PS3 Revisiting thread [2020]

I think u r right. I ptobably forgot that I blindly pressed agree on the new tos and I set as primary again. I can't remember

Glad u God your account back

Resistance was my first console first person shooter. It look me a while to get over my anti-controller bias and just work with the controller rather than feel like I was fighting against it. I've preferred controllers for FPS games (even on PC) ever since. I don't care that precisions clicking with a mouse is better, I much prefer the more fluid movement. Absolutely precise control about how quickly I can turn or how fast or slow I can move. Once that hit me, there was no going back to KB+M for me.
I enjoy couch gamepad PC gaming but KB + Mouse is most of what I do if I'm at a desktop. I think the only downside I see to mouse + KB is the lack of fully proportional movement speed control.

How did you not play a console shooter until Resistance? Were you not a shooter guy before that or were you not much of a console player?

I think console shooters became pretty solid at Dreamcast onward and that's mostly because the frame rate hit high enough numbers at that point for a decent experience. There are some great games on older consoles, but with some of the popular N64 games for example you can see 10-15 fps and even some extra input lag because they didn't know better at the time I suppose.

Last edited:
How did you not play a console shooter until Resistance? Were you not a shooter guy before that or were you not much of a console player?

I played first person shooters on PC then switched the majority of my gaming to console after the PlayStation launched. I was just enjoying different types of gamers - Wipeout, Tomb Raider, Crash etc plus sofa/beanbag and big TV is just so comfortable. The PC (then Mac) quickly became the platform dedicated for grand strategy games and sims. I can't remember a good FPS on PlayStation or PS2 that appealed to me, I probably overlooked a bunch. I still had a big bias against controllers for FPS though but the Resistance demo won me over. Ever since though.. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Far Cry - it's been controller controls every time regardless of platform.

Horses for courses..

It's curious that I have no particular interest in any particular game form PS3. Unlike other, older games that haven't really been revisited, everything PS3 ish is on PS4 but bigger and better. A few stick-out titles like From Dust haven't had successors but weren't really finished either.

It was a generation of enjoyable, forgettable experiences, it seems.

It's curious that I have no particular interest in any particular game form PS3. Unlike other, older games that haven't really been revisited, everything PS3 ish is on PS4 but bigger and better. A few stick-out titles like From Dust haven't had successors but weren't really finished either.

Won't that be true next gen as well? The lack of new ideas in gaming and just building on last gen ideas is worrying, at least Sony do try new ideas - Motorstorm and Littlebigplanet come to mind...Uncharted was new on PS3, just because it's been 'bettered' on the next gen shouldn't be seen as a negative against PS3 surely? A PS3 game I really enjoyed which was a one-off was The Last Guy.

Uncharted was new on PS3, just because it's been 'bettered' on the next gen shouldn't be seen as a negative against PS3 surely?
It's not a negative. It's just saying that if you missed PS3, IMO, you don't need to grab one to catch up on essential experiences*. Get a PS4 and you'll have remakes of the major experiences. That contrasts with PS1 and PS2 that had games without comparable sequels or ports. Going forwards, if you've never owned a PS4, grab a PS5 and get all the experiences there in better quality.

* If Motorstorm or RFoM were must have titles for you, then you'd have a different view to me. ;)

It wasn't initially apparent that PS3 games were going to be moved to PS4 but yeah that is clearly what has happened and I'm sure it will continue to increase in popularity.

There are still a number of PS3 exclusives that haven't been "tapped" for more monehs. Killzone and Resistance come to mind. I'm surprised the Crysis series wasn't re-released.

Last edited:
Still playing this game on my beloved PS3!

1920x1080p @ 60fps (looks really great on a 4K TV).

Hopefully PS5 gets PS3 emulation eventually. This game and Ridge Racer 7 is then going to be the ones that gets booted up regulary...

/ Ken

Still playing this game on my beloved PS3!

1920x1080p @ 60fps (looks really great on a 4K TV).

Hopefully PS5 gets PS3 emulation eventually. This game and Ridge Racer 7 is then going to be the ones that gets booted up regulary...

/ Ken
It is visually very appealing to this day. It is very "clean" and readable artistically and communicates it's Tekken identity. It had a proper balance of realism and extraordinary action. After 4 the art was going all over the place.
I am not very satisfied with how the franchise is turning out now. Even though I enjoy the depth of the gameplay

From Dust is that the ‘prequel’ to the just released paper beast? And yeah the PS4 has many remasters and rereleases and they were sometimes also free if you already had the PS3 game license, something that seems to have been forgotten by some witnessing another thread ;).

I still miss a handful of things like move fitness, sports champions, motorstorm pacific rift, Rocksmith, and rockband stopped supporting keyboards and keyboard controllers after the PS3 release, so it’s still the best for parties.

I am sure there is more, but yes cross generation support was much better and will only improve next gen.

Infamous 1, 2, 2.5 and Demon's souls are still a good reason to plug a PS3. Also the God of war collections (PS2 and PSP games) are also worth revisiting.

How about just the occasional return to previous game tech because it's interesting. Combine it with a little reading of historical hype and speculative nonsense and you just have a great evening. lol

Last edited:
Journey on ps3 was awesome looking. There's also flower with its zen feeling using sixaxis.

I think u r right. I ptobably forgot that I blindly pressed agree on the new tos and I set as primary again. I can't remember

Glad u God your account back

Turns out even with TOS change, my ps4 pro still set as primary.

It's been a long time since I logged in to PSN for my Indonesia account, a few days ago I login and it asks for my agreement on new PSN tos.

All this time ps4 still primary.

Games that defined my PS3 experience at the back of my head were

Motorstorm
GoW3
TLOU
Resistance 3
Killzone 2 and 3
Wipeout
MGS4
Tekken Tag Tournament HD (nostalgia, superb gameplay combined with magnificent HD visuals won me over)

I think there should be some smaller games that deserve more praise like the Puppeteer, Echochrome and the Unfinished Swan

I also have Ni No Kuni but I havent played it at all

Ni no kuni is heartwarming and boring.

Btw metal gear revenge also on ps3? IIRC I played that on Xbox and it was awesome despite its graphics, although to be fair that is not new for platinum games. Their games usually have awesome style but accompanied with aging visual, including Astral chain on switch.

Ni no kuni is heartwarming and boring.

Btw metal gear revenge also on ps3? IIRC I played that on Xbox and it was awesome despite its graphics, although to be fair that is not new for platinum games. Their games usually have awesome style but accompanied with aging visual, including Astral chain on switch.
I loved Metal Gear Rising's style and gameplay. Not an exclusive but the gameplay was top notch.
I didnt like the story at all though.

Back