GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst case is the path traced Minecraft in the very low light situations where the multiple bounces accumulating make it special-effect level smeary.
If you remember a video where you have seen this i'd be interested.
For me it's mostly abrupt changes like removing / adding blocks that feels unacceptable.

If you remember a video where you have seen this i'd be interested.
For me it's mostly abrupt changes like removing / adding blocks that feels unacceptable.

It's not as bad as I remember as the geometry is still crisp, but the textures/lighting is struggles with fast movements (kept to a minimum here because they are observing the pretty lights).

Thanks. Yeah, that's bad. They may improve it, but imagine characters moving around... Probably we won't see this level of lighting in action games - likely worse than current SSAO/SSR artifacts.
Ofc, texture space could fix this in theory. (But wouldn't help much with removing / adding blocks.)

Apparently minecraft doesn’t produce motion vectors so they’re doing something very hacky to feed dlss the motion data it needs. Sounds like that temporal lag can be improved.

Reprojection for statics works perfectly with only camera position delta indormation. MV are needes for dynamics only, which are a smart part of the scene in typical MC gameplay, thus why the artifacta arent more egregious.

Reprojection for statics works perfectly with only camera position delta indormation. MV are needes for dynamics only, which are a smart part of the scene in typical MC gameplay, thus why the artifacta arent more egregious.

Watch the digital foundry interview and they discuss how temporal blur is worse than it could be because they hacked a solution for tracking objects frame to frame that is not as robust as motion vectors.

Watch the digital foundry interview and they discuss how temporal blur is worse than it could be because they hacked a solution for tracking objects frame to frame that is not as robust as motion vectors.

Interesring, I'll check that out.

Interesring, I'll check that out.

That is my memory of what was discussed. I know they didn't have motion vectors so they created some kind of object tracking that will be replaced or improved for the final release. I believe that was discussed in the context of DLSS, which I believe requires motion vectors.

So it looks like World of Warcraft will be getting raytraced shadows soon. The option with 3 quality levels appeared on the latest alpha.

931392.jpg

UE4.25

New: Ray Tracing Updates and Ready for Production
With this release, we're excited to announce that Unreal Engine's ray tracing features are now ready for production! Development has continued over the past several releases to get us to this state, and we'll continue to add new features and improve existing ones while maintaining stability and performance.

image_22.png

Top left: Fortnite | Epic Games; Top Right: Senua's Saga: Hellblade II | Ninja Theory; Bottom Left: A5 Cabriolet model courtesy of Audi, HDR courtesy of HDRI Haven; Bottom Right: Archviz Interior Rendering sample | Epic Games

This release sees the following additions and improvements:

• Added support for Nigara Mesh Emitters on the CPU and GPU.

• Added support for the new Anisotropic shading model.

• Significant improvements to the quality of our Clear Coat shading model when used with ray tracing features.

• Added Clear Coat BRDF material support to the Path Tracer for generating ground truth comparisons.

• Added support for light transmission for Subsurface Profile Materials.
For details, see the Real-Time Ray Tracing documentation.

we're going to see ray tracing on fortnite before other titles?
ha.. that's sort of funny.

Getting Started with Real-time Ray Tracing and DLSS in Unreal Engine 4
May 8, 2020
We maintain several branches of UE4, which includes a DLSS 2.0 branch with all current RTX improvements. Our optimizations can improve ray tracing performance by up to 30%, and DLSS can double your frame rate over that. Beyond improved performance, there are also new features for ray tracing. In this post, I highlight the following features so that you have a sense of what’s there:
  • Hybrid translucency. This is a form of translucency that uses ray tracing for some aspects of rendering, and raster for other aspects. While it doesn’t support ray tracing translucent refraction, it is faster and more compatible than raster translucency. Bottom line: It provides you with another way to do translucent effects in a ray tracing setting while keeping quality and performance high.
  • Support for light functions and light channel masking in ray tracing reflections. Ray tracing reflections are a significant effect. These improvements mean that your light functions and channel masks appear in reflections correctly
Content using ray-traced translucency benefits substantially from the stencil masking support to cull unnecessary rays. Translucency content can also gain from hybrid translucency by ignoring particles in ray tracing. With RTX-4.24, some of the largest gains can be observed from improved software efficiency. We have measured over 20% improvement in frame rate tied to improved software efficiency in a real ray-tracing game.
In the arena of content compatibility, hybrid translucency stands out as allowing content developed on legacy pipelines to function correctly. The ability to mix ray-traced and raster translucency in the same scene allows older Cascade particle systems to continue to work. They won’t be ray-traced, but most games likely won’t want them to be ray traced anyway. The refraction behavior also matches what was set up for raster.

Shadowing also benefits greatly from a content compatibility perspective. First, ray tracing fires rays from the scene to the light to perform shadow testing, whereas shadow maps project them from the light. This reverses the cull direction of primitives, and it can have challenges with single-sided geometry like you might have placed over a lamp. RTX-Dev allows the game to switch the cull direction to match the effective cull direction used for raster avoiding the issue. The base engine doesn’t do this presently, as the cull direction it uses produces more accurate penumbras. Finally, shadow compatibility is improved by lights in reflections properly obeying the shadow-casting flags applied to lights in the scene, preventing extra lighting on your reflected geometry.
https://news.developer.nvidia.com/g...time-ray-tracing-and-dlss-in-unreal-engine-4/

Oooh, shiny. Also proves my pet peeve I have with UE5. Yeah, sure, unlimited polys are neat, and higher poly models for grass and trees are really needed because they often stick out like a sore thumb in today's games. But are unlimited polys really needed? Nah, look at the UE4 scene and that marbles demo, lighting and good art assets sit there and make more of an impact than unlimited polys do. Mmmm, sharp indirect lighting, soooo good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back