Evidently, Crysis is coming back [2020]

Could be referring to ray marched approximations for consoles.

Last edited:
Crysis 1 on the latest Cryengine would be something to look at, wonder how the Raytracing is like too. Either way gonna play this on PS5 for the full experience.

I thought raytracing would be impossible on current gen but its not?? Optimization might go a long way if its possible at decent fps.. Bodes really well for next gen

I didnt think it would be hard to run crysis on modern machines once it was properly paralellized for multiple cores, but its still weird to think switch is running the game. And we are throwing in raytracing too?

Ray tracing is limited without hardware support. By limited, I mean limited in complexity. But I don't expect it to run on any of our current gen consoles at the resolutions they were designed to run at.

Well, Remastered trilogy was one of the more boring outcomes but hey, still cool.

Hopefully it will sell well, proving there is demand, so they can make an actual Crysis 4.

But the platforms (current, soon to be last gen) and raytracing caveats are...weird. Particularly Switch.

I dug out the 360 and put the game on (not even via BC!), the framerate is unbelievably bad! Completely unplayable IMO. So they'd better clean that up. IQ is also horrendous. Very ambitious vistas though for the struggling hardware.

For Switch, I hope they clean up the 360 version a lot.

Ray tracing is limited without hardware support. By limited, I mean limited in complexity. But I don't expect it to run on any of our current gen consoles at the resolutions they were designed to run at.

The fact that its possible at all even in a limited capacity is crazy to me. And yeah crytek swore up and down last gen that they were doing things in crysis 2 and 3 on console that were impossible, it really wasnt worth it due to how the games ran performance wise even with those compromises.

I hope that if they are using some ultra cut down raytracing that they leave it as a toggle rather than baked in cause i dont expect current machines to run even a light form of softwar3 based rt that well.

Also bummed that crysis 2 and 3 arent on the table for modern machines. Hope we get those prior to a hypothetical reboot or whatever.

The fact that its possible at all even in a limited capacity is crazy to me. And yeah crytek swore up and down last gen that they were doing things in crysis 2 and 3 on console that were impossible, it really wasnt worth it due to how the games ran performance wise even with those compromises.

I hope that if they are using some ultra cut down raytracing that they leave it as a toggle rather than baked in cause i dont expect current machines to run even a light form of softwar3 based rt that well.

Also bummed that crysis 2 and 3 arent on the table for modern machines. Hope we get those prior to a hypothetical reboot or whatever.
Yea Cryengine's RT solution is entirely compute shader based. So no DXR is required so it'll definitely be a toggle in the PC space. As for whether the consoles run it, mid-gen refresh would be pushing it, I suppose at lowered resolutions and lowered settings might be enough. I don't know if that'll make the presentation better or worse, likely what we'll see on console is the best possible representation of the title for that specific piece of hardware; it would be cool to see their RT solution though.

So your thinking base consoles wont have it as a toggle @iroboto? Makes sense i guess if its too much for them. Will still be looking forward to how the game holds up in general on base ps4 due to how the last gen console edition was handled

So your thinking base consoles wont have it as a toggle @iroboto? Makes sense i guess if its too much for them. Will still be looking forward to how the game holds up in general on base ps4 due to how the last gen console edition was handled

As per usual for console games, they'll just give you the best settings according to what they feel from their artists.

I'm not honestly sure; there's so little known about Cryengine's ray tracing solution demo below (for those catching up): I think just given the power profile of the consoles to just expect a non RT version of it. But the demo below is just reflections only, there is so much more it could be applied to. And that's sort of where the discussion of restrictions begins. I'm not sure what their engine is capable of.

It's Crysis, the hardware melting legandary crysis. They should one way or another let 12 core / 3080Ti / Optane systems melt with this on Nightmare settings, maybe stuff some path tracing in there at full settings. Dreams but anyway, im sure @Dictator wouldn't mind that, least said :)

Crysis Remastered will focus on the original game’s single-player campaigns and is slated to contain high-quality textures and improved art assets, an HD texture pack, temporal anti-aliasing, SSDO, SVOGI, state-of-the-art depth fields, new light settings, motion blur, and parallax occlusion mapping, particle effects will also be added where applicable. Further additions such as volumetric fog and shafts of light, software-based ray tracing, and screen space reflections provide the game with a major visual upgrade.

https://press.crytek.com/crytek-announces-crysis-remastered#

hm.

Never played it. Looks like I might finally get to see what the fuss was all about. :)

Tommy McClain

Back