Microsoft Xbox digital events [E3 2020 Replacements]

This will be my second time purchasing a dirt game(after being burned by the simmy nature of the original dirt on 360) but i feel its mandatory this time...im really glad Evolution Studios has come back in a big way, this is exactly what i wanted when i heard Codemasters had taken in a majority of their talent. Motorstorm was one of my favorite arcade racers of last gen, and driveclub is my favorite arcade racer of this gen...seeing those graphics i knew it had to be them without even knowing for sure. Driveclub is still the greatest looking racer of all time even as a launch PS4 title, and the spiritual sequel of Dirt 5 on PS5 will be right at home with me..the YT video even is rendered at 60fps which is crazy.

Never did i think i'd see driveclubs visuals being able to be rendered at 60fps

Scorn is about the only game that looks next gen ish now that I've watched everything in pristine 4k quality. The model detail is quite good. Hope it's not a terrible game like Agony is.

This will be my second time purchasing a dirt game(after being burned by the simmy nature of the original dirt on 360) but i feel its mandatory this time...im really glad Evolution Studios has come back in a big way, this is exactly what i wanted when i heard Codemasters had taken in a majority of their talent. Motorstorm was one of my favorite arcade racers of last gen, and driveclub is my favorite arcade racer of this gen...seeing those graphics i knew it had to be them without even knowing for sure. Driveclub is still the greatest looking racer of all time even as a launch PS4 title, and the spiritual sequel of Dirt 5 on PS5 will be right at home with me..the YT video even is rendered at 60fps which is crazy.

Never did i think i'd see driveclubs visuals being able to be rendered at 60fps

I was wondering why it looked more like a street racer. I dunno. Could use more dirt than the flat roads there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, I found Dirt 4 difficult to get into.

Last edited:
Why Xbox Series X?

It was a simple decision. Xbox Series X is very capable hardware (on par with high-end PCs) that will run the game at a technical standard of 4k60fps that we aim for Scorn. More so than the 4K resolution, having the game run at 60fps with a certain visual fidelity is imperative for us as developers.

Why Microsoft and why Xbox Series X exclusivity?

The authenticity of the game and being able to develop it as we conceptualized it is the highest priority. Before deciding to partner with Microsoft we made sure that they will not have any influence over the game's concept and development process. They were more than cooperative in that regard. The only thing they were interested in was exclusivity rights. Once all that was agreed upon it was a no brainer decision when you look at all the benefits Scorn will get from this partnership, from additional resources to much bigger exposure(marketing). It will certainly help us make Scorn a better, polished game in the end.

Will Scorn be released on the previous generation of consoles?

No. We really don't want to spend development time on what would from a technical standpoint (900p resolution, frame rates dipping below 30fps) be a sub-par version of the game and overall not a good experience.

Will the game still be released on PC and on what storefronts?

Of course. Scorn will be released on Steam, Windows Store, and GOG.

Why is there no gameplay in the trailer?

We were actually planning to release a different trailer at a later date that was twice as long, and that was going to feature gameplay elements, but the opportunity to be a part of Inside Xbox happened in a very short period of time. Microsoft also couldn't give us more than 2 minutes (not that we would be able to prepare more on such short notice anyway) so we decide to re-conceptualize and re-arrange it. We like to set a specific mood and pacing with the trailers and it was already hard squeezing this much into 2 minutes, let alone having additional gameplay footage without disrupting the established flow and mood.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/698670/announcements/detail/2177998091694253164

Tommy McClain

In Medium the part after the guy talk was gameplay, some part of Vampire Bloodlines 2 was gameplay too. All of this was not impressive but this AA and indie games. At least the game looks very clean.
It's sort of nuts Vampire 2 is coming. Long time waiting since Vampire the Masquerade. Never bothered with any of the vampire games since then though.

I know this was a covid distributed show.
But considering it wasn't live (or didn't need to be) why wasn't it edited in 4K decicent quality, with the games using the proper quality media.

Watching the the 4K YouTube vids shows big difference in what was shown in show.
So if that was done and not hype it up as gameplay reveals etc, would've gone down so much better.

Hopefully they'll not do poor quality steam for next shows.

I know this was a covid distributed show.
But considering it wasn't live (or didn't need to be) why wasn't it edited in 4K decicent quality, with the games using the proper quality media.

Watching the the 4K YouTube vids shows big difference in what was shown in show.
So if that was done and not hype it up as gameplay reveals etc, would've gone down so much better.

Hopefully they'll not do poor quality steam for next shows.

I don't believe the fps, resolution and general quality of the stream was the issue for the masses.
Sure the production quality was bad, including some really bad made green screening,

upload_2020-5-9_8-42-10.png

but it was the content choice that disappointed.

I don't believe the fps, resolution and general quality of the stream was the issue for the masses.
Sure the production quality was bad, including some really bad made green screening,

View attachment 3866

I'm saying the format of the show was fine
Even the bad green screen that you put isn't such a big deal.
But when you're showing games and the quality of the stream is that bad, that's an issue that regardless of the games should not happen.
I've already on many occasions said that the game choices was not meant for first or final show imo.

Could have amazing games and if the stream is that bad initial reactions aren't going to be what they should be. It's just a very bad look.

Well, the initial reactions are pretty bad. The event has a worse dislike ratio than the PS5 reveal (and way less views in 24h).

View attachment 3866

Pretty sure that's the default Microsoft Teams hide my background option. No chroma key it just detects a face and then traces what it believes is part of that person.

I also wonder if the stream quality was at the YT end as they and Netflix have been asked to reduce bandwidth use during the lockdown.

Pre encoded content is cached and probably co-located in isp networks so less of a strain compared to livestreams.

I would say it seems rushed, they probably had Pre covid plans and are trying to do the best rendition of them now as a dispersed team using home Internet for part and consumer tech and tools.

It's a shame and I think some simple extra info could have made this a whole lot more engaging and impressive.

Back