SSD dead after Windows 10 update...

Last weekend I defied the isolation rules to fix my elderly parents' computer, which was found dead without bootable disk the next morning directly after 'Update and shut down' -operation. Luckily I had left the old HD unconnected inside the case back when I cloned it to the new SSD a little more than a year ago, so I was finally able to boot with the HD when all the revival attempts with SSD failed. The SSD seems lost for good, trying to rebuild partitions fail with IO error.

Searching the web it seems this has happened to numerous people, somebody always stating that it was just a coincidence that the failure happened at Windows update. I do not believe that it is _purely_ coincidental. Some sort of design or quality issue must be showing up in that situation. The drive itself is clearly the culprit for its own death, but I wonder what is the trigger here...

Try upgrading the ssd firmware. Usually the brand website will have some kind of software for that

I have no desire to make it work again, since it demonstrably is defective - I might RMA it once I can bother myself do it. The drive itself seems pretty notorious so even if I get a replacement it won't go to anything that needs to be reliable:

I'm just wondering the failure mode. The Windows update does perform a rather long batch of writes compared to near-idling of typical desktop usage, so maybe the likelihood of failure just increased due to that.

I have a Crucial MX300 SSD.
It is my workhorse for laptops, fast and reliable.

It has capacitors inside to make sure the metadata is safe when power is gone.

Thanks for the recommendation, Crucial was exactly what I was going to be buying as a replacement, so two hours ago I picked up an MX500 which right now receiving a clone from the old disk.

Back