A new video card for my son for his birthday.

Well $340 for a 2060 is your entry level RTX. If that's too much then RT and DLSS isn't an option.

The 2060 Super is essentially the same as the regular 2070 so keep that in mind. Also you can get a Radeon 5700 for <$350 and it performs similar to the 2060 Super / 2070 but without RTX and shit obviously. I've heard tell of driver issues with the 5700 series from reputable sources but I think I read they were resolved.

Well some good news! I managed to take off the front bumper and skid plate from the Jeep, tomorrow I install the winch plate/winch and put it all back on!

Oh, and OW!

I'm not panicking, mebbe I'll get lucky and when they announce their new professional card on the 12th or 14th something will leak about the next ones release date and might find some bargains. Still got 3 weeks. :)

Progress continues!

jeepfrontdoneish.jpg

I figure by the time I finish making her Jeep super-awesomer she'll be more willing to go for a better viddy card.

Progress continues!

View attachment 3850

I figure by the time I finish making her Jeep super-awesomer she'll be more willing to go for a better viddy card.

whoa! the photo mode on "Digi's Jeep modding simulator" looks really good.

btw, seriously, it looks good (not digging the red "defcon?" sticker tho). also makes me remember my old car (photo not mine, grabbed from google images) from many years ago

850454656.jpg

Ok. His birthday is in 12 days, (23rd of May), and my wife just made me run to the cash machine to get $250 as a down-payment on a new german shepard puppy from the girl who gave us Buffy. We won't be getting her until July 4th as she was born yesterday, but this is the first time in my life I have paid money for an animal other than shelter fees and it makes me feel wrong/bad/dirty. (Another $250 when we get the dog, so it's not an insane price for a pure-bred..still)

After handing my neighbor the handful of cash I decided to inform my wife that I was getting my son a $400 viddy card for his birthday and it may cost up to $450. Fuck it, 2060 super or a 2070?

I think I'm ordering it tonight, strike while the opportunity is there.

Remind me not to be tempted by the 5700 xt deals and to stick with at least a 2060 super or 2070 please! I get weak at last minute...

I for one think there are advantages in paying for a purebred.
Not because it's prettier or classier or some shit, but because known breeds are mostly known variables. You'll find lots of info about what to expect from e.g. a labrador, what foods most of them like, how they behave next to small children, what they're usually afraid of, what kinds of human food they can ingest without harming them too much, etc.
In the end, whatever you pay up front for the dog you may end up saving in the long run on veterinarian fees.

Sure, there are lots of perfectly healthy and kind animals in shelters that will be taken down if you don't adopt them and that's dramatic. But when the moment arrives where you need to choose what's best for your family - especially if there are young children around - our priorities must be set accordingly.

But yeah, 2060 Super or 2070 is the lowest anyone should get at the moment. Here's hoping AMD will get the RDNA2 cards out ASAP, because the current Navi cards will become obsolete very fast after the new consoles come out.

Back