General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

What is he implying by frightened just because the chip is "nowhere to be seen"? If it's entered mass production, so what?

Yeah. At times I hate Twitter apps as they don't always let you zoom in or resize images. I had to get onto the PC to have it be readable.

It's a lost in translation moment, the correct translation is "Sony is eager to go into production but there are other clients in line"

But it was misconstrued as "Sony is eager to go to the bathroom but there are other clients in line". And the translator added the result.

Maybe they need to respin because oberon have too much leakage.

Last edited:
PS5 delayed to 2021 if what that posted is true. If Arden is already in high volume but Oberon is still not, it's not a good sign considering that Sony is expect to sell a lot more consoles just off the success the PS4 and the Playstation brand.

It's a lost in translation moment, the correct translation is "Sony is eager to go into production but there are other clients in line"

But it was misconstrued as "Sony is eager to go to the bathroom but there are other clients in line". And the translator added the result.

Depends.

PS5 delayed to 2021 if what that posted is true. If Arden is already in high volume but Oberon is still not, it's not a good sign considering that Sony is expect to sell a lot more consoles just off the success the PS4 and the Playstation brand.
It doesn't mean anything. PS4 production started in june (iirc)

Kinda late. I was selfishly hoping with no E3 we'd get things moved into May, even early May (I'd rather see things sooner). Certainly scuttlebutt is that's the case with MS.

Sony seems a bit on their heels/behind so far in reveals and this event date just goes with that.

OTOH with supposedly two rumored MS events, the spacing could be nice. Early May Ms event, late May MS event 2, then Sony in early June, could provide lots to chew on over a greater period of time. Plus whenever the 3rd parties go in there. I imagine they have to wait for MS/Sony permission in order to show stuff running on next gen,

I have to say that this is a very funny lost in translation if it happened. :LOL:

But it's not. Correct translation is Sony is scared into wetting their pants.

AquariusZ is generally terrible at drawing conclusions from his leaks, so the real news is that:

Arden is in production at high volume.
Oberon isn't yet.
Sparkman is under trial production.

Last edited:
They might not have any material earlier if devs were originally scheduling to have polished work ready for June before the Covid situation blew up.
Thought they wasn't doing E3 anyway? I'm not saying covid hasn't had any affect, just that we don't know if the plan was ever for E3 week to begin with.

Regarding PS5 release / quantity, wasn't there reporting Sony saying something like that they are producing less, or was that just crap reporting?

At this rate i expect an ms show in May and one in June if there's going to be 2. See little point in having them both in one month, which would be bringing it forward in fact at they was committed to E3.

Sony doesn't show the console until they have one from mass production, they don't want to show a prototype (they started this trend with ps4). So we can expect mass-production will have started by early june.

So many questions on that translation..

How does a chip start mass production and right afterwards is "nowhere to be seen"? They cancelled mass production?
Sony cancelled the PS5 over fear of the competition, is that his suggestion? Oh well our platform competitor whom we're outselling over 2:1 has a slightly faster chip so let's just pack our shit and leave. Better luck in 8 years I guess.
Or they cancelled Oberon and something else is coming, for an inevitably delayed console at this point?
Or are they just making the SoCs disappear after producing them, in an elaborate trick of magic for the crowd? Or are the SoCs invisible?

If Arden is at high volume already, does this imply an earlier release?

Part of me thinks that another ace either Sony or MS could have is to launch a month or more before the other (provided the software is there). As an early adopter (and one prone to emotional and not rational decisions) that could certainly sway me.

Back