Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In pure performance Intel is still on top, but at a much higher price. Nowadays the best choice for a cpu is amd, offers a greater price/performance ratio, in special if you want something modern like a 12c/24t cpu. Intel has no real match for that, humanly priced then.

Gears Tactics PC - The Digital Foundry Tech Review: VRS, Performance, Engine Analysis + More
that 20% improvement in performance is super,, all the more so for people like me now that I am on low power consumption mode with the coronavirus thing and the global economy. The iq you can lose is totally negligible, nice tech. Thankfully, nVidia has made very efficient GPUs as of late and for instance my GTX 1080 only has a single 8 pins PCI-e connector, which is a feat for the performance you get.

Hold out for Zen3 if you can. You know you'll kick yourself upon release if you don't. :yep2:
that in the desktop space, where nothing can beat them now so they are fine, however, in the laptop space, the words of AMD's employee Frank Azor hint at the fact that we aren't seeing top laptops using Ryzen 4000 despite being far superior -imo-, because the companies which manufacture laptops owe things to Intel, which bribed them with favours, like inviting them to events for free while only having the Intel's logo in their stands and so on as compensation.

While there are a few models out there, most of the laptops in the market equipped with a Ryzen 4000 usually have a mediocre GPU for such a CPU.

Gears Tactics PC - The Digital Foundry Tech Review: VRS, Performance, Engine Analysis + More
they said vrs is free 20-30% without graphic compromise and in the end yet another (not say bad) technic to increase fps but with some quality reduction that for sure you can notice

I see Alex has moved away from his fireplace with his fancy knitted cardigans, our banter has gotten the best of him.

Also, Alex has done a very good job at explaining how Tier 2 VRS works using an image. The way that bitmap highlights teh different shading zones is a very specific way to targeting the pixels you want to apply the different shading rates with. And then he immediately goes into the contrast with Tier 1 VRS where the developers cannot use that image to target shading zones, and instead needs to apply it per object etc.

This was a great way to illustrate what's written in the patents for VRS Tier 2 in particular the MS patented version of it which read like this as did Nvidia's. AMD's patent was quite a bit more confusing.

Last edited:

What is most frustrating is removing dynamic resolution support from the X build when they already have it for base model. Going forward with new consoles clearly on the horizon what cannot hit 4k60 now certainly with within months.

I do not think Beenox lack the talent or resources for a pretty high profile title. It seems to leave a less pleasant possibility.

Honestly not sure what caused the flickering on my throat for the opening shots in the video. I used the same lights and bulbs I always used... and my previous videos never had that problem. Maybe I accidentally turned my camera into some mode unknowingly and did not notice!

Honestly not sure what caused the flickering on my throat for the opening shots in the video. I used the same lights and bulbs I always used... and my previous videos never had that problem. Maybe I accidentally turned my camera into some mode unknowingly and did not notice!
lol move back to the fireplace can't beat real light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back