is more contemporary.

The early Ratchet & Clanks games were developed with lots of Sony first party party input, both from Naughty Dog (whose studio was next door and who provided the Jak engine) and Sony Santa Monica. That doesn't necessarily mean creative input but the franchise wasn't developed wholly independently, plus you can be sure that Sony reviewed the games over the course of the development and nipped and tucked here and there - that's just how it works.

No one is really anticipating the video they need to look at while the game is loading.
I am not anticipating a video while my game is loading at all!!! From the October 2019 Wired article: "Cerny first extolled for the way it can turn loading time from a hassle to a blink". It does not take me seventeen seconds to blink. :nope:

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect Sony isn't too keen on over hyping new PS5 content right now due to Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part 2 both releasing in these two months so as to not impact their time in the spotlight.
I thought exactly the same. But I'd do it differently. I'd start pushing the PS5 already, making sure that they also advertise that TLOU2 and GOT can be played (with better graphics maybe? better framerates?) on PS5. That would be nice, and a day 1 purchase from me, since I'm kind of holding on this info right now, in view of a few of this kinds of confirmations.

The way BC now works, and with some benefits to older games, means that they are not really cannibalising themselves by revealing the PS5 early.

Maybe their just not ready to show anything, just like MS, and wait to around E3 time. Its abit early maybe now. What we have got, not from sony, but godfall and quantum error.

That was not a concern last time around [nor should be now].

We got big Feb2013 PS4 unveil... and then God of War Ascension in March.
Then big and amazing E3 presentation of PS4... and then few days later TLOU1 launched.
Around PS4 launch, we also got few big PS3 games - Beyond Two Souls, new R&C and even Gran Turismo 6 [and Puppeteer].

Those PS3 games did not suffer with sales just because PS4 was heavily promoted at the same time. A good game will sell well.

I don't know why the buzz about PS5 reveal. Sony has stated, and did so with PS4 Pro, that they intend to show their products close to launch, trying to imitate what Apple does.

edit: 100 pages already?!

That was not a concern last time around [nor should be now].

I broadly agree but conditions now are not like in 2013. You can't dismiss the economic impact of COVID-19 on people's buying decisions, not to mention we don't know PS5's launch lineup yet. Having PS4 compatibility built-in takes the pressure off of having as many launch games, but you still want a compelling package. I wonder, would Sony rather 10 million people buy TLoU2 and Ghosts and 1-2m less buy PS5 or have lower game sales and higher launch console sales because I'm certain that some people will be making that decision. Not everybody has a fat disposal income and if they did, it may not longer be as secure as it was.

You realise you are also whining, right? You're just whining about whining. ;)
Oh great now you are whining that he is whining about others whining.......

and now I am whining that you are whining that he is whining that they are whining.......

I don't see this this video having any direct connection with PS5.
It's not as if they couldn't use this on PS4 games, and I suspect they will.

I thought outside of Ghost and Lou2 that all First Party Sony games would be PS5 exclusives, so nothing they could use on PS4. Or are you saying Sony will continue to make cross-gen games too?

Back