Final Fantasy VII Remake

Actually I do think these wonky visual quality in ff7r is still good enough for the general people.

But what I don't understand is why reviewers didn't point that out? Even the arstechnica.com review di not point that out IIRC.

Probably because it didnt impact the experience for them. Even those who pointed it out in reviews and even technical oriented people like DF talked about it more as a minor visual blemish than a huge issue.

Imean we're talking about a world where oblivion with its radiant AI system was a 9 to 10 out of 10 game critically, and no one mentioned the AI at the time

Now I remember that cdpr gave graphics option on witcher 3 switch. If square also did that, I'll gladly trade something for a more consistent visuals.

Oh! Maybe I should force my ps4 pro to run the game in 1080p! Maybe that will help. IIRC some games works better on pro when forced to run on 1080p thru system setting

OK just reached The Wall Market chapter, the game all of a sudden looks holy cow it's crazy beautiful again. It's a pure HDR bliss, LB you'll frickin love it on your ZD9, the high peak nits and Backlight Masterdrive totally make this chapter reference quality demo worthy! the sumptuous amount of neon lights, the reflections and the density of the city really restores my faith again in the visuals. The game probably doesn't look any better than this level or does it?

OK just reached The Wall Market chapter, the game all of a sudden looks holy cow it's crazy beautiful again. It's a pure HDR bliss, LB you'll frickin love it on your ZD9, the high peak nits and Backlight Masterdrive totally make this chapter reference quality demo worthy! the sumptuous amount of neon lights, the reflections and the density of the city really restores my faith again in the visuals. The game probably doesn't look any better than this level or does it?

Nice one. Hey if it’s just the slums that look like a PS2 game, that would be the perfect result. Maybe they had the intern work on that.

Apparently peak brightness is capped at 1000nits, but I find that weird, some of these sparks look way brighter to me, compared to other games. But what do I know. That’s definitely one of the highlights of the game for me.

I genuinely think it's an issue of not enough development resource (time, etc).

Because the game starts AWESOME, then the more I progress... The visual quality gets wonkier.

If they did a proper PC port, these wonkyness will be gone. Heck, they probabaky could release 4k texture pack too.

Even if they did a straight port, because it's an unreal game, it's probably easy to fix on PC by editing the ini.

IIRC years ago multi platform UE3 games also have steaming issues on PC. Easily fixed by forcing huge allocation on the ini. Basically brute forcing to fix the issue due to the sheer size of PC available memory.
I dont understand this. The quality of some textures and some models isnt just mediocre. It is outright bizarre even for not enough development resource. Pasting a PS1 quality texture on a UV unwrapped model with barely any polygons on major objects is something that either happens consciously or something unexpected happened technically like LODs not working/assets not streaming.

FF15 is a completely different team that had a different engine and a completely different design priority, and the team working on that had 5 years and still shipped an incomplete product because they focused their attention on getting the engine to work and making the empty open world(much of which is walled off space).

XV did not have 5 years of dev time. Tabata was called in to reboot for next-gen a canceled Versus from scratch in 2012 since it was in development hell for 6 years already. His team made a prototype vision with Nomura on the PS3 ebony engine + pre-render slices for a year to show higher-ups what type of game they want to make, it was basically a lot of guesswork since next-gen consoles weren't even out yet. Then they migrated over to Luminous in 2013 for full production, co-developed XV along with it and released it 3 years later in 2016. That's a rather short dev time given for a AAA open-world current-gen game where most of the dev's previous experiences were mobile games and the other stuck in limbo on Versus.

The shot at "empty open world" is funny too because the majority of side content in VIIR are literal copies of FFXV side-quest designs, most NPCs could even be swapped between the two without much difference. XV's world is still filled with varied wild-life and enemies roaming around, diverse environment assets, and dungeons to discover.

Blaming XV on being, in your opinion, "incomplete" partly due to them trying to "get the engine to work" is really quite a statement too. Every game developer is literally "trying to get their engine to work", even on UE4.

VII-R was in development since 2014, a full 5-6 year dev time for a very linear game on an already established engine. VII-R literally had the benefits of a first-party title and had only the Playstation platform to focus optimization on for its release, whereas XV devs needed to split their optimization efforts for both Playstation and an underpowered Xbox. XV did have different priorities as you said, open world vs. highly linear corridor maps, fully dynamic lights/shadows and weather effects which is more taxing on the hardware, the summons are on a completely different scale and were large set pieces in their own right, and it still somehow remained more consistent looking than VIIR, so yes it's baffling VIIR released with these asset issues.

