Virtual surround on Xbox One with headphones

there is a slight difference yes, in a positive way. Atmos goes slightly further but it costs 18€ on PC and I think it is the same for the Xbox One.

I've seen some comments that preference Sonic over Atmos at least on PCs.

This is referring to BR movies if I understood correctly. But what about games? Are their games that support it and if yes, can PS4 do it for games too?

I think it's just the difference of providing it as a service on the console. Overwatch had Dolby Atmos for headphones on the PC long before it became a feature of Windows 10. I don't see any reason why a PS4 game could not support it on their own.

I think it's just the difference of providing it as a service on the console. Overwatch had Dolby Atmos for headphones on the PC long before it became a feature of Windows 10. I don't see any reason why a PS4 game could not support it on their own.

There's also the matter of having to license it and, minus a True Audio implementation, having the CPU cycles to spare.

I tried sonic on the pc and wasnt impressed to be honest
remember some old hifi's had a stereo wide setting, it reminded me of that

I used sonic for a movie. Sounded good but the movie wasn't really a showcase for positional audio.

I think it'll be more interesting when we get object based formats or games using things like steam audio.

Noticed some minor bugs with the update:
- Crackling sounds when playing Phantom Dust that was fixed by resetting Headphone audio to stereo uncompressed
- No sound with BC compatible Garou Mark of the Wolves fixed the same way as above

Played with Halo some more with both uncompressed Windows Sonic and I can say for sure that it does help with knowing your position relative to enemies.

There's also the matter of having to license it and, minus a True Audio implementation, having the CPU cycles to spare.

I'm guessing paying for the license can solved the same way MS is handling the situation by having u spend $15 for the app.

IIRC, Polaris dropped the True Audio DSP because True Audio Next is gpgpu based so in theory the DSP may be unnecessary.

That's because GPU compute is not being used that heavily on PC, so there are more opportunities available when graphics work is not fully utilizing the GPU where audio work can be slipped in. On consoles this is not the case.

Sorry for the necro. Didn't want to spam a new thread.

I'm looking for suggestions for wireless headphones for my Xbox One. I'm trying to keep the budget low $50 or less. Yes, I'm a game peasant. Would be nice if they were also Bluetooth compatible so I can use them with other devices like my phone or PC. Anybody have any direct experience here? Thanks!

Tommy McClain

Sorry for the necro. Didn't want to spam a new thread.

I'm looking for suggestions for wireless headphones for my Xbox One. I'm trying to keep the budget low $50 or less. Yes, I'm a game peasant. Would be nice if they were also Bluetooth compatible so I can use them with other devices like my phone or PC. Anybody have any direct experience here? Thanks!

Tommy McClain

I have no experience in this budget, but you can start here
https://headphonesaddict.com/best-bluetooth-headphones-under-50/
https://headphonesaddict.com/best-headphones-under-50/

Found the PDP Gaming LVL50 wireless for $79 on Amazon.

Doesn't seem to support Bluetooth & it uses a USB dongle that I guess uses it's own wireless tech instead of the Microsoft tech.

61a82J7GXNL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.pdp.com/en/shop/headset/lvl50-wireless-stereo-headset-for-xbo-na

Tommy McClain

Thanks. After looking there it seems no Xbox compatible wireless headsets are under $100. :(

I will keep looking.

Tommy McClain

AFAIK all USB wireless headsets works with xbox, just like ps4. The ones where the USB wireless basically showed as the usual audio output device on windows.

I would suggest getting your favourite regular pair of headphones. And if you need a mic; just buy a modmic and a y-splitter cable. Should save you a lot of money.
I don’t recommend buying headsets anymore. Modmic offers a superior mic for much cheaper and you can attach it to any setup you like.

the Y - cable will be for Xbox. Once you remove your Y cable it works for PC. Take off the modmic; use your headphones as regular listening for other stuff. Most versatile; cheapest option if you already have a headset.

I would suggest getting your favourite regular pair of headphones. And if you need a mic; just buy a modmic and a y-splitter cable. Should save you a lot of money.
I don’t recommend buying headsets anymore. Modmic offers a superior mic for much cheaper and you can attach it to any setup you like.

the Y - cable will be for Xbox. Once you remove your Y cable it works for PC. Take off the modmic; use your headphones as regular listening for other stuff. Most versatile; cheapest option if you already have a headset.

Interesting. Nice recommendation. Will look more into that.

BTW I did find out that RTINGS.com has been reviewing headsets...

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best/xbox-one-headsets

Tommy McClain

AFAIK all USB wireless headsets works with xbox, just like ps4. The ones where the USB wireless basically showed as the usual audio output device on windows.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the recommendation. That might be an option, but I will need to research it further.

Tommy McClain

Back