Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Back to England already!?! This looks like a really interesting time and theme but I just don't like Assassin's Creed with RPG mechanics, e.g. I can't stab somebody in the face and have them die immediately because they are 2 levels higher than me. This is just wrong. And as much as I tried to persevere with Oddysey, that and the fact that it's ludicrously massive.. can't do it.

Unity nailed it for me. I love Unity.

The problem with Assasins Creed for me is that it's one of those games you can finish and then be burned by the whole concept for 5+ years.
The viking theme is cool but I'd really want them to get rid of the whole "find tower", which is also in the Far Cry games. And I also think the RPG mechanics should go away.

It's also cool to hear the dialects of Orkney and Shetland islands, anyone from the Nordics can feel there's still a similarity to our speech

Back to England already!?! This looks like a really interesting time and theme but I just don't like Assassin's Creed with RPG mechanics, e.g. I can't stab somebody in the face and have them die immediately because they are 2 levels higher than me. This is just wrong. And as much as I tried to persevere with Oddysey, that and the fact that it's ludicrously massive.. can't do it.

Yeah Odyssey was unnecessarily big. So big that a quarter of it could easily have been cut and that would have made it a much nicer experience.

BUT! It was only painful because a lot of the mission required you to fast travel all over the place to talk to someone or fetch things, with stupid loading times.

If those loading times go away, and traversal is made as fast as we hope on next gen, then that would really improve the whole thing.

The problem with Assasins Creed for me is that it's one of those games you can finish and then be burned by the whole concept for 5+ years.
The viking theme is cool but I'd really want them to get rid of the whole "find tower", which is also in the Far Cry games. And I also think the RPG mechanics should go away.

It's also cool to hear the dialects of Orkney and Shetland islands, anyone from the Nordics can feel there's still a similarity to our speech
This could have been a For Honor Franchise expansion. Would have made more sense IMO

Well they needed to move to RPG mechanics to introduce a lot more opportunity for buying "time savers", aka microtransactions.

I think thats just a normal feature for both consoles...physical sku maybe will have both ps4/xb1 logo and ps5/series x logo like the xbox360/xb1 skus of curre t gen....since the only thing seperating the two will be a patch when you put the disc in. Crossgen games will be based on current gen versions

I think thats just a normal feature for both consoles...physical sku maybe will have both ps4/xb1 logo and ps5/series x logo like the xbox360/xb1 skus of curre t gen....since the only thing seperating the two will be a patch when you put the disc in. Crossgen games will be based on current gen versions
Well it's something to look forward to for next gen, it didn't happen this gen.
So we got doozys like Titanfall, Destiny 1, COD Ghosts, Battlefield, that were released on both consoles but if you bought the 360/ps3 game, you couldn't just get the PS4/XBO version when you changed consoles and progress wouldn't move forward either. So it's nice to know that this will be happening, but it's a decision from the publisher. I would like to say that it's just a patch, I mean on PC it is. But it's something different for console land, where the rule has been to require people to double purchase.

It's a fantastic feature, just I don't understand how a sh can afford double development, maintaining a different codebase, without getting more money.

How does the PC market handle it? I've never bought a PC game on Steam or other stores.

Tommy McClain

It's a fantastic feature, just I don't understand how a sh can afford double development, maintaining a different codebase, without getting more money.
This type of thing also encourages publishers to feel freely to release on both knowing that their customer base won't have to pick and choose so I think it's a win/win.

You don't want people to wait around for the next gen console to buy your game if it's releasing now. So now they can freely buy it now and it upgrades and keeps that population united between this gen and next.

secondly, you can afford to extend this generation a bit longer as a publisher and not feel the pressure to immediately release onto next gen. They can pick and choose when they want to let last gen go without alienating their customer base.

thirdly, customers may feel more inclined to purchase your title, with them knowing you already intend to let them have the better version later on. A good way to extend the life of a title through DLC etc.

How does the PC market handle it? I've never bought a PC game on Steam or other stores.

Tommy McClain
there's no such thing as cross gen. there's only ever 1 release. You just gotta have the hardware to play it. But buying it on steam won't unlock it on other stores.

there's no such thing as cross gen. there's only ever 1 release. You just gotta have the hardware to play it. But buying it on steam won't unlock it on other stores.

Ok, why can't consoles work like that?

Tommy McClain

But they do get more money.

Anyone with a PS4 who wants to buy the game, will buy it. And anyone with a PS5 will also be able to buy. Same for One/SX.

The only difference is that instead of having one version for each platform, the disc has the same version. It’s really the same for the publisher.

They might lose a few duplicate sales from people who might buy a PS4 version and then a fully priced PS5 version, but how many people actually do that? The age of ‘remasters’ is finally over. Maybe.

Ok, why can't consoles work like that?

Tommy McClain
nature of the code. the apis and everything is so specific for a piece of hardware that it can't be easily moved to another.
Whereas x86/x64 instructions have been largely the same and DirectX and OpenGL are highly abstracted from the actual hardware so it's up to vendors to improve their driver support for the games.
the pros are that games can work on a variety of hardware new and old.
cons are, you're not likely to get as much performance out of the hardware as you would if you had the low level access that consoles do.

But considering this will be a cross gen title how are they going to improve game design in areas that the current gen consoles do not allow it?
I doubt they'd put much effort it in beyond increasing resolution of post-effects, shader quality, shadow quality, maybe things like grass density? I'm sure it would be noticeable in screenshots but if the big publishers are going to promote cross-gen, they're not going to invest much time.

Back