Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mandating 60fps would be ridiculous. These consoles aren't much more than twice as powerful as the mid gen refreshes. So mandating double the frame rates in most games will eat up the majority of the generational power leap and we'd get games that look barely better than a base XBO game running at 900p/30, only it'd be running at 4K/60.

Very true, though I kind of fudged my point in that i was mostly talking about giving higher expectation of going 60fps. We will certainly see more games as 60fps this gen but its unfair to act as if it will be across the board.

Are devs who go for 30 for their games gonna get attacked for doing so because the expectation is that 60fps has to be what everything targets or the devs are lazy or only focus on the graphics or what have you? Just an unreasonable expectation to put out there even if your not literally putting a mandate.

Can a SeriesX game run at 30fps 4K & still run at 30fps at a lower resolution on the XB1?

Tommy McClain

Can a SeriesX game run at 30fps 4K & still run at 30fps at a lower resolution on the XB1?

Tommy McClain
Not likely. 720p isn’t low enough. You’d have to go lower. Like RDR2 is 720p30. It runs 4K30 on X1X. It would be 4K60 on XSX for instance.

Not likely. 720p isn’t low enough. You’d have to go lower. Like RDR2 is 720p30. It runs 4K30 on X1X. It would be 4K60 on XSX for instance.

Agreed but it should be possible to reduce settings in such a way that the games look broadly the same apart from resolution (and potentially a less stable frame rate). I guess similar to Crysis PC vs Crysis XB360. Although the difference may be even less pronounced.

As long as there are pc ports there will be lower targets than xb1.

I'd be amazed if next gen games don't have minimum PC requirements far beyond the capabilities of the XBO. It's running the equivalent of a Radeon R260 and a dual core CPU.... My expectation is a fast 6 core + GTX 1060/RX580 as a minimum.

I think that kinda agrees with my thinking. Most SeriesX games will be 60fps because they will also need to run at a respectable frame rate on XB1. Once developers decide to drop crossgen games then we will start to see 30fps SeriesX games.

Tommy McClain

I'd be amazed if next gen games don't have minimum PC requirements far beyond the capabilities of the XBO. It's running the equivalent of a Radeon R260 and a dual core CPU.... My expectation is a fast 6 core + GTX 1060/RX580 as a minimum.
Prepare to be amazed. At least for several years.

Just look at what under $1000 'gaming laptops' were shipping with a few years ago. That's your minimum target for a while.

Last edited:
I hope not. 30fps is due for a swift death.

One guy patched Bloodborne to run at 60fps on base PS4. Let that sink in. The game could have run at 60fps the whole time on BASE PS4 and we never even got a Pro patch, let alone a fix for the bad frame pacing from From Software.

Morale of the story, we’re all doomed.

Also, 30fps in a conscious decision and I won’t say the L D words but you know what I’m saying.

I think that kinda agrees with my thinking. Most SeriesX games will be 60fps because they will also need to run at a respectable frame rate on XB1. Once developers decide to drop crossgen games then we will start to see 30fps SeriesX games.

Tommy McClain
I think the goal for next gen will be 60fps 4K. Much like PS4 didn't have to be 1080p, but most of it's titles were 1080p. That was the target resolution, a few games dipped below, but most were. I suspect for the most part this is what we'll see. They'll hold the frame rate, but drop the resolution etc.

Prepare to be amazed. At least for several years.

Just look at what under $1000 'gaming laptops' were shipping with a few years ago. That's your minimum target for a while.

Many current generation games (RDR2, Doom Eternal etc..) already have minimum requirements well beyond the XBO. To expect developers to be widely and officially supporting lesser specs that than during the next generation is unrealistic.

One guy patched Bloodborne to run at 60fps on base PS4. Let that sink in. The game could have run at 60fps the whole time on BASE PS4 and we never even got a Pro patch, let alone a fix for the bad frame pacing from From Software.

Morale of the story, we’re all doomed.

Also, 30fps in a conscious decision and I won’t say the L D words but you know what I’m saying.
the animations were designed around 30fps or something right? so moving to 60 didn't help.

I think the goal for next gen will be 60fps 4K. Much like PS4 didn't have to be 1080p, but most of it's titles were 1080p. That was the target resolution, a few games dipped below, but most were. I suspect for the most part this is what we'll see. They'll hold the frame rate, but drop the resolution etc.

Only for casual games, which there'll be plenty of. But if you've got the budget it's more than easy enough to make an open world game drop below 60fps at 4k, or lower, on a 2080 already. And that's just cranking some settings from games designed for lower end hardware. As soon as you add raytracing into open worlds with dynamic bvhs you're fucked as far as framerate goes. It's be easy as hell to crash bvh updating below 60, and even well below 30 for dynamic raytracing effects.

At the beginning we'll probably see some triple a stuff at 60 because it's a free upgrade. Like last gen a series or two might stay there this time (From Software stuff for example). But I'd still expect more than a few next gen only triple a titles to be at 30, some of them probably from the start.

Reminds me of "Nobody should be in business of forcing devs to do anything. Especially as they push the hardware with things like rt as the gen goes on.

I think this upcoming gen is going to be worse for framerate-controversies-in-a-teacup. There is obviously a lot more potential for games to reach 60fps (or higher) nextgen, but I can I foresee people complaining 60fps don't look as good as 30fps games and 30fps games not being as fluid as 60fps games. This will be developer's Kobayashi Maru.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive never had issues with 30fps as long as its solid...ofc there are genres where 60fps is just mandatory but i like to think i am pretty lenient a lot of the time

Yea I don't think it's a mandate. It's probably what they want devs to target though. I don't think 1080p on PS4 was a mandate, but most games decided to be 1080p for instance.

Quite a lot of us are upgrading from the base consoles, so the difference is pretty significant.

Imagine being a guy that's currently got a base Xbox One and goes to Series X - that's a 9.4x increase in flops. We know that efficiencies are going to be significant too, didn't Cerny state that they'd be about 60% faster flop-for-flop? That's going to be a huge difference and a 4x increase in resolution.

A lot of you guy are hardcore PC gamers with significant resolution monitors and top of the range GPUs. The majority of gamers are going to see huge changes. B3Ders not so much.

I'm excited for it. Most of the games shown during the Microsoft presentation looked amazing to me.

I'm going from base PS4 to next-gen and buying my first 4k TV* at the same time. For me, it's a huge leap.

*I have a traditional house with antique furniture, so not the most high tech inviting environment. It'll all be going in my boys' room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back