Final Fantasy VII Remake

Seems like ffxv. Good first half then it goes downhill. The experience become a mix of polished and unpolished.

That describes a lot of current generation games. The game starts out well funded with a roadmap laid out.

So it gets a lot of attention to detail and polish for the first 2-3 years. Then the reality of development costs on current generation consoles kicks in and developers suddenly realize that their funds are lower than what is needed to properly finish the game and in addition to that, the deadline for finishing their game is getting uncomfortably close.

End result is that more often than not, current generation games start out really well and then have a barebones finish as they attempt to wrap things up before running out of time and money.

Square Enix flirted with going into bankruptcy due to development costs this generation. Luckily for them FFXIV was there to save the company. So, now they are trying to decrease the scope of their games to an extent (episodic content) in order to keep development costs in check.

I expect the situation to get worse with the next generation of games for most 3rd party developers unless they exercise some restraint. Unfortunately that might also lead to them not having a large graphical leap over the current generation.

Regards,
SB

I expect the situation to get worse with the next generation of games for most 3rd party developers unless they exercise some restraint. Unfortunately that might also lead to them not having a large graphical leap over the current generation.

SB
Forget a leap, this is a leap BACKWARDS. It’s inexplicable to me.

Maybe the next ff or something from SQEX will use the amazing features of next gen console but instead of accompanying it with stuff that needs crazy amounts of manual works, they will do the cheap ones?

Like using Ray tracing but with cartoony graphics ala final Fantasy chibi thingy (forgot the title, the one where you can swap between chibi and normal). Or heck, with crazy ssd on ps5, maybe there will be games where the devs simply plopped a 3d scan of real world into the game. So it only need clean ups and few manual work for animation, collision, etc. I've tried it myself and it's super easy (and bloody fast) to make photo realistic environment with static time of day.

Btw your explanation makes me wonder, maybe ff7 remake originally was planned to be one huge game. But reality catch up...

Really disappointed with the inconsistencies. This is based on what I ve heard because I havent actually played the full game yet of course.

In the past I said how much Square Enix Final Fantasy games were inconsistent with their quality and that they seemed to be a mix of current gen and old gen elements. FF15 was infested with it. Square Enix work is sitting between old and new generations unable to update fully with the high production values and results of other AAA games. People in the forum assured that this was the result most likely from a product that started on PS3 (FF15) and that the FF7 Demo showed otherwise.
I played the FF7 Demo and was utterly excited with its near-perfect presentation and polished work. I had the same feelings and anticipation I havent felt for around two decades. I was the excited young gamer in the 90s again.
Yet again, FF7 Remake suffers from similar issues and maybe more jarring inconsistencies.

Apart from doors and some pop-in, I didn't notice much wrong with it to be honest. I was more entertained by the excellent battle system and the changes in the story to care about the graphics.

Forget a leap, this is a leap BACKWARDS. It’s inexplicable to me.
What inexplicable to me is the fans and reviewers that mention nothing about that. Some do, but relatively few. But ff xv got criticized to no end. I mean the visual issues. For the story incompleteness, ff xv deserves all the criticism

Apart from doors and some pop-in, I didn't notice much wrong with it to be honest. I was more entertained by the excellent battle system and the changes in the story to care about the graphics.

Yeah the gameplay feels really good. The story also makes me can't stop playing hahaha

Btw no one else have issue with the flowerbed cutscene? Nothing weird when the flower girl says she also have something (materia?) and the camera pan to her hair?

But theres nothing other than her hair and a ribbon. I assume there was supposed to be something but the game didn't load it in time.

Really disappointed with the inconsistencies. This is based on what I ve heard because I havent actually played the full game yet of course.

In the past I said how much Square Enix Final Fantasy games were inconsistent with their quality and that they seemed to be a mix of current gen and old gen elements. FF15 was infested with it. Square Enix work is sitting between old and new generations unable to update fully with the high production values and results of other AAA games. People in the forum assured that this was the result most likely from a product that started on PS3 (FF15) and that the FF7 Demo showed otherwise.
I played the FF7 Demo and was utterly excited with its near-perfect presentation and polished work. I had the same feelings and anticipation I havent felt for around two decades. I was the excited young gamer in the 90s again.
Yet again, FF7 Remake suffers from similar issues and maybe more jarring inconsistencies.

The very first section of the game, upon which the game is based, is very well presented.
The “Slum area” is a humongous mess. So messy in fact that pretty much everyone has stated that it must be “a bug” because they can’t believe that this is what they’re seeing. But this is it.

The only thing that might save it is if somehow a nice layer of detailed normal maps is failing to load for whatever reason, and perhaps this can be fixed. Because the ‘base textures’ are what we are seeing here.

But again, this is very likely just wishful thinking.

The very first section of the game, upon which the game is based, is very well presented.
The “Slum area” is a humongous mess. So messy in fact that pretty much everyone has stated that it must be “a bug” because they can’t believe that this is what they’re seeing. But this is it.