I just find it strange that you give a pass and make excuses for VIIR's jarring technical problems when you were always pretty quick to crap on Luminous on other forums. The hyperbole, exaggeration, and misinformation you spewed about Luminous is worse than any of London's posts, in which case his complaints actually have substance considering the proof is found consistently throughout entire chapters and towns.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...-to-come-in-june.116098/page-57#post-20654636
They basically surpassed Advent children level models with this game....people complained about FF15's character models even in cutscenes but this...is like a generation ahead

UE4 STAY STYLIN ON LUMINOUS STUDIO

sunk cost fallacy. im guessing its not as big a dumpster fire as crystal tools, and its future proof so they can add stuff onto it...but its def not malleable or easy to use like UE4...the studio working with it also has to be the engine programmers for it...rather than teaching others how to use it

True.I guess SE are just shitty trying to make multipurpose engines work for multiple games then

Forum gamers should really just stop picking and choosing which engines to blame when a game turns out to be something they like or don't like. It's a weird way to look at game development, which is always difficult regardless of the engine used. There's a lot of pros to having your own engine, as there is with an off-self general purpose one. I'm all for having diverse engines throughout the industry.

Um...you went through all that trouble to dig up posts from years ago of me talking bad about FF15's luminous engine troubles after an entire decade of a shitshow of SE going through crystal tools's as their proprietary engine and all the disasters that entailed developmentwise for SE as a whole...? Did you just start following SE's game development this decade?

And your trying to act like that's at odds with what i'm saying now? If unreal engine 4 is new to business division 1 (which you ignored CC2 working on this game until SE brought it in house), of course i'm going to give them a pass on a game i like and think is good right now ( despite some engine growing pains) as a complete product.

This is in comparison to a game in 15 i thought had clear troubles in multiple areas for years during development and actually launched in that state proving me right.

They spent so long on the engine and now only one team ends up using it, after years of trying to force a company wide engine standard like EA and their frostbite nonsense(which ended up falling out of favor as well).

I didnt shit on FF15 because i didnt think luminous was a good engine. I criticized it because i thought the development of that game was a mess, and the development of the engine was a big part of that.

*EDIT*

In addition to that, the whole point of why i criticized FF15's sidequests was because of the expectation of an open world having something more to do in it than something as rudimentary as fetch quests in a world with witcher 3 existing.

FF7's questing structure isnt novel and i would never say that it is, but its also clearly there merely give some space for the main story content, not just to exist because they have to justify the time spent on the huge area they created like in 15(which in my opinion they absolutely still didnt manage to do)

I dont want this to come across as a FF15 hate fest, but your comparisons are bringing me into it.

Last edited:
Not sure what the drama is, and what the point of digging up posts from many years ago is, that’s irrelevant to this discussion.

Back to FF7, I don’t really know how the engine has anything to do with it.

The very specific problems that we’ve been talking about have little to do with coming to terms with an engine and more to do with content creation, which is a lot more worrying. After all, this is certainly not the first time that SE have used UE4, with much better results too.

Wouldn't not declaring that be cheating? :???:

Most of the official media (videos, pictures, trailers) for videogames comes from a press pack supplied by the publisher.
as reasonable as your theory sounds, there are other theories, some PS fans are saying that PC stands for Playstation Console

Not sure what the drama is, and what the point of digging up posts from many years ago is, that’s irrelevant to this discussion.

Back to FF7, I don’t really know how the engine has anything to do with it.

The very specific problems that we’ve been talking about have little to do with coming to terms with an engine and more to do with content creation, which is a lot more worrying. After all, this is certainly not the first time that SE have used UE4, with much better results too.

"SE" isnt just one dev studio though. Its tons of studios under one company, of which they dont share experience when focusing on their own specific ends. KH3 was worked on since 2013 by Osaka team which has nothing to do with business division one, which is the team responsible for FF7R. They are going to come up against their own challenges, especially due to their own unique pipelines for their games. Its also true that CC2's development experience of FF7R for the first few years doesnt translate to what business division one had to learn in house on the fly.

And the texture streaming issues as well as texture loading issue that Digital foundry mentioned absolutely has to do with something engine sid..as the places that are affected are completely inconsistent across the game. There is absolutely zero reason to believe that some of these assets are just created in a vacuum like that from SE and put in the game. They have those full assets somewhere

Last edited:
as the places that are affected are completely inconsistent across the game.

They are consistent in these:

- doors
- ground/wall/rocks (when there's tons of objects sticking to it)

Btw the horrible obviously flat 2d and low res groundbox seems deliberate, it doesn't look like something buggy. But look like a deliberate design choice.

jump to 1 hours 37 minutes (spoilers, obv)

is there should be something on Aerith's hair? or she;s really just showing off her ribbon after talking about materia and saying she also had one? hence cloud's comment

as reasonable as your theory sounds, there are other theories, some PS fans are saying that PC stands for Playstation Console
Google failed to find any. Maybe you dreamt it?

You Z9D owners were excited about a fake HDR game all along?
Er isn't it just for the pre rendered FMV tho? As for the rest Z9D retains full intensity of 1000 nits in realtime cutscene and gameplay, I know the game is capped at 1000 nits but there also could be a chance the Z9D retains 1800 nits of its peak brightness too but we can't find out due to Evil Boris only tested it on a 800 Nits Oled.
Either way the game looks so much punchier, brighter, contrasty in HDR mode, I would hardly call it a fake HDR like RDR2 is.

Back