How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

In all honesty, just producing something @ this level and make it 60 fps with some minor improvements and throw in the next gen features and we're sold.
I literally gasped at my TV at the end of the bike scene.

And hey, it's totally possible because they use the same engine.

death-stranding-screen-us-11jun18-19.jpg

One thing that Death Stranding does brilliantly is irregular silhouettes to it's rocks/cliffs/landscape. It's sorely missing from most (all?) other games.

Not sure that's that noticeable to the general public though.

I'm sure whatever Kojima Productions used to achieve the effect (both tech and production) will be rolled back into HZD2

In the QA part of this video, they explain the cinematic tools was totally revamped for KP needs and it will help probably for HZD2. And many tools will improve for hZD2 and will help to produce better content.

Here for the DLC Frozen Wild, they said they used for the first time photogrammetry. I suppose it helps them have a better shading before modifiying the aspect in post processing for reach the BBC hyper-realism, like BBC modification of real cam footage in post-production.

Last edited:
https://www.vg247.com/2020/05/11/microsoft-ps5-undercut-sony-xbox-series-x/

I certainly can see MS having certain price points they can hit if they need too , but how low would they be willing to go $100 could equate to billions. They would have to sell a lot of accessories and games to make up for that.

Also that would put a rumored lockheart in a tougher space. If the ps5 is $400 then a $300 xbox series x sounds amazing but what would lock heart be $150 ?

I think both systems will just be at the same price or within $50 of each other

People have been touting MS’s “unlimited funds” for generations now, hoping they’d undercut their competitors, but in reality MS is just like any other business and they very much do not like taking losses on anything. As it should be. I don’t see how this time is any different - they even launched the One at a higher price point than the PS4 and did not change that for quite a long time. The One X was a beast and didn’t launch at a loss as far as I know, even though they had every reason to try and catch up with Sony this time around, given the huge gap in market share.

Last edited:
People have been touting MS’s “unlimited funds” for generations now, hoping they’d undercut their competitors, but in reality MS is just like any other business and they very much do not like taking losses on anything. As it should be. I don’t see how this time is any different - they even launched the One at a higher price point than the PS4 and did not change that for quite a long time. The One X was a beast and didn’t launch at a loss as far as I know, even though they had every reason to try and catch up with Sony this time around, with the huge gap in market share.

The source is micheal pachter. When he said something most of the time exactly the opposite arrive.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/05/11/microsoft-ps5-undercut-sony-xbox-series-x/

I certainly can see MS having certain price points they can hit if they need too , but how low would they be willing to go $100 could equate to billions. They would have to sell a lot of accessories and games to make up for that.

Also that would put a rumored lockheart in a tougher space. If the ps5 is $400 then a $300 xbox series x sounds amazing but what would lock heart be $150 ?

I think both systems will just be at the same price or within $50 of each other
it wasn't just patcher
"t least, that’s according to Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter, and former EA and Microsoft executive Peter Moore"

The source is micheal pachter. When he said something most of the time exactly the opposite arrive.
Peter Moore agress in the article as well:
“Microsoft right now – the stock price, the market cap – everything’s flying for them,” he added. “Does Satya [Nadella, Microsoft CEO] say, you know, ‘this is our opportunity right now, as we did with Xbox 360, let’s get in, let’s price it right’?

Is that based on the assumption that PS5 is $400? Who thinks they will hit that target? Not me.

Tommy McClain

I think before a $100 price on the console or even a $50 price on the console reduction they should invest that Billion or so into more studios. That would be the best way to imrpove their lot. But aside from that if the rumors of sony at $470 for the hardware is true and MS is around a similar price I could see MS being willing to move the price down to $450

But I think lock heart is their play for the low end market

Peter Moore agress in the article as well:
“Microsoft right now – the stock price, the market cap – everything’s flying for them,” he added. “Does Satya [Nadella, Microsoft CEO] say, you know, ‘this is our opportunity right now, as we did with Xbox 360, let’s get in, let’s price it right’?
And why on earth would MS want to tank their share price by pricing their new product so as to lose them billions?
As stated by others, they might as well spend that money on securing the best games that they can. That would be a much better investment.

I think some here are overlooking new purchase options like Xbox All Access. Why does MS have to sell their consoles the same way as previous gens? Why can't they find creative new ways to sell a console? Another option is they could sell a new console @ $400 but require a 12-month GamePass subscription for a discount at $100 instead of $120.

Tommy McClain

I think some here are overlooking new purchase options like Xbox All Access. Why does MS have to sell their consoles the same way as previous gens? Why can't they find creative new ways to sell a console? Another option is they could sell a new console @ $400 but require a 12-month GamePass subscription for a discount at $100 instead of $120.

Tommy McClain
That would be an optional bundle.
Otherwise you've got another kinnect situation forcing people to buy something they may not want, no matter if you think it's a good deal or not.

That would be an optional bundle.
Otherwise you've got another kinnect situation forcing people to buy something they may not want, no matter if you think it's a good deal or not.

Think of it another way:

$500 Series X with 12-month GamePass subscription
vs
$500 Series X without 12-month GamePass subscription

Not the same as Kinect at all.

This is how MS competes with a $500 PS5 with no bundled services. They could do the same if PS5 was $400 or $450. Just bundle GamePass & match them on price.

Tommy McClain

Back