Uncharted 4 discussion [PS4] (read first post) [2016]

it was excellent, if a bit confusing at first, as it isn't entirely linear like the other games so you'll have to pay attention if you want to know what your supposed to do!

I was dubious about the "wide linear" thing but they executed it beautifully. For me the first three Uncharted games and The Last of Us work because of the characters, storytelling and pace are under the control of the game designed - just like a good action movie. Keeping the levels tight ensures they also control the pace which means they better control the highs and lows but it's pretty apparent that the world is just a rat run, also like a Hollywood film set. It looks expansive where the cameras is permitted to see, everywhere else is fake.

I know that Uncharted 4 is also a rat run but the illusion of it being a big open world (and admittedly, some of the levels are massively open) is more convincing, yet they still control the overall pacing.

I didn't even know you could do some of the things he does in these videos :)

That first video shows how stupid 'stealth' is in UC4! Extremely deaf and myopic soldiers with the reactions of a hypothermic geriatric on the lash.

That first video shows how stupid 'stealth' is in UC4! Extremely deaf and myopic soldiers with the reactions of a hypothermic geriatric on the lash.

To be fair, if they had the full on skills of real life and the user were limited by a game’s abilities you wouldn’t be able to advance very far in the game.

To be fair, if they had the full on skills of real life and the user were limited by a game’s abilities you wouldn’t be able to advance very far in the game.
Sure. However, I think there's a happier mid-ground. Stealthing should require moving slowly and quietly and staying out of sight. Rushing someone through the grass and face-punching them shouldn't work as stealthing. Strangling the guy's partner 2 feet from him shouldn't go unnoticed!

Sure. However, I think there's a happier mid-ground. Stealthing should require moving slowly and quietly and staying out of sight. Rushing someone through the grass and face-punching them shouldn't work as stealthing. Strangling the guy's partner 2 feet from him shouldn't go unnoticed!

I can’t argue with that. The game kinda asks you to play it realistically but obviously you can go “Rambo” and break it. If you do play it somewhat realistically I think it works. That’s definitely broken though, unless you’re just looking for fun and not realism.

Yes I don;t think it is necessarily broken. Sometimes games are asking you to respect the context of the situation that they are putting you in. Like a virtual actor.
MGS can suffer or be super exhilarating for the same reason. It is built around espionage and stealth, and going Rambo just doesn't fit the concept it was built around. It just isn;t fun that way.
And I think it is deliberate too as Kojima isn't the guy who likes to beautify mindless killing even though he sometimes unintentionally might do it.
Games like Uncharted tend to direct the action too and offer the appropriate handicaps that simply cannot exist in reality in order to enjoy the game.
And it shifts between action and stealth offering you the opportunity to use stealth if you want in some situations.

U4 changed enemy behavior and enemy types with difficulty. I remember trying to get through crushing and was stuck in multiple areas of the game because the AI was reacting way too quickly. This guy is probably doing this on normal by the looks of it, still looks impressive to me, especially the second vid :)

U4 changed enemy behavior and enemy types with difficulty. I remember trying to get through crushing and was stuck in multiple areas of the game because the AI was reacting way too quickly. This guy is probably doing this on normal by the looks of it, still looks impressive to me, especially the second vid :)

I hadn’t thought about that but that makes a lot of sense. Learn the game on “crushing” and then dominate on “easy”.

Nathan Fillion as Drake in this fan made movie:runaway:! It's very well made I'd say, really captures the characters and little details of the game so well, I would pay to see a full length film with the cast.

I like the part at 10:55 when they make it look like a transition from cutscene to 3rd person gameplay. Imagine that running on PS6... *drools*

Played this at release on a 32" 1080p SDR TV on my OG PS4. Then played Lost Legacy a year later on the same TV downsampled on my Pro.

Having sold my copies some time ago I just downloaded the PS Plus freebie and tried it on my 4K OLED in HDR with the Pro. Even for 1440p it holds up wonderfully.

That opening shot of "Join Me In Paradise.....damn! :oops::eek:

Anyone thinks there's a chance we'll get a DLC with would be the "malaysia job"?

Back