Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Yep, that is an important next step that is still coming. And being able to create together would also help immensely with teaching each other stuff (which also happens a *lot* when kids play Minecraft).

But that’s part why I am saying it’s still just beginning.

I hope at least one "create your own game" style software title would see success.

For the most part it hasn't happened previously.
No. From what I am seeing, Dreams will be a succes, and maybe already is.
Depends what one means by success. Dreams is definitely managing to produce incredible creations. I very much disagree that it succeed at the reveal goal, of "creation being easy and fun" and I don't think it has achieved a goal of being a creative game. LBP was he best success in that regards and saw lots of content and diversity.

I am willing to bet serious money Dreams is here to stay - it is truly an amazing creative tool. If I could buy stock in it I would already have done so.
As a creative tool, it should really go onto PC and be marketed to creators.

The more I am seeing people make with it the more I am amazed by it.
I agree, but that in itself won't make it popular. There are lots of great, unknown artists on YouTube. How many people explore YT to find indie animations made in Blender? Not a lot. ;) Some people can create amazing things in Blender, but it's not what people will go to for viewing entertainment. Similarly, Dreams can make stuff, but it's not a platform people will go to for entertainment. "I'll just browse Dreams for the next hour." "I wonder what the latest game on Dreams is?" Gaming will be the domain of download stores, indies, AAA titles, Game Jolt and itch.IO. Animations will be the domain of YT and seaming services. I can't see any of that changing, or indeed any tool also being the platform. You'll render on Blender or edit on Premiere to distribute on YT or Netflix. You'll create your music on Ableton or Cakewalk to distribute on SoundCloud or BandLab or Spotify. You'll make games in Unity or Unreal, Godot or GameMaker and distribute on store-fronts, itch.io or Game Jolt. I can't see any future where the platform of choice for any of these for either creation or experience is Dreams beyond hobbiests. If people create stuff to share on YT or Soundcloud, it's a creation tool and not a gaming platform.

I can't see any future where the platform of choice for any of these for either creation or experience is Dreams beyond hobbiests.

that's good, no? Unfortunately some people think they will be able to make money out of it, so it will limit sharing of assets and remixing, which is shame.

p.s. I'm tinkering in Dreams since release and I already put in more hours than I expected (thanks ocd), so hopefully they will keep their promise of long support.

that's good, no? Unfortunately some people think they will be able to make money out of it, so it will limit sharing of assets and remixing, which is shame.
The best creations require so much time and effort, it's only fair to be able to ask for money. If people are willing to pay for game devs and animators and musicians using other platforms, why not for those using Dreams?

Several people from Mm have already suggested they would like to be able to support selling games. Perhaps they would/could make it so that if you make a game and publish it in Dreams, you can then export it as a stand-alone game on PSN, Steam, and XBox Live and make money from selling that.

They have a long list of ambitions though, including:

- exporting assets for 3D printing
- supporting online creation
- supporting online multiplayer
- supporting VR (should be nearly done)

And I reckon support for PS5 features is in the works too ...

So I expect being able to release games will be after at least the online and VR goals have been completed.

By the way did you know there is a osc tool on Alex Evans’ github that allows you to use midi devices with Dreams through your PC/LAN?

Anyway what makes me so bullish about Dreams is partly because it seems to allow people to become incredibly productive. It seems that many things can be done much, much faster in Dreams.

But my 1st complaint about Dreams, the actual reason I don't play it anymore is...

Because my Pro gets too damn noisy when I start the thing. Like as noisy as God of War start screen. Madness. I blame Cerny. :yep2:

Would dreams be suitable as a Streaming only title, like on PSNow or does possible latency jitters make creation too tough?

The PS5 will absolutely bring more to the table for the title especially compared to the tiny Jag CPU cores, but I wonder if it could be augmented further with cloud computing during creation time. So when they provide the PS5 patches, if they could offer building of PS5 enhanced Dream Levels on PS4/4Pro machines. Or have Cloud generate the 2 target versions of the level for you, PS4 and PS5.

made in dreams
g4i2nzhiayv41.jpg

The guy is talented. It's the most impressive scene (without gameplay) I have seen until now;
Would dreams be suitable as a Streaming only title, like on PSNow or does possible latency jitters make creation too tough?

The PS5 will absolutely bring more to the table for the title especially compared to the tiny Jag CPU cores, but I wonder if it could be augmented further with cloud computing during creation time. So when they provide the PS5 patches, if they could offer building of PS5 enhanced Dream Levels on PS4/4Pro machines. Or have Cloud generate the 2 target versions of the level for you, PS4 and PS5.
I think both the added latency and added low res (720p) + compression could be a problem in some cases. For 'Pros' (like the guy who did the tornado) I think that wouldn't be suitable (or very occasionnaly to do simple content creation) but for casuals dreamers it shouldn't be too much of a problem, particularly to just play the available dreams.

Although it'll never be allowed to happen in a million years, dreams should get an Xbox one port. The console battle is already well over so it won't change that, however releasing on pc would go up against amateur/professional sdks like unity/ue4 so it might not gain much traction against those whereas in Xbox you're bringing in a potential 50 million plus hobbyist, amateurs etc, by the end of the gen.

Last edited:
I very much disagree that it succeed at the reveal goal, of "creation being easy and fun" and I don't think it has achieved a goal of being a creative game.
When i did read your experience of getting some hand puppet animation to work, that was exactly what i have expected.
It was clear from the beginning animation would become its weakest spot. All characters looked like stick puppets on ropes. It was restricted to fun and comedy, but serious stuff seems impossible.
But that's not the problem. Even if they did much better here, the main issue remains: Making games is a lot of work, gamers don't have enough time, and it's not possible to make it easy.

To address this, it might be nice to add levels of abstraction to break out of isolated creations - most of them just shit probably.
I mean few skilled passionate guys make Trackmania, Super Mario Maker or Minecraft, and much more regular gamer people make levels or other content for that. So there is always more and enough content.
It would be nice to replace 'select creation from menu' with 'walk into creation from acommunity MMO hub in a shared 3D world' as well, with people designing their avatar for that, etc.
But this would require ability to create simplified tools like easy level editors, and also more server infrastructure.

I think we will get there... The final game, played by the whole world.
But i have no problem if it takes many years until then... :D

To be fair, the puppet making would be easy if it wasn't bugged. ;) It was easy enough to create and link the key-frames. The issue is just that you can't then move the puppet around directly.

I tried the same on the in-built humanoid puppets and it worked, but these have a huge layer of sophistication I don't want and don't care to learn at this point, just to implement a simple stick-puppet.

It also needs far better surface snapping. Adding a hinge to two objects with move controllers is wonky. It needs the options to snap to obvious handles, which already exist for moving the objects. Lots of people are editing with the DS4 it seems, which means better interface stability but is whole second interface to learn. I couldn't jump straight into the new DS controls out of Beta; just navigating the camera is a skill to be learnt!

I know my nephew would have never spent so many hours in Minecraft without his buddies playing with him in the same maps doing...stuff.

Making a hilarious forest of willies and boobs, if my childhood was anything to go by. Maybe that was just me and my mate's sensibilities...

Dreams definitely wins the technical achievement title this gen.
with the tornado, why are the things slowly rotating around the funnel? Im sure the only way something could stay aloft is to be moving much quicker

Back