Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

Well I finally finished the story and really enjoyed it. I found time flew by whilst playing, I will however hold off for PS5 and then revisit for the platinum...hopefully the loading will be a lot quicker!

Well I finally finished the story and really enjoyed it. I found time flew by whilst playing, I will however hold off for PS5 and then revisit for the platinum...hopefully the loading will be a lot quicker!

maxresdefault.jpg

Days gone on PS5?

Roads Loads?! Where we're going We don't need Roads Loads!!!

That will be interesting I guess. If you actually want to play it again. I might enjoy doing a few of the big hordes again... The main menu has some challenges for that.

I imagine that most of the game's load time is CPU processing. Going from 5400RPM HDD to SSD didn't help all that much for me. But you know backward compatibility usually simulates the original processors very closely. Like how various PS4 games barely benefit from the Pro because the developer needs to patch real support for the Pro. Poor Until Dawn. :(

Last edited:
That will be interesting I guess. If you actually want to play it again. I might enjoy doing a few of the big hordes again... The main menu has some challenges for that.

I imagine that most of the game's load time is CPU processing. Going from 5400RPM HDD to SSD didn't help all that much for me. But you know backward compatibility usually simulates the original processors very closely. Like how various PS4 games barely benefit from the Pro because the developer needs to patch real support for the Pro. Poor Until Dawn. :(

The PS5 SSD setup means 1 minute loads become 1 second, I don't think BC means complete emulation of the PS4 system - it's even been said that some games will benefit from higher FPS/resolution...so I expect loading to improve dramatically, but I'm willing to take the risk - like you say, the challanges look tempting, but ~ 1 min loading each time is a PITA!

The PS5 SSD setup means 1 minute loads become 1 second, I don't think BC means complete emulation of the PS4 system - it's even been said that some games will benefit from higher FPS/resolution...so I expect loading to improve dramatically, but I'm willing to take the risk - like you say, the challanges look tempting, but ~ 1 min loading each time is a PITA!
Yeah I watched that video. I suspect games will need to be designed a specific way for them to load like that.

I could see Bend updating the game for PS5 though and getting a massive boost from the new hardware. And I'm sure there is a boost mode for games that won't get patched at all. The PS4 CPUs are stupid slow compared to the Ryzen cores coming.

Last edited:
I decided to dip back into this but instead just decided to restart from the beginning. I had forgotten how insanely mad and brutal this world can be when you are not paying attention at least 95% of the time. What's in front of you, what was chasing you 30 seconds ago and may now have caught up with you, what's on the mini-map radar, what you can hear..

All of it, so, so good. I'm sure the wolves chase you much further now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished the main story line yesterday and all the hordes as well and today did some extra chores to get my first platinum trophy of any game :)
I assumed taking out the hordes was required to get it, but there was no trophy for the hordes, which I found odd...

This was an awesome game. I think I put about 80h into it. Towards the end there were more performance issues with the new areas and increased bike speed seemed to be too taxing for the system, but it didn't bother me too much. At the end I have to say this might be the one game that has exceeded my expectations the most. I liked it from the get go, but it definitely builds steam as you get further. It was at least twice as long as I thought and yes there are many similar feeling side missions, but also enough unique story missions and interesting characters to keep the experience entertaining.

I felt like they did a good job on keeping the player busy for hours on end. It was easy to get lost in this game for long periods of time. But the story was semi borked I think and there is no player influence. I feel like they had to backpedal on some plans there during development. It was disappointing considering the mega budget here.

The hordes are awesome and make the game.

Last edited:
There's a game on Steam called The Black Masses that has hordes that rival what Days Gone did. And this is an indie game on Unity! Interesting little game! It's rough around the edges and obviously still being developed, but I'm impressed at what they've put together so far.

I even made a little video using the Windows game controls I've never used before!!!!

Last edited:
There's a game on Steam called The Black Masses that has hordes that rival what Days Gone did. And this is an indie game on Unity! Interesting little game! It's rough around the edges and obviously still being developed, but I'm impressed at what they've put together so far.

In terms of numbers, Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator surpasses both by a long, long way. :yes:

Is it just me, or do you think this game is quite underrated?

