Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, looking at reviews the CX series seem like a disappointment compared to the C9 in terms of evolution. Though that might be just because the 2019 models came out so good.

The LG TVs support Dolby Vision and HDR10 while Samsung TVs support HDR10+ and HDR10.
Makes it difficult to decide, which option is the best for HDR?

The LG TVs support Dolby Vision and HDR10 while Samsung TVs support HDR10+ and HDR10.
Makes it difficult to decide, which option is the best for HDR?

HDR10+ might be similar to Dolby Vision (they both support dynamic metadata over plain HDR10), but I wonder if it'll ever take off. Like you said, the only (edit: major) TV brand supporting it is Samsung and the only content content provider using it AFAIK is Amazon Prime.
Netflix, Rakuten, Vudu, Google, Apple and others support Dolby Vision. Most UHD Bluray releases support both AFAIK, and then there's the broadcasters and Youtube supporting HLG (which most recent TVs support AFAIK).

IMO it's only difficult to decide if most of your content is coming from Prime, and even then it's a risky bet because Amazon could choose to switch sides or just support both.
Philips has some interesting models with Ambilight and at the moment they support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, but they're not launching HDMI 2.1 TVs until 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the C9 arrived the other day and I must say it is a massive upgrade over my 7 year old 42" LG. I saw the C9 in the shops a couple of times but seeing it in your living room is not the same.

IQ and everything is obviously a massive step up, UHD content looks super sharp as you expect. 1080p less so, I watched the latest Westworld yesterday and it definitely didn't look as sharp as on my old tv and it was much easier to spot parts with limited IQ. Though I did expect that as my previous tv wasn't very large and I'm sitting quite a bit away from the tv. Sound is also much better than I expected. I had an old 3.1 Onkyo set and this is better. Not necessarily louder, and bass is lacking (though you can feel the bass) but everything is clearer and easier to hear. The wife is much happier with it as she hated the Onkyo.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see the software is somewhat intelligent and remember picture modes on a per app basis which is very convenient. You can have different audio and picture settings for TV and Netflix etc.

Gaming is also so much better. I started RE2:remake the other day and it looked alright on my old tv using Nvidia gamestream but the colors were a bit meh and it wasn't always a 100% smooth, almost like there was some micro stutter. The stutter is gone now and movement is very smooth. I was also surprised to see that even though my monitor doesn't support HDR, RE2 automatically switched to HDR and it does actually appear to work as well. I'm only playing at 1080p but it looks super sharp. I tried setting a custom 1440p resolution but that broke HDR and I think the stream was still actually 1080p. But Nvidia officially only supports 1080p/4k so I can live with that.

I don't really have any complaints except for internal apps not being able to do TrueHD. I initially thought this was only the case when using EARC with external speakers. That and having to turn of automatic device identification to get CEC to work with the Shield TV which is very counter intuitive.

I was thinking about buying a cheap'ish 1080p ultrawide to check that out but now that I have seen how good everything looks on the C9 I don't think I can be bothered to spend any money on a new monitor and I'll just do all my gaming in the living room.

IQ and everything is obviously a massive step up, UHD content looks super sharp as you expect. 1080p less so, I watched the latest Westworld yesterday and it definitely didn't look as sharp as on my old tv and it was much easier to spot parts with limited IQ. T

If you have Nvidia shield tv, people says it have awesome 4k upsampler.

If you connected a PC to that TV, you can use MadVR. It have really good upsampler.

Only the 2019 shield has that. I got the older model.

Also it's not that bad, it's noticable, but that's about it. Certainly not bad so I'm perfectly fine with it.

Personally I don't want to bother with PC's connected to TV's anymore for media playback. Really no need when you can use something like Plex or Emby. The amount of hassle just isn't worth it IMHO.

I even wanted to switch to webos apps for all my media but unfortunately Emby on webos isn't as good as the Android TV app.

