Cheapest VR rig to play Alyx on?

Well I'm pretty sure I'm legally blind in my left eye without my glasses, but I see just fine with them. Without them I have about a 4-5" range of detailed vision.

I HATE blur! Hate it, hate it, HATE IT! Thanks for the heads-up!

Looks like I have a whole lot of research to do instead of just blindly jumping in. Thanks for straightening me out, I'm gonna do a LOT more research before getting anything. :)

if you have vision issues drop some money on a set of lenses

https://vroptician.com/
https://vr-lens-lab.com/

I had lasik a decade ago so i dunno which ones are better. However i do know from friends that using a set from one of these companies is much better than wearing glasses in the vr unit.

Thanks for the tip, glad to know they have those. I was worried that glasses would be an impediment to VR, I was gonna pick up a set of contacts just to take that out of the equation but I prefer glasses so thank you!

Thanks for the tip, glad to know they have those. I was worried that glasses would be an impediment to VR, I was gonna pick up a set of contacts just to take that out of the equation but I prefer glasses so thank you!
your quite welcome.

Let me know what you go with ultimately and how it works for you ! we can all get a round of frisbee golf in rec room

Is there any chance Alyx will come to PSVR? Would save a lot of headaches for me, reading this thread ( and money!)

Is there any chance Alyx will come to PSVR? Would save a lot of headaches for me, reading this thread ( and money!)

Perhaps it could come out for psvr. At least on pc valve has been good on supporting a good variety of headsets.

Is Half-Life: Alyx coming to PSVR? Not according to the debut trailer, but it's still something worth asking, especially as the game is due for release so soon. In fact, we asked Valve this very question shortly after the game's announcement. The company responded, and the answer is unsurprisingly vague -- but it isn't a "no".
Designer Greg Coomer reconfirms that the "initial" release of Half-Life: Alyx will be "available for SteamVR only". It definitely sounds like Valve is aware of the desire to see the game come to PSVR, however: "We believe Sony’s VR platform has been a huge success for the medium, and we assume that lots of Sony customers would love to experience this new chapter of Half-Life."

Coomer goes on to confirm that a PlayStation VR port is not in active development "because we’re very focused on the initial release". Having said that, he concludes that Valve has "not ruled anything out".

It's as we suspected -- Valve isn't working on a PSVR version of Half-Life: Alyx, but it's not saying it won't in the future. We suppose it's also worth entertaining the possibility that the game will release on a successor to Sony's headset at some point in the years to come. It's no secret that PSVR is at the lower end of the technical spectrum, so perhaps we'll see Valve's game appear on next generation gear, assuming it happens.
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/is_half-life_alyx_coming_to_psvr_heres_what_valve_had_to_say

With how flat valve work culture is, if enough of their workers gets hyped with Psvr (or Psvr 2?)they probably gonna port it

Alyx makes zero sense to play with monitor and keyboard+mouse. It just doesn't translate that way. Alyx experience is all in being in there in vr. In more detail being able to manipulate things with hands and being able to physically duck behind covers, peek out, look around, use gravity gloves to grab and throw things etc.

Alyx makes zero sense to play with monitor and keyboard+mouse. It just doesn't translate that way. Alyx experience is all in being in there in vr. In more detail being able to manipulate things with hands and being able to physically duck behind covers, peek out, look around, use gravity gloves to grab and throw things etc.

And don't forget with throwing shit to enemies because no ammo...

And no ammo because the atmosphere and physics is so good (more like... Abundant?), I keep wasting ammo just shooting things

One more vote in here for Digital to pick up the Quest. It fits over my glasses (I too am blind AF) but it's just a tad face-heavy. After the Virtual Desktop 1.12.1 release, and so long as you have a high quality AC router and not a ton of 5GHz noise in your area, playing Alyx completely wirelessly has been a fantastic experience. Yes, there is the rare occasion of a hitch in the stream, but it's so much better at room scale wirelessly versus being tethered to a cable, and also ignoring any of the aforementioned USB 3 compatibility issues with ports or cables or whatnot.

The battery drain hasn't been excessive IMO. My quest usually gives me around 2.5 hours of playtime for anything native to the headset, and probably right at 2 hours of playtime with VDesktop. It's probably healthier to stop at least that often anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

Does it mean I'm old because it just sort of grossed me out/confused me? :(
As long are you are in control of where you are looking, it's all good for the most part. If the game foolishly takes head tracking control away from you and forces you to look somewhere, get ready for major discomfort and potential face spewing.

This is mostly something that happens when trying to play old games in Vorpx and they have cutscenes or silly forced animations for stuff. Closing one eye helps a ton with these moments.

Ok, can someone explain to me what is going on with the guy in the VR headset in this video and is this a normal VR experience? If so, I am rethinking my decision...

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256779708/movie_max.webm?t=1585738532

If you are prone to any sort of motion sickness (sea sickness, for example or even slight discomfort when in the passenger seat of a car where the driver likes to hard brake and hard accelerate frequently) then definitely try before you buy. Especially if you want to use it for action games.

While that video was obviously exaggerated for effect, nausea in VR is a very real thing for some people. And different things will trigger it in different people. IE - for some people lateral movement will trigger it but not forward motion. For some people, forward motion triggers it but lateral movement doesn't. And it's possible for any movement to trigger it.

This isn't to scare you off, but just to be aware of the possibility. There are very VERY few games I can comfortably game in with VR. But since I primarily have a VR headset for movies, that's not a big concern for me.

Regards,
SB

Back