The only thing that might save it is if somehow a nice layer of detailed normal maps is failing to load for whatever reason, and perhaps this can be fixed. Because the ‘base textures’ are what we are seeing here.

But again, this is very likely just wishful thinking.

But the main offender is the door. It's one low res door texture reused again and again. Surely it won't take even 1MB of memory... Or repeating same texture takes huge amounts of memory?

But the main offender is the door. It's one low res door texture reused again and again. Surely it won't take even 1MB of memory... Or repeating same texture takes huge amounts of memory?

Yep. Inexplicable. This is not a ‘not enough memory’ issue.

And we’re not even talking about the lowest polygon counts in the environments that I’ve seen this side of 2005.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just this big area, and I can’t post screenshots on here for some reason but you know exactly what I’m talking about.

It’s so bad I can’t focus on an otherwise ok game. Bit boring.

Yep. Inexplicable. This is not a ‘not enough memory’ issue.

And we’re not even talking about the lowest polygon counts in the environments that I’ve seen this side of 2005.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just this big area, and I can’t post screenshots on here for some reason but you know exactly what I’m talking about.

It’s so bad I can’t focus on an otherwise ok game. Bit boring.
That's why people thinks it's a bug, I think.

It's too ugly to be deliberate that yes that is the final result they want. T

What inexplicable to me is the fans and reviewers that mention nothing about that. Some do, but relatively few. But ff xv got criticized to no end. I mean the visual issues. For the story incompleteness, ff xv deserves all the criticism

Probably because the game is more fun to play than FFXV.

I know that there’s much better things to worry about, but it really, really is spoiling my experience.

The game is one corridor after the next, with very little extra detail in the form of objects scattered around and it quite literally feels like this Remake was started as a PS2-PS3 game which has now been copy and pasted here. They obviously upgraded the characters and some other things but a huge part of the environment is from a 15 year old generation.

I also thought maybe it was a PS4 not being able to keep up issue but I’m sorry, we have seen launch games which had environments with hundreds of times more detail, and more open at the same time too!

We’ve even seen UE4 games with much bigger and more open environments and much, much better detail in them.

Heck, FFXV looked much better consistently, in a fully open world, than this corridor walking simulator.

I’m really mad.
Yeah I feel your pain, the game visuals are very inconsistent, it ranges from Holy shit this is looking better than Advent Children to WTF are these PS2 assets :LOL:. Man haven't played a game this inconsistent for ages, it does feel like SE ran out of time or budget to rework some of those assets and just called it a day at times, you're right tho, a linear game such as this shouldn't suffer low res textures and it's crazy to fathom how they used the latest UE4 and let this shit slip. I'm expecting a Limit Breaker Mega patch that uses 100MP to fix this asap or SE better bow down to us fans and apologize for a good 30min straight.

I know that there’s much better things to worry about, but it really, really is spoiling my experience.

The game is one corridor after the next, with very little extra detail in the form of objects scattered around and it quite literally feels like this Remake was started as a PS2-PS3 game which has now been copy and pasted here. They obviously upgraded the characters and some other things but a huge part of the environment is from a 15 year old generation.

I also thought maybe it was a PS4 not being able to keep up issue but I’m sorry, we have seen launch games which had environments with hundreds of times more detail, and more open at the same time too!

We’ve even seen UE4 games with much bigger and more open environments and much, much better detail in them.

Heck, FFXV looked much better consistently, in a fully open world, than this corridor walking simulator.

I’m really mad.

VIIR was in development since 2014 with no engine switches, so it can't have been a time/budget problem when FFXV is still much more consistent after being completely rebooted in 2013 and released 3 years later as an open world. It's not just the textures but even some environment object geometry in the small corridors are really low LOD, it's baffling. With occlusion culling the game shouldn't even be rendering much else.

viir
finalfantasyviiremakewyjhf.png

xv
7cafinalfantasyxv20202wkah.png

viir
ffviirtex3grkjq.png

xv
eb4finalfantasyxv2020wmk8t.png

Really curious what's going on.
EVQJlE7XgAcf21e.jpg:orig

Last edited:
It clearly looks like there is a bug with the textures,I hope they fix it soon.

It clearly looks like there is a bug with the textures,I hope they fix it soon.

That doesn’t really explain the pipes made of literally three polygons. Wheels that are hexagons. It’s an LOD issue or it is simply a travesty.

I know I’m whinging, but I obviously have nothing else to do at home and it’s been a while, and I’m sorry but this is just absolutely baffling and unacceptable!

FF7 has been one of the most popular, recognised games in history, this remake has everything going for it and we get this? While open world games from much smaller teams, much lower budgets and much lower expectations manage to have environments that don’t look like they’re from 2002? Come on.

Last edited:
Conspiracy theory: sony will bring PSN and it's store to PC, starting with ff7 remake, horizon zero dawn.

I know you were probably joking, but that screen is from a cutscene, so doesn’t really count, and the fact remains some parts of the game (at the beginning at least) have beautiful normals and textures, until it goes downhill.

I’m sorry to say but if the content created is this, then this is what you’ll get on a PC port, which will be even more shocking.

Back