One other complaint is the remote. And I think this goes for pretty much all brands but if you use CEC to control an Android box or similar, those devices expect a home button. But the remote doesn't have one (that isn't mapped to the TV's own OS). So instead you are stuck using the back button.

I am sitting almost 5 meters from my tv and so I had to go for at least a 65” ... the 42” I had was a bit of a strain on the eyes! And I’ve been looking at new

I have looked a long time at what TV to buy next. 65” TVs are really expensive compared to 42” ... I also looked hard at the OLED panels, but have always been hesitant ... if the price difference between the 55” and the 65” hadn’t been as huge as you say, it’s the same here, I might have considered the LG. But - and perhaps this is just configuration - I haven’t seen almost any OLED where the colors looked natural to me. Always too blue I think. Also the comparative lack of brightness held me back - a lot of time the TV is used in daylight. That with the burn-in risk and the pricing of 65” models made me go for a Samsung instead.

So my wishes have been 4k and HDR at least above 1000nits ... the Samsung TVs have been very appealing to me especially also with their Apple TV and Airplay 2 support, fantastic upscaling etc but there too the TVs just have been too expensive and the cheaper models just not good enough. But now finally the combination of not going on holiday and a gift, and price drops, and a resignation at that 65” will remain expensive, have helped me overcome my hesitation to purchase any TV significantly over 1000 euros ... I also have this weird desire to enjoy 4K and HDR improvements shown by current gen so I can see how much (or little) of a step up next gen will be [emoji23]

So I went for the Samsung 85R knowing that it is not yet HDMI 2.1 but hoping that 4K/60fps will always be enough for me. I just don’t expect to either see or care for 120fps in any other context than VR. I also hope that HDR+ won’t die ... its been tough choosing a TV but I’m guessing / hoping this will be good enough for at least the next five years. And that the ads won’t be so bad here in the Netherlands ...

Any tips for games / content to try out?

Well many PS4 games have very good HDR-implementation. Days Gone was great in that imo. Samsung's built in Youtube app play Youtube HDR-clips very well and there is plenty of videos to watch for example the HDR channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve7_yAZHFNipzeAGBI5t9g, just make sure to enable best settings on the app.

Digital Foundry has many HDR-videos as well and they look pretty good or atleast give accurate presentation.

I'm still waiting for the unveil of a good 4K120 VRS FALD TV that's 48-50" in size. [as of now] I can't trust myself with a OLED since I also use TV as my primary PC monitor.

I am sitting almost 5 meters from my tv and so I had to go for at least a 65” ... the 42” I had was a bit of a strain on the eyes! And I’ve been looking at new

I have looked a long time at what TV to buy next. 65” TVs are really expensive compared to 42” ... I also looked hard at the OLED panels, but have always been hesitant ... if the price difference between the 55” and the 65” hadn’t been as huge as you say, it’s the same here, I might have considered the LG. But - and perhaps this is just configuration - I haven’t seen almost any OLED where the colors looked natural to me. Always too blue I think. Also the comparative lack of brightness held me back - a lot of time the TV is used in daylight. That with the burn-in risk and the pricing of 65” models made me go for a Samsung instead.

So my wishes have been 4k and HDR at least above 1000nits ... the Samsung TVs have been very appealing to me especially also with their Apple TV and Airplay 2 support, fantastic upscaling etc but there too the TVs just have been too expensive and the cheaper models just not good enough. But now finally the combination of not going on holiday and a gift, and price drops, and a resignation at that 65” will remain expensive, have helped me overcome my hesitation to purchase any TV significantly over 1000 euros ... I also have this weird desire to enjoy 4K and HDR improvements shown by current gen so I can see how much (or little) of a step up next gen will be [emoji23]

So I went for the Samsung 85R knowing that it is not yet HDMI 2.1 but hoping that 4K/60fps will always be enough for me. I just don’t expect to either see or care for 120fps in any other context than VR. I also hope that HDR+ won’t die ... its been tough choosing a TV but I’m guessing / hoping this will be good enough for at least the next five years. And that the ads won’t be so bad here in the Netherlands ...

