How to make UWP games works with APO-based Audio Equalizer on W10?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Need it to boost low freq on Forza Horizon 4, so i can feel the driving/engine roam/ground texture with my body (subwoofer) without fiddling back and forth with the sound system's decibel setting

Either use built-in equalizer that comes with your audio card, or install and configure a 3rd party equaliser APO.

Realtek audio drivers R2.82 for Windows Vista/7/8/10 include a graphic equalizer in the Realtek HD Audio Manager (a Control Panel applet).
There are newer Realtek UAD drivers for Windows 10 that come with UWP Realtek Audio Console which also includes a graphic equalizer.

Some audio drivers do not come with a custom UI, you have to use Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Manage Audio - <Speakers> - Properties - Enhancements tab.

You can also install he free graphic/parametric Equalizer APO (comes with built-in preset editor, can be used with Room Equalizer Wizard).

Last edited:
Either use built-in equalizer that comes with your audio card, or install and configure a 3rd party equaliser APO.

Realtek audio drivers R2.82 for Windows Vista/7/8/10 include a graphic equalizer in the Realtek HD Audio Manager (a Control Panel applet).
There are newer Realtek UAD drivers for Windows 10 that come with UWP Realtek Audio Console which also includes a graphic equalizer.

Some audio drivers do not come with a custom UI, you have to use Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Manage Audio - <Speakers> - Properties - Enhancements tab.

You can also graphic/parametric equalizer software like the free Equalizer APO (can be configured with alternate PC Equalizer GUI and Room Equalizer Wizard)

the dolby app doesnt work for UWP apps :( there's also no audio enhancements on windows sound panel.
i cant use realtek as i funnelled the surround sound thru HDMI. Theoretically i should be able to render audio to realtek HD, then mirror it to HDMI using graphedit or virtual cables but it would add too much lag .

but yeah, funnelling the audio to realtek HD should allow equalizer to work even for UWP

You can insert Equalizer APO above to the HDMI Audio output; setup instructions are available from the SoundForge project page.

You can also use built-in Microsoft effects with the HDMI Audio driver from your video card manufacturer.

Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Manage Audio - <your display> - Properties - Enhancements tab - <filter> - Enhancement Properties - Settings

Last edited:
You can insert Equalizer APO above to the HDMI Audio output; setup instructions are available from the SoundForge project page.

You can also use built-in Microsoft filters with the HDMI Audio driver from your video card manufacturer.

Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Manage Audio - <your display> - Properties - Enhancements tab - <filter> - Enhancement Properties - Settings

Unfortunately there's no enhancements tab on the audio control panel.

Btw how to insert equalizer APO to the hdmi?

Tomorrow I'll try fiddling with it. Hopefully forza horizon didn't use hardware openal and the eq can work

Edit : oooh! They even provide ways to force software openal. Will try that dll hack first.

how to insert equalizer APO to the hdmi?

Run the Configurator tool and select the HDMI output to your display, if you haven't done so during setup.

there's no enhancements tab on the audio control panel
Then your HDMI audio drivers do not enable any of the default system APO effects. Make sure you have the latest drivers from your video card manufacturer.

They even provide ways to force software openal
Hardware OpenAL processing is only possible with higher-end PCI/PCIe SounbBlaster X-Fi cards from 2005-2010 with official or modded Windows 10 drivers. Everything else uses software effect processing over standard audio output path.

Last edited:
Need it to boost low freq on Forza Horizon 4, so i can feel the driving/engine roam/ground texture with my body (subwoofer) without fiddling back and forth with the sound system's decibel setting

The inconsistent sound engineering in that game is frustrating. Some cars sound like they've been sampled from a 20 year old game, all but a few have zero low frequency, especially in the case of cockpit spatialization (the R8 and 488 cockpit POVs being among very few cars that actually sound like you've got a roof over your head). I feel like every car and respective camera view would need to be EQed and volume adjusted separately in order to fix this. The FM7 sound engineering doesn't seem nearly as slapped together, but there's still some cars that I prefer in FH4.

I used to use HeSuVi and EqualizerAPO a lot for headphone virtual surround and EQing, but it's kind of a pain having to patch sound through virtual devices just for the sake of a few games.

It's a category page for plugins, you can load them into APO, read the descriptions. Most plugin devs have their own take about subharmonic generation, which works like, feed 150hz 75 results (second subharmonic) 50hz results (third subharmonic). Let me know if you find third subharmonic gen.

How do you know your supposed to feel the windscreen wiper
also forcefeedback is not related to sound

because you able to feel them in a real car. Btw it was about low frequency audio (via subwoofer), not forcefeedback (via rumble/vibrator motor). there are force-feedback vest that takes low freq audio signal to provides vibrations to be directly felt throughout body tho.

btw FH4 when driving thru water also missing the low freq sound (or its too quiet). Dunno with Driveclub, is there even a puddle / body of water that is driveable in driveclub?

Back