How do you handle false memory, and people that certain they are right?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Hiya! All of you are awesome people from different culture, and live in different places. So I'm curious with how do you handle false memory, and people that certain they are right?

i dont mean for antagonizing them, but how to handle them in normal daily life? be it by accepting that i was the one in wrong, correcting them (if its important), etc.

in work condition i handle these kind of things easily due to auto call recorder, voice recorder, and i like to clarify what the task was via written media (whatsapp chat, etc). So when they were pretty adamant that they were saying X (or I was saying Y), i can simply refer to the recorded conversation or the texts.

but in normal daily life, how do you handle these condition?

I rarely meet other person so in my extremely limited experience, I usually handle that by saying something in the line of "i have bad memory, i probably misspoke or misremembered" embellished with light laugh and the conversation will move on. But when im in a bad mood or busy, i know i should say something like that, but my mouth will spout other sentences that make them feels antagonized (like asking them what was the conversation about , raising possibility of they/me misunderstanding, clarifying what they mean, etc).

oh. bonus question. How to give a hint that you were slipping a joke without saying "that was a joke".

Btw this makes me remember a lecturer in a university many years ago. He looooves to give "work it at home" task that have hidden objectives. You can't ask him what he really wanted as he'll be angry. So you need to extrapolate from the task given and the previous classes and the recent happenings in the world and upcoming events that are related to him.

Record everything...

TBH even that doesn't work, as you can present people with what they said and get weird alternative interpretations where they excuse themselves, like 'I was being sarcastic'.

Personally, if it's unimportant, let it slide. If it's important, importance comes before personal feelings.

Back