The Spoilering: LOU 2 [2020-04] *spawn*

So most of the time it's a bad place to work?

:p
balanced at 60h/week

I have no more information than my own experience in the vfx industry about crunches. Large gaming studio often have crunches, but I never heard about it being anywhere near as bad as VFX studios. The studios I know people working there are getting 3 months vacation after a project ends depending on the crunch time. Every single job I ever applied for asked about what working hours I'm ready to do and about crunch specifically. They will adapt with more contractors to fill up if they need to. Telling them you don't mind the crunches just to get the job is a mistake. Doing more hours to keep up with the others is really a bad idea. Young people do this, the older ones know how to balance their lives.

Last edited:
Why do posts saying something like 'Thanks saved me 60 bucks' / 'Thx for saving us from this disaster' get so many likes on facebook? People are giving those leakers credits like this. Whatever is on with the game itself (i dont care for movie-games anyway), leaking and spoiling is just low and shouldn't be credited by the public.

I’m going to let everyone in on a secret: The Last of Us 2 will be a huge hit despite the leaks and regardless of whether Naughty Dog can be a bad place to work.

Or will it be a huge hit because of them?

Why do posts saying something like 'Thanks saved me 60 bucks' / 'Thx for saving us from this disaster' get so many likes on facebook? People are giving those leakers credits like this. Whatever is on with the game itself (i dont care for movie-games anyway), leaking and spoiling is just low and shouldn't be credited by the public.

This leak is buzzing because the content is considered bad by a lot of people, like it or not. If everything was great, it wouldn't have matter that much imo.

The places to avoid have been the official twitter feeds (the comments) from ND and playstation, and the youtube comments under official videos and podcasts from ign, kindafunny etc....

That would be it. I use Twitter more as a news delivery platform, i.e. new articles alerts from sites I like, updates from companies/developers I like etc so I'm not reading any comments. I saw a tweet from Neil Druckmann yesterday where the tweet carried a spoiler alert for some the comments on the tweet.

EDIT: I mean, I have yet to see where the questionable work conditions was proven to be false and made up. Are you talking about something other than Crunch Time at NaughtDog? [ https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/crunch-time-at-naughty-dog.61338/ ]

Jason Schreier did the expose on crunch at Naughty Dog, re-iterated yesterday (tweet) that based contact he has with people at Naughty Dog over the years it was a pretty goods place to work apart from crunch.

It stands to reason that not everybody is going to like everything about the company they work for, how they work or how management operates. There was sexual harassment allegation in 2017 that went quiet with no public resolution, but I was accused of harassment by a former employee because of measures we had to take because of her poor performance and that was how she chose to fight that issue. It was a valuable lesson to me that while you shouldn't dismiss allegations, you shouldn't blind accept them either.

'Crunch' isn''t unique to the games industry, working crazy hours at the end of the delivery of any large project in any number of industries has been how things are done for as long as I can remember. Certainly in the aerospace and defence industry and in Government.

I'm not linking to the Schreier and Druckmann twitter posts because I can't remember the behaviour of the twitter plug-in on the forum and don't want any spoiler comments to appear.

Jason Schreier said "I've talked to a lot of ND devs over the years and many have described it as a pretty good place to work... except for the crunch"

That was the tweet I saw. That said, this is not necessarily representative of the way everybody in the company feels, only those JS has engaged with. Of that subset "many" (not all) felt that way. There are few utopian places to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are few utopian places to work.

Very true. Btw, is there any truth to it that those that founded ND left because of bad workplace environments? Look at the fb eurogamer comments, why is it just ND getting so much negativity, not just now but before the leaks also. Why not bash id software also for example?

I guess because the ND case is more documented, and has been on the "crunch all the time" map since Uncharted 4. Then lot of ppl left. Or, maybe ID employees are more reluctant to talk to some websites or on social media.

Sounds a little bit like damage control. People not linked to ND finding this on a ND server seems crazy to me. And why would you store videos of people playing on a dev kit on your aws ?
BTW Sony & ND are going crazy on blocking youtube videos and twitter accounts, even when they're not showing the leaks. For some it's making thing even worse.

Sounds a little bit like damage control. People not linked to ND finding this on a ND server seems crazy to me. And why would you store videos of people playing on a dev kit on your aws ?
BTW Sony & ND are going crazy on blocking youtube videos and twitter accounts, even when they're not showing the leaks. For some it's making thing even worse.
Yes this is utter BS (like most of Schrier's hot takes..) . The footage is clearly not a "devs playing an early build". Any one can clearly see that the person playing is trying to show has much stuff as possible in a condensed way (I especially like the part going trough the engine's debug mode quickly switching between all render passes etc.. Lots of neat technical info in there).

After all this online drama, it looks like it was hackers who accessed the ND AWS server.
https://abload.de/img/ndtweet8tj3n.png

Who has exactly leaked it online, that's another story. They probably knew not to fuck around with stolen data, but someone still leaked it.

Easy to get PS4 devkit? Maybe related to how indie friendly SIEA is? One of the indie dev long ago (I think it was on Twitter?) was shocked to know that it's pretty hard to apply as an indie dev in Asia, but it's pretty easy for dev in US.

Back