Evidently, Crysis is coming back [2020]

I don't think they ever stopped working on Cryengine though; so it should be pretty decent
They being Crytek? They continue to iterate on Cryengine and Showdown uses it, but Crysis the game IP is owned by EA and not part of Crytek. I'd be surprised if a new game based on the Crysis IP was built by an EA studio on anything but Frostbite.
IIRC star citizen is based on Cry engine no?
Originally, yes. It's on Lumberyard now which is Amazon's fork of Cryengine (so technically kinda still Cryengine)

I hope MS is not putting money on a dead franchise. Especially on a shooter since they already have Halo (or what's left of it).

I'm always down for more shooters/FPS. Especially something kind of old school.

I remember back in the day Sony had multiple 1st FPS franchises, Socom, MAG, Resistance, Killzone, (all dead now I suppose, and now their trade is 3rd person character drama Uncharted/TLOU ) and MS just had Halo. I was hoping for a Rare FPS to come along as was rumored one year. Never happened though.

With EA doing something with Crysis, we can be fairly sure it will neither push the boundaries of graphics nor be something the fans are looking for.

Ehh, I am pretty much loving Jedi: Fallen Order, which is EA. To be fair you could make the case that's because of Respawn, not EA. In fact Vince Zampella has supposedly gained much power and autonomy in EA, and Respawn was even given favored status to make Jedi:FO in UE instead of frostbite.

Last edited:
They being Crytek? They continue to iterate on Cryengine and Showdown uses it, but Crysis the game IP is owned by EA and not part of Crytek. I'd be surprised if a new game based on the Crysis IP was built by an EA studio on anything but Frostbite.
Crytek owns the trademark to Crysis, but is that different from "IP" :?: I had the impression EA's involvement was simply publishing rights.

Edit:

Also embedded in the crysis website:

Code:
<meta name="keywords" content="Crysis, FPS, Crytek, Video game, April Fool, launch">[/quote]

hm.

I will gladly accept Crysis: "Blood Dragon" equivalent. :|

Last edited:
A remaster pack is the most low budget thing they can do so its most likely. Not sure why anyone would ask for more. It would be like trusting activision with making a new crash or spyro

And all the games still hold up pretty well visually and mechanically. Why remake a game like that

I'm always down for more shooters/FPS. Especially something kind of old school.

I remember back in the day Sony had multiple 1st FPS franchises, Socom, MAG, Resistance, Killzone, (all dead now I suppose, and now their trade is 3rd person character drama Uncharted/TLOU ) and MS just had Halo. I was hoping for a Rare FPS to come along as was rumored one year. Never happened though.

I'm not against more shooters, I'm against more Crysis games ;). I would like to see another Bioshock for example.

Sony had to bet on a lot of FPS because they weren't able to find their Halo, and in my opinion, they only came close with KZ2 and Resistance 2. Now that they have a deal with Activision they forgot about them. The same happened with MS, they had Halo, plus exclusive COD marketing rights.

Last gen MS lost Bungie and COD rights, so I understand they need to find a new triple AAA franchise they can associate exclusive with Xbox, but I don't think Crysis would be the answer but who knows, I though GoW was over after Ascension and they manage to revive that franchise in very unexpected way.

Edit: BTW, I don't hate Crysis. Crysis 1 was a fine shooter, and I thought Crysis 2 was very good as well (and hans zimmer did the OST). But Crysis 3 was garbage and the story wasn't really going anywhere.

Last gen MS lost Bungie and COD rights, so I understand they need to find a new triple AAA franchise they can associate exclusive with Xbox, but I don't think Crysis would be the answer but who knows, I though GoW was over after Ascension and they manage to revive that franchise in very unexpected way.

Crysis is kind of a relic of a bygone era. A single player FPS (I'd say linear but, obviously not entirely). They had multiplayer though right? Not sure if part 1 did.

So not sure MS would be staking any bets on it, if this even has anything to do with MS.

Today popular games tend to be very organic, massively multiplayer, microtransaction oriented, etc.

I'd love it, but that's because I'm old! Then again Doom was rebooted to some success I suppose.

From 2:18 onwards is basically a Next Gen Crysis. I'd be very happy to see a reboot of the original game with these graphics. I wasn't too impressed with either Crysis 2 or 3 gameplay wise and I thought the graphics of both were a step down from the original.
it's been a while ever since I saw you
I'm not against more shooters, I'm against more Crysis games ;). I would like to see another Bioshock for example.

Sony had to bet on a lot of FPS because they weren't able to find their Halo, and in my opinion, they only came close with KZ2 and Resistance 2. Now that they have a deal with Activision they forgot about them. The same happened with MS, they had Halo, plus exclusive COD marketing rights.

Edit: BTW, I don't hate Crysis. Crysis 1 was a fine shooter, and I thought Crysis 2 was very good as well (and hans zimmer did the OST). But Crysis 3 was garbage and the story wasn't really going anywhere.
what about Crysis Warhead? Most people talk very well about it.

I got it on GoG a few years ago but never played it for whatever reason. I enjoyed Crysis and Crysis 2, with their flaws and everything, but it's not a series I loved, maybe 'cos I started playing it on a X360 -my PC was bad at the time- and the experience wasn't the same. Still, enjoyable enough to purchase Crysis 2, which had interesting moments.

Crysis 1 supposedly coming to ps4 xb1 pc and switch??? With cryengines own raytracing solution baked in for current gen??

How will switch run this game especially with a bespoke raytracing solution?!

I wonder if we will also get crysis 2 and 3...id love to see how they run on my base ps4

I thought raytracing would be impossible on current gen but its not?? Optimization might go a long way if its possible at decent fps.. Bodes really well for next gen

I didnt think it would be hard to run crysis on modern machines once it was properly paralellized for multiple cores, but its still weird to think switch is running the game. And we are throwing in raytracing too?

Back