I wonder if upping the tv brightness actually makes much sense. Yes you might be able to out shine the sun, but than you have a tv that is uncomfortably bright to look at. I was a bit worried about the brightness of my OLED but I since turned the brightness for normal tv viewing down to 35 because anything more is simply too harsh on my eyes. I have window directly behind the sofa shining on the tv so as far as layout goes I'm towards the worst case scenario as well. When watching dark content I just have to close the curtains.

all depending on room brightness and sunshine and preferences.

btw with HDR, it still can be scaled right? So even if the TV able to display 1000 nits when the sun is inside the camera view, it can be scaled to just 500 nits for dark room

Purchasing a new TV has a lot of dilemmas. At first it was a choice of an HDR10+ and Dolby Vision (Samsung offers the former LG offers the latter). Thanks to your information that was sorted out and Dolby Vision is the way to go.
Then we have sound. Not all HDR TVs offer Atmos support. I think thats a must.
And then we have the OLED vs LED. The best option currently seems to be the LG line of TVs for HDR gaming and atmos support but they are all OLED.
The probability of burn is a risk that I cant get off my mind

HDR10+ and DV are both compatible with HDR so you won't have content you cannot watch. You might lose some IQ but will you really notice?

Atmos might be something you don't have to worry about too much at the moment? Will you be able to hear the difference with the built in speakers? From what I know all TV's currently on the market with EARC support have bodged implementations that don't support HD audio which makes Atmos support even less of a point because if you use external speakers you will still have to rely on a receiver.

Though that will probably change I the future.

As for LCD vs OLED, now I have one I wouldn't want to go back to LCD if money wasn't the issue.

There might be the risk of burn in but OLED TV's and phones now have been on the market for years but it doesn't appear to be a real issue if you use your TV in a remotely normal manner.

I decided to ignore it and enjoy the superior image quality.

all depending on room brightness and sunshine and preferences.

btw with HDR, it still can be scaled right? So even if the TV able to display 1000 nits when the sun is inside the camera view, it can be scaled to just 500 nits for dark room

I'm not sure how it works. I would assume there is some relative relation between the screen brightness you set and the maximum HDR brightness?

LCDs getting hammered right know from all angles haha... Yesterday I visited a friend of mine who recently bought a 65" C9 and I do have to admit that the quality of the output was very nice. The blacks and their effortlessness is hard to top. Movies especially looked really nice and games too. The screen was quite glossy though and while I personally kind of like the look of that, the reflections were pretty hard to miss after I've gotten used to my Q9FN. Also we were viewing it normal daylight, no direct sunlight or anything, but not a darkened room, I've felt the overall brightness was good enough, but there is quite a massive difference on bright highlights or larger bright areas. For example we were playing Days Gone and when you start a mission sometimes the day changes from night to day and you'll see a sun rising quickly. On my TV the effect is quite dramatic and the sun looks fantastic and very bright, on the Oled, it didn't really stand out at all, perhaps it would have in a dark room?

Overall the HDR-picture still looked really nice on it, but personally I'm not sure I would like it more than my QLED. I can see a quality hit on my TV in game mode, but it definitely still gets way brighter than the C9, but there is much more bloom in game mode, which is a problem in dark room, but tolerable when there is some ambient light.

Well so far I am really happy with the new TV. When I first set it up though I though my god it’s big and maybe a 55” would have been fine ... [emoji23]

But it is really great, I can now comfortably sit at nearly 5m from it ... throw any screen at it including my iPhone and laptop screen at it, Netflix and Apple TV look amazing, games and certainly also Dreams looks stunning ... ryan47’s work really stands out. Played all sorts of stuff and it’s all really good.

So far really happy. It’s a really huge step up.

And you can set it up so that it automatically detects ambient brightness and adjusts, just like many phones have been doing for ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back