Rebuilding Bubbles, take..uhm I lost count.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Nothing major this time, I'm really happy with her Ryzen 5 1600/Asrock B450 Pro4, 2x8GB Aegis DDR4-3000 16-16-18-38 1.35v/8GB PowerColor Red Dragon 8GB RX580/Corsair 850w/too many drives; but her case has been hacked up a few too many times and I think I could cool my CPU down with a bit of a better cooler.

I'm using the stock cooler now and have been running at 4GHz forever now, but she's hitting 70+ and I'd rather have it lower. Picked up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, got a better fan for it, and a drop in PCIe card with 7 USB 3.0 ports. (I run out of USB ports a lot)

My son's old case is actually in pretty pristine condition except for having the small drive cage ripped out to make room for long video cards, but that's a pretty normal mod. :)

Only problem that leaves 4 bays for 6 drives. I'll get creative, it'll work.

Aside from that I'm excited about a decent CPU cooler and a side fan with an enclosed case instead of an open side, my computer is a dog hair magnet and requires constant cleaning. Hoping this will cut down on that a little.

Got a couple of new 120mm fans to make the air go where I want it and I'm sort of looking forward to this. It's not like fixing a computer, it's just moving it into a new case with a few little upgrades. Easy and relaxing with hopefully no suprises.

Like I said, nothing ground breaking but I'm excited. It's good to tear down your system every now and again and clean the hell out of it, this will make me do that while transferring.

I'm also looking at the side fan to drastically help with the temps on my RX580, the Red Dragon is notorious for running a little fast but the paste jobs are usually good so I'm not repasting it.

Yatta, a project I enjoy! :love:
\

Only problem that leaves 4 bays for 6 drives. I'll get creative, it'll work.

If any of those happen to be 2.5" SSDs...duct tape works quite well. I've done that with a few PCs since vibration isn't a concern for them, it's not a problem to just duct tape them to any available surface. Just don't tape it to a hot surface or use excessive tape. :p

If it's a glass sided case and they want it to look pretty inside, I imagine double sided tape might work as well.

Regards,
SB

Pathetic. I have all the bits, the case and spare PSU came today and I didn't even open the boxes until hours after they came. Haven't even pulled the case from the cardboard yet, something is causing cognitive impairments besides my usual habits for the last week or so and I'm just trying to get my wits/coordination/energy up to doing it.

Sort of driving me nuts, it's all right there! Just absolutely no drive/motivation/energy to do it. Been trying to go to sleep for the last 5-6 hours and it's just eluding me.

Tomorrow, or today rather, or tomorrow depending on how today goes. Life is a bit hard to predict right now. :/

Got the front two fans on, just pulled the one that came with the case to see if it's any good or just a sleeve one and figuring out my remaining fan strategies while the grill dries more after poking out all the holes again and making the green in 'em go away.

Not rushing, just getting a feel for the internals of the case now and starting to plan. Probably won't tear down Bubbles til tomorrow, I'm not in a rush and I want to do it right. It's been a long time since Bubbles was pretty, or even decent, or not looking like she's held together with duct tape and zip ties....notasempty.jpg

Originally how it came, but without the green internal lighting. The grates in front were that lime green though and I had gotten blue fans....

newcasenew.jpg

So I fixed it!

upload_2020-4-18_13-36-37.png

Wondering about fans. I got the two in front blowing in, the one in the back blowing out, and I have one on top and for some reason thought it would be better blowing in? I can't help but think that's wrong, but I want to force the lower front fan to blow air to the viddy card. Thoughts? Or should I just stick a 120mm fan in the case by the vid card pointed at it?

You want to have negative pressure in the system, more exhaust pressure and less intake pressure while at the same time having enough air circulation.

Negative pressure – More air is being pulled out of the case than being pushed in, creating a vacuum. To determine pressure, total the CFM of all the intake fans and CFM of all the exhaust fans. If the intake CFM is greater, then you have positive pressure. If exhaust CFM is greater, then you have negative pressure.​

You want to have negative pressure in the system, more exhaust pressure and less intake pressure while at the same time having enough air circulation.

Negative pressure – More air is being pulled out of the case than being pushed in, creating a vacuum. To determine pressure, total the CFM of all the intake fans and CFM of all the exhaust fans. If the intake CFM is greater, then you have positive pressure. If exhaust CFM is greater, then you have negative pressure.​

Depends on how you plan to handle dust in the system as well. All of my systems are positive pressure with 0 exhaust fans except for the blower on a video card. I find it interesting that almost all PSUs nowadays also use intake fans rather than exhaust fans. Anyway, I then have dust filters over the intake fans. So, dust just isn't a problem in any of my systems anymore, other than cleaning the dust filters every so often.

Prior to doing this I would have to clean out the dust accumulation in my cases about once a year. The most painful part would always be cleaning the CPU HSF. And the GPU HS would never get cleaned because I just didn't feel like disassembling the cooling assembly on that. Now, it just isn't a problem.

I had originally tried to seal any place that air could enter the case prior to that. But no matter how thorough I thought I was being, there was always some place dust was coming in due to negative pressure. It was also a royal PITA trying to seal any potential area where dust could enter the case.

Regards,
SB

Back