Evidently, Crysis is coming back [2020]

Rangers

Legend

The official Crysis twitter account had not tweeted since 2016 before that.

Also Xbox twitter and a few other gaming notables replied with winks and nods, confirming this is something real.

I used to post about this game a ton on B3D what, ten years ago? And while I never actually loved or even particularly liked any of these games as games, I STILL look at the 360 version of Crysis 3 occasionally just to see how much it pushed graphical boundaries (at like 10 FPS in the later levels to be fair). It still looks good today. Not too mention to me Crysis (1) on PC was probably THE moment when diminishing returns arrived to stay in modern 3D graphics. Proving this, It still looks pretty good today as well, and it came out in 2007!

To me they just stand for ultimate pushing of visuals in games, and then unfortunately maybe add in some eurojank...

I'm also heartened I guess by the 13k retweets and 68k likes the tweet has received so far. It wouldn't have surprised me if noone cared and it had gotten like 27 likes.

But what can it be? Some guess a Crysis remastered trilogy. Could it be a PC only shooter (highly doubt it unfortunately given the economics) or at least a new stand alone Triple A title? Could we even see it in a imminent Xbox Series X video reveal of some sort (there has been some talk of the awesome stuff MS is set to soon reveal)?

Also, good one

Last edited:
I hope MS is not putting money on a dead franchise. Especially on a shooter since they already have Halo (or what's left of it).

I'll take a Crysis 4 next gen only please. The game popped like a pot of boiling soup on PS360 so I expect PS5's SSD to fully get rid off any of that.
Would be sick if we get to see the Squid's homeworld and launch the biggest military assault on their planet.

Id love a crysis trilogy remaster collection. Played crysis 2 on 360 cause i was wowed by the graphics of the trailers but even with the design compromises the game ran like ass.

Even a current gen remaster of these games on base hardware would be worth it considering they would finally be taking into account paralellizing the game for 8 cores which is the biggest bottleneck of the og game in the modern era.

Anything but having the trilogy stuck on ps360

My dream is a truly sand box crysis game, that fully embraces physics, dynamic environments, emergent gameplay and responsive AI, including troops traversing the larger world to bring cargo, reinforcemnts or fleeing to protect key objects/personel.

The sort of gameplay MGSV and Zelda BotW went for.
Crysis has a lot of the pieces for such game pre-established, and Frostbite does have a lot of the tech ready as well.

Knowing EA, they might be targetting that in the grand vision, but might end up coming out with a more by-the-numbers Ubi-like FarCry clone, which is so ironic considering that had also been birthed by crytek.

I think Doom showed how games can be remade well. Game design is still absolutely paramount - I honestly get really exhausted watching video games merge with cinema. They had these ideas of mixing the two a long time ago, that's how we got Wing Commander 4? and Under a Killing Moon etc. It's better now than before, but aside from oo-ing and ahh-ing complexity has largely been given the back seat. This is where Doom really shines, and i wish more games were like it. There are still games whose principal format is to deliver the bulk of the experience through play, but most crutch on cutscenes and the like.

I am hopeful for a solid return of Crysis, but I have a feeling they will go the large set peices + cutscene + generally boring gameplay route (aka, COD). It's the sort of challenge you run into when you try to ground your game into tactical combat realities; where Doom is free to just do whatever it wants.

They had these ideas of mixing the two a long time ago, that's how we got Wing Commander 4?

Wing Commander III - Heart of the Tiger & shutup that was amazing! LOL :D

BTW don't remember much of Wing Commander 4 & Wing Commander Prophecy. I did buy them & play them, but WC3 was a game changer.

Tommy McClain

Let it be like the first crysis make a 3080ti or rdna2 20tf, 12core and optane system sweat.
Cant wait to see what they can pull off with the xsx ssd/bcpack and 12tf+ in a console environment also.

Wing Commander III - Heart of the Tiger & shutup that was amazing! LOL :D

BTW don't remember much of Wing Commander 4 & Wing Commander Prophecy. I did buy them & play them, but WC3 was a game changer.

Tommy McClain
haha.
I mean, that was a big thing back then. I never thought anything of it with Command and Conquer for instance, but the live action briefings never really did anything for me.

Good games, were just good games.
Crazy I forgot how wing commander did it's stuff, it's basically an empty level where you autopilot to the next zone each time to load a new area.

Tie Fighter imo, was the superior title =P
then again 3D acceleration had just arrived at that time. I recall playing it with a ATI @ Play card

Last edited:
I also hope for a remake of Crysis 1 and Warhead.

But Crysis was the kind of game where it gets as fun as you make it. I didn't really like it at first because I played it like the typical shooter. It was first when I checked on youtube how others played around that I realized all one could do in the game. Though I really think Crytek should have let you be totally overpowered to let you enjoy the game, you did die quite easily and the suit drained fast.

But the original Crysis still brings bad memories back. All those statements from Crytek about 64-bit being recommended, quad core being recommended, DX10 being recommended, yet when the game was out, it was all for naught.

Last edited:
You would pick the first & easiest level. They weren't all like that. They did get more harder & more complicated. Yes, the live action was bordering B-movie but man was it cool!! Didn't play Tie Fighter that I can remember. I think I did play X-Wing that was released before. But I had played the Wing Commander series since the beginning(bought a Sound Blaster 1.5 just for it) & it was my darling. I never considered any of the X-Wing & Tie Fighter games superior. :/ Damn I feel old. Quit that! LOL

Tommy McClain

I also hope for a remake of Crysis 1 and Warhead.

But Crysis was the kind of game where it gets as fun as you make it. I didn't really like it at first because I played it like the typical shooter. It was first when I checked on youtube how others played around that I realized all one could do in the game. Though I really think Crytek should have let you be totally overpowered to let you enjoy the game, you did die quite easily and the suit drained fast.

But the original Crysis still brings bad memories back. All those statements from Crytek about 64-bit being recommended, quad core being recommended, DX10 being recommended, yet when the game was out, it was all for naught.
fine ;) fair enough. It was a big part of the times back then. When CD media was starting to get out, we filled it with live action cutscenes.

With EA doing something with Crysis, we can be fairly sure it will neither push the boundaries of graphics nor be something the fans are looking for.
I don't think they ever stopped working on Cryengine though; so it should be pretty decent. IIRC star citizen is based on Cry engine no?

Would people like to see them push hard on hardware?
DX12U, SSD, 8C16T min spec (if it was coming out within 12 months)

Star Citizen is (currently) Amazon Lumberyard which is Cryengine-based.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CryEngine_games

While the PS360 versions of Crysis were iffy, they really did do a great job getting the most out of that hardware. They could probably do a pretty basic port to a new console and blow minds.

Methinks a new game would be best however.

Last edited:
Back