Support for Machine Learning (ML) on PS5 and Series X?

Or, just like the other thread, Sony haven't talked about everything they have yet.

Exactly, it's too early to make the call that either console is lacking some hardware features based on an early reveal one month ago. My post was a reaction as to how some resonate.

You would expect that if PS5 doesn't have it then multiplatform games won't either, but what about if the devs are using Direct X Ultimate which has ML in it? If the DX API makes it easy to add it in to the PC and XSX version, why wouldn't they just do it?
Support for ML in games only requires API support from the vendor. ML models can run on any sort fo hardware, but weaker harder just takes more time. As long as Sony supports developers by proving something like DirectML equivalent but for GNM, yea the option is open. ML doesn't have to be super resolution. Lots of other ways to use it.

Could ML be used for AI? No idea about ML at all, but it sounds like something that could be used for AI situations. Maybe online MP is a thing of the past sometime :p

Could ML be used for AI? No idea about ML at all, but it sounds like something that could be used for AI situations. Maybe online MP is a thing of the past sometime :p
Yes, this is where i hope to see lots of usage in games. Here's a student project where somenoe trained a neural network to play for honor.

EA has been a bit vocal about it as well.

Microsoft has a couple of research projects about that.

Going through patents from time to time gives insight to what these companies are working in. Like for instance Sony filed a patent for using neural network to take over a game from a player after they quit a multiplayer session by learning how the player plays.

I wonder if int4 has enough accuracy to handle assessment of applicable sexuality based slurs. :cry:
considering the simplicity of it; probably don't need high precision.

decoding racism should require high precision though. Apparently people have a hard time figuring out of what they said was racist or not.

Last edited:
So with 97 TOPS on the XSX, and the use of DirectML, what can we expect for the XSX in all reality?
I think the XSX is going to be able to out put all games at 4k, do I don't see a need for 1080p to 4k upscaling, and the extra CPU power of the Zen cores will improve AI alone, so what is the benefit going to be?

Multiple ways to use ML. Super resolution is just one aspect. They could use it as well. They just need to be comfy with 30fps

Back