Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

To me it's funny that oculus decided to make the worst case appear as their logo during quest bootup. Talk about first impressions there. Maybe someone thought logo looks awesome with god rays, but yeah. Silly oculus folks.

To make things worse, if its stuck in a bootlooop or frozen on boot, say welcome to oculus logo burn.

At least according to a few complains on oculus quest subreddit long time ago

Again a specific example would be needed. Perhaps all games I play were designed to hide it. SuperHot has black items on a white background but I haven’t seen anything.

Maybe try using Photoshop? As Psvr works as normal hdmi display in theater mode just fine when connected to pc.

Now I'm curious, hmm, maybe I'll fiddle with it

Again a specific example would be needed. Perhaps all games I play were designed to hide it. SuperHot has black items on a white background but I haven’t seen anything.

I'm using an original rift and don't get it in super hot either. I don't see it much if at all in games, it's mostly pre- opening credits screens where you get the likes of disclaimers in white on a black backgrounds.

That makes me curious with how Sony able to achieve Psvr without fresnel lenses.

Presumably it's making different trade-offs. He didn't say that fresnel lenses are necessary for VR to work. DK1, DK2, and all GearVR models used traditional lenses, after all. That reddit thread was prompted by the fact that some people are/were modding their Vive and Vive Pros with GearVR lenses.

VR business is good for facebook

During the company’s Q1 2020 earnings call today, Facebook CFO David Wehner said that non-advertising revenue had reached $297 million, an increase of 80% year-over-year. Wehner specifically noted that the increase was “driven primarily by the sales of Oculus products.”

In the expense department, Wehner also said that Facebook’s R&D costs had grown 40% year-over-year, and that the increase was “driven primarily by investments in core product as well as our innovation efforts, particularly in AR/VR.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/facebooks-...ue-primarily-driven-oculus-80-year-year-297m/

I'm loving the competition in the VR market at the moment. I never expected it to be so active back with Rift and Vive were first launched. I wonder how PSVR2 is going to compare.

I'm not expecting quest replacement any time soon. Oculus has history of developing hw in fairly open way. We knew about quest way ahead of time(santa cruz prototypes shown). We also saw the then dismissed half dome prototypes.

That said the improvements look decent but not game changing. I would really expect bigger leap, i.e. much higher resolution, eye tracking and reliance of rendering smartly using eye tracking. I'm not expecting quest replacement for another 2-3 years. I would like to be wrong on this, nothing is better than new toys. Facebook is probably just experimenting in the "open" and not near releasing something new.

I'm not expecting quest replacement any time soon. Oculus has history of developing hw in fairly open way. We knew about quest way ahead of time(santa cruz prototypes shown). We also saw the then dismissed half dome prototypes.

That said the improvements look decent but not game changing. I would really expect bigger leap, i.e. much higher resolution, eye tracking and reliance of rendering smartly using eye tracking. I'm not expecting quest replacement for another 2-3 years. I would like to be wrong on this, nothing is better than new toys. Facebook is probably just experimenting in the "open" and not near releasing something new.

The latest rumours suggest next year for Quest 2:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/oculus-quest-2-now-delayed-until-2021-according-to-new-report

When they make a new rift i hope its modular being able to replace the screen would be awesome, the rest upgrades with your pc

Looks like oculus is going to make a lower cost headset. Real pictures of hw was leaked. Video below is good despite the click bait like topic. Video goes through the leaked pictures and makes some observations and guesses. No IPD adjustment, cheaper strap, lower resolution display though its rgb. Lower resolution might allow to use cheaper soc or higher refresh rate.

I wonder if they always planned for this or if quest success prompted them to make a cost reduced headset for even more mainstream appeal. If the price is right this could be a hit product for those who go price not quality first. Maybe 249$?

"Quest Go?"

Back