new PC

I'm sure most combinations of RAM will work at JEDEC speeds. The point is operating at much more optimal speeds and not gambling on compatibility later on.

I'm sure most combinations of RAM will work at JEDEC speeds. The point is operating at much more optimal speeds and not gambling on compatibility later on.

Hence, why I brought this up in relation to the Ryzen 3xxx series. Mixed capacities, mixed manufacturers, and mixed manufacture dates all running at higher than JEDEC speeds. This wasn't possible on Ryzen 1xxx series due to the rather crummy on die memory controller.

Ryzen 3xxx got AMD much closer to the quality of Intel's memory controller (at least when it comes to compatibility across a broad range of memory).

That said, the one caveat to the whole thing is that you want at least matched capacities for dual channel banks. So in my case that means 2x 8 GB sticks and 2x 16 GB sticks. But outside of that you can have mixed manufacturers in all 4 banks, at least on Ryzen 3xxx. You'll just be limited by the least compatible or slowest stick of memory.

Regards,
SB

PC.png

OK set my CPU to never go above 3600 mhz, the fan going up and down all the time from boosting was driving me nuts.
But is my memory set right its 3200mhz?, I assume 1064x3 = 3200

Even Zen+ (Ryzen 2000) was pretty bad with RAM speeds in my experience. I had matched 2933MHz sticks (JEDEC, not XMP) on a Ryzen 2600 + X470 mobo and I had to run them at 2800MHz or it bluescreened. I know the difference between 2933 and 2800MHz is not noticeable but I was surprised the thing wouldn't even run the sticks at their JEDEC spec.

I wanted to have at least 3200mhz and I thought 3600mhz has more chance of achieving it than 3200mhz
apparently 3600 is the sweet spot with ryzen something to do with the infinity fabric not being able to sync to anything faster

I wanted to have at least 3200mhz and I thought 3600mhz has more chance of achieving it than 3200mhz
apparently 3600 is the sweet spot with ryzen something to do with the infinity fabric not being able to sync to anything faster
Davros what are your PC specs these days?

PC.png

OK set my CPU to never go above 3600 mhz, the fan going up and down all the time from boosting was driving me nuts.
But is my memory set right its 3200mhz?, I assume 1064x3 = 3200

That has your memory set at 2133 speed. 2x1064.5 (DRAM frequency) = DDR4-2133.

DDR4-3200 would have a DRAM frequency of ~1600. Here's mine at stock XMP.

62ukMoQ.png

You can also install Ryzen Master to see what speed your memory is running at. It's also a great utility for monitoring your CPU.

cheers mate
PC2.png

PC froze and had to hard reset, so not the best after only one day :oops:

The SPD tab just lists the available memory profiles of the stick in the selected slot, not what speed it's actually running at. It's good information to have available but as mentioned doesn't tell you what speed your memory is currently set to. That's what the Memory tab is for.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
cheers mate
PC2.png

PC froze and had to hard reset, so not the best after only one day :oops:
take @Silent_Buddha advice. Set it to XMP, dont fiddle with settings if you are unsure. My Ryzen 1500X suffered my fiddling quite a bit with unstable memory settings. :mrgreen: 3 years later, though, it is working like a charm after I set it to XMP, and memory set at 3200MHz, all auto. It performs like a charm.

take @Silent_Buddha advice. Set it to XMP, dont fiddle with settings if you are unsure. My Ryzen 1500X suffered my fiddling quite a bit with unstable memory settings. :mrgreen: 3 years later, though, it is working like a charm after I set it to XMP, and memory set at 3200MHz, all auto. It performs like a charm.

The memory controller in the Ryzen 1xxx series was so crummy that I couldn't even run 2 sticks of my current memory at XMP speeds. I could get just a tad over DDR-3000 with a lot of tweaking, but only with 2 sticks of my current memory. With Ryzen 3xxx I can OC them to 3333 with 4 sticks, but prefer to just run them at XMP rather than pushing it to the limit. I'm honestly never going to notice the difference between 3200 and 3333.

And that's with Samsung B-dies on my memory sticks. I just got particularly unlucky with my 1600x. Still, with 6 cores for the price, it was a wonderful little CPU to hold me over until AMDs Zen architecture matured enough for me to fully commit to an 8 core CPU.

Regards,
SB

The memory controller in the Ryzen 1xxx series was so crummy that I couldn't even run 2 sticks of my current memory at XMP speeds. I could get just a tad over DDR-3000 with a lot of tweaking, but only with 2 sticks of my current memory. With Ryzen 3xxx I can OC them to 3333 with 4 sticks, but prefer to just run them at XMP rather than pushing it to the limit. I'm honestly never going to notice the difference between 3200 and 3333.

And that's with Samsung B-dies on my memory sticks. I just got particularly unlucky with my 1600x. Still, with 6 cores for the price, it was a wonderful little CPU to hold me over until AMDs Zen architecture matured enough for me to fully commit to an 8 core CPU.
Yeah I still can't run anything over 2933 with my B-die RAM rated at 3200, and that's on my 2600X

You can also install Ryzen Master to see what speed your memory is running at. It's also a great utility for monitoring your CPU.
OK thanks, I do have that installed, I'll look into why its not at 1600.
Im happy with the speed everything runs at now, startup of my game is under 4 seconds, with my nuc it was over 8 seconds, best case scenerio (though if I checked out something on the web it would take 40+ seconds as it would have to refresh the games memory).

OK thanks, I do have that installed, I'll look into why its not at 1600.
Im happy with the speed everything runs at now, startup of my game is under 4 seconds, with my nuc it was over 8 seconds, best case scenerio (though if I checked out something on the web it would take 40+ seconds as it would have to refresh the games memory).

So, your memory has an XMP profile for DDR4-3200 speeds. Basically you want to do a few things as a basic test.
  • Go into your BIOS and make sure the memory is set to the XMP profile. I'm not looking at my BIOS right now so I forget what it's called. It'll likely be in the Overclock section of settings, though. This also depends on MB manufacturer.
  • Save and Exit from BIOS.
  • Immediately go back into the BIOS and check to see if the memory is running at the correct speed and that it still retains your XMP setting.
If your screen kind of flashes a few times before starting Windows boot, this could mean that your MB is trying to get what it thinks is a stable setting for your memory. This means that for some reason your MB/CPU may not like the default XMP settings for that stick of RAM so it'll negotiate a slower speed. This happened frequently for me with the Ryzen 1600x, but I don't think you should have a problem with the Ryzen 3600 unless it's some obscure RAM with low quality memory dies. Alternatively potentially faulty memory could be a problem also if it won't run at XMP speeds.

Regards,
SB

Yeah I still can't run anything over 2933 with my B-die RAM rated at 3200, and that's on my 2600X
have you tried updating the BIOS? This is what solved all my problems with the memory when I got the Ryzen 1500X. The only stable speed for me was 2400MHz before, but my mem's speed is 3200MHz.

After a BIOS update for the B350M Gaming Pro motherboard in mid 2018 -maybe even a bit before-, it started working like a charm and not restarting at all during the boot up -which is what happened when I tried to update the speed to 3200MHz. There were times where I experimented and had to take measures like removing the BIOS battery, which is quite painful to return to the default values 'cos the computer wasnt booting.

When Ryzen came out it was a common issue, the only issue of these amazing processors.

have you tried updating the BIOS? This is what solved all my problems with the memory when I got the Ryzen 1500X. The only stable speed for me was 2400MHz before, but my mem's speed is 3200MHz.
Of course, about 15-20 various versions since I first bought my original 1700. I'm running the latest now. I've also tried DRAM calculator and lots of research on overlocking forums.

Back