Sony PlayStation 5 Retail Shape? *spawn*

Yeah, the problem with these concepts(and most fanmade console concepts in general) is that there seems to be very little consideration given to cooling.

Agreed. These seem like what could be the Slim version of the PS5 based on the SoC's 5/3nm shrink, but not what we should expect from something with a 2.23GHz GPU on the current 7nm.
Especially considering how Cerny has been suggesting improved accoustics.

Another one. I feel that they are generally to small. I expect more heat to be handled than this generation and I think the PS5 will be a bit bigger.
Likewise, a large fan is going to be critical for quieter airflow so I fully expect the PS5 to be more 'boxy' like Series X but probably not as boxy. I think Sony will want to retain that traditional console form factor (width >> depth, depth >> height) as much as is possible.

As a big proponent of darwin's theories, I think you should cancel your preorder. Thinking liquid metal is worth your money is insane. Cutting the cover, even more. Please post pictures of your mistakes so others can learn.
What mistake (and what pre-order)? It's at least 25% quieter, took 30 minutes to do, and I already had leftover liquid metal. I don't see the point in mocking my decision to mod my PS4 to reduce the noise. The point was the stock heatsink is too small and it would be a win for Sony if the PS5s shape allows for quieter cooling.

A hole in the top will completely remove the airflow from the hdd and the gddr5, they are ingress. It warrants warning others not to do that.

Pictures of the hole or it didn't happen.

A hole in the top will completely remove the airflow from the hdd and the gddr5, they are ingress. It warrants warning others not to do that.

So your personal attacks are a public service? Great... The GDDR5 is fine, and what choice do I have? I already said I would add another fan on GDDR5 side but I don't care anymore if the console breaks.

I lent the Pro to a friend who is alone during quarantine and bored. Here's a similar mod:

Last edited:
Right. You see the perforated metal on the bottom through the fan? That's where the air comes in from under the board in a laminar flow from the second row of inlets on the sides. Making a big hole above the fan means no equal inlet pressure from the other side, and there's much less air cooling the hdd, the gddr5, and the southbridge. This leads to a quiet console for 5 minutes until the heat accumulates and the temp sensors attempt to compensate.

So I will reiterate that people shouldn't do that, and I'll move on.

Before I replaced the TIM on my ps4 pro, simply popped the top cover off and then laying it on top of the ps4 pro (without clipping it back in) changed the noise profile to have lower pitch. More whooosh.

Likewise, a large fan is going to be critical for quieter airflow so I fully expect the PS5 to be more 'boxy' like Series X but probably not as boxy. I think Sony will want to retain that traditional console form factor (width >> depth, depth >> height) as much as is possible.

They probably wanna design it to be more curvy, and angled.. To make it look distinct to Xbox Hella boxy.

Maybe even keep the slanted look and curved edges from ps4.

The top of the PS3 seemed to be pretty a big fan but I wouldn't call it quiet :)

hopefully sony strong-armed DELTA to make quiet fan, or exclusively goes with Nidec. Also use good TIM.

Whenever I hear about Delta fans, I'm always reminded of the Intel Mendocino (the infamous Celeron 300A) era of PC overclocking. This was when really loud 60x60x38mm Delta Fans (50-60 db or more) were popular for overclocking due to the amount of air they could push.

And you would generally have 2-3 of them on a CPU heatsink. With the Celeron 300A having the benefit of a general minimum overclock of 50% (almost all of them could hit at least 450 MHz if cooled well) combined with the ability to use them in dual socket server mainboards, they were extremely popular in the OC circles. My first dual CPU system used 2x OC'd Celeron 300A's.

That also meant you'd have 4-6 of those god awfully loud Delta fans. If you were really insane (basically any overclocker of that era) you would also stick in god awfully loud high CFM Delta case fans.

Basically that experience scarred me for life. :p Anything Delta fan related is something to run away from screaming in fear as loud as I can...only to be drowned out by the scream of those 60 mm Delta fans.

Regards,
SB

No idea how the ps5 will look but the color scheme of the controller has me a bit worried. For some reason it makes me feel like an overpriced limited edition sneaker. It doesn't help that IMHO the xbsx looks pretty sleek.

That said Sony usually does pretty well on the design of their devices even though not everything looks good at first sight. But over time I usually start to appreciate them.

No way Sony will make a console that looks that good. That's unpossible.

It resembles the Asus GR8 series of small pc casings there.

P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

Don't know how the flow would affect the gddr5 although I guess you can add heatsinks to that ? However another popular mod to the ps4 is a ssd. The traditional 2.5 inch ssds run much cooler (esp newer ones) than the old mechanical ones. so it might not be as important to that component to have the same air flow.

I can understand wanting a quieter system. I have some friends and family that have had me clean out and re-paste their ps3/s and ps4 and I've done it on xboxs also. Its one of the reasons i never upgrade to the S. The xbox one original was so quiet

Nicely done. Check especially from 1:50.

Looks nice but it looks like that design would be awkward at best when not in that vertical alignment (both visually and functionally). The slots at the bottom look like vents. So you'd have a fairly significant number of vents being completely blocked.

Regards,
SB

Nicely done. Check especially from 1:50.
I'm still expecting the DualSense to have two buttons in the back, plus either a custom connector or a USB-C in the bottom for expansion.

Plus, I don't think the PS5 will be that thin. And if it was, they wouldn't design it in a way that it would look asymmetric if you put it on the horizontal.

That sphere design is just not practical at all. It should be at home even on smaller homes with cramped entertainment centers.
It’s even worse than the Sony Vaio VGX-TP1

That other one.. looks like IKEA Romma cable management box.

Didn't know SONY made robot floor cleaners.

So its august 31st , has anyone actually seen a ps5 in person ? We have seen various people holding real xbox series x at gamescon and we saw the tear down back in what Feb/ March from DF.... where is the ps5 ? Is something wrong that they haven't been able to show a finished product ?

Back