I remember I practically played it non-stop upon purchasing it in 2019. At first, when I saw the trailers and stuff early on, I thought it was going to be some bland zombie game, like Dead Rising. God, that game is so repetitive. But I was pleasantly surprised that it was more so along the lines of Sony's other hit post apocalypse themed title, The Last of Us.

The animation is really fluid. I know there's a ton of glitches. It's amazing how many times the game has been patched in an effort to rectify that issue. But otherwise, I thought it was a pretty fun and challenging game, and one that's actually quite lengthy. The countryside is just amazing to look at, as you're riding to various venues. It's fun going into abandoned houses just to loot everything, and talking to people in the camps is interesting, because most people who respond have original dialogue and not just repeated lines.

I couldn't be bothered with the bike chase segments, however. Normally, I just skipped those. They seemed too risky for Deacon's motorcycle and a waste of fuel, really. However, I did like having to burn out the nests and shoot at every aggressive Freaker that would charge at me. But to date, I've never killed an entire horde, besides the boss fight in a cave later on in the game, when that scientist you meet in the opening scene has you doing errands for him in exchange for information. It's the annoying battle where you're in a cave so dark, you can hardly notice the flares. There's a gap in the wall and you just throw explosives at the horde and retreat over and over again, until their numbers go down. It takes a while... and you must not screw up.

Now for the story...

Technically, it's something we've had way so many times in other mediums, but I did enjoy it just the same. That's because everybody was so fun to interact with. Following this tough guy's journey to to be reunited with his woman, going through hell to do it, just made for an epic time. Some of the best parts of the game are when you're at the lab Sarah (Deacon's wife) used to work at, and the Criers (aka infected crows) are coming at Deacon and Sarah. That's a great part of the game, because that's when you're behaving like a mole with this militia crew, and they find out where you're from because some renegade blows the whistle. Then you get so many big fight moments, like when the Rippers attack Rikki's people, and there's fire everywhere. Some of the bald bad guys with the scars are so crazy, they actually ignite themselves and try to grab you. It's revealed that they use morphine, I think, so they don't feel any pain.

Well, I think my favourite part is when you're on your way back to the original land, in the snow. These soldiers have set up checkpoints to stand guard, and you have to go through their major firepower to get back to the places you were at before going to the military island, where you assume Deacon's wife may be.

It's a really great game, although it can be rather repetitive as well. Often, it feels like you're doing the exact same missions for hours and hours at a time. Once you get into it though, it's well worth it. Although I've rarely seen anybody online saying anything positive about this game. :D

The ending suggests that Deacon's ordeal is far from over. I just hope Sony decides to create a sequel for the PS5 someday. It could take years to prepare, and I am fine with that. Nobody likes a rush job anyway.

While i doubt there will be a days gone 2
Why? I thought it was really good too. I got it about 6 months after lauch and really enjoyed it. I definitely can see Sony's giving Bend Studios another Days Gone order for the sequel as it got a 8.2 user review and the only reason it seemed to get a lower critic review score was due to bugs that didn't get released till the day one patch and later.

I am glad it's in the PS Plus Collection, it means there might be something in the PS5 version(better graphics? Hopefully no bugs. Maybe audio enhancements to show off the Tempest engine?

Oh and no load screens. One thing I did notice while playing the game is that there was a crap load of load screens hence why I hoped to play it on the PS5 again to not have as many.

It was on my list of PS4 games I want to play on the PS5, so I am happy.

Last edited:
I don't see why there wouldn't be a Days Gone 2.

Even if they were hoping for more, it's the better return on investment given they already have the hard parts done -- they fleshed out a new IP, new characters, new world, new interactions, have the assets and game play down. It should be a substantially better return on investment than having to do all that with brand new IP.

I don't see why there wouldn't be a Days Gone 2.

Even if they were hoping for more, it's the better return on investment given they already have the hard parts done -- they fleshed out a new IP, new characters, new world, new interactions, have the assets and game play down. It should be a substantially better return on investment than having to do

From the little info I could gather it seems to of been a success and yeah I would say a sequel is probably a sure thing I would imagine.

Back