Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

And how much more performance would 4 CU give when you are running variable frequency based on power draw? Something less than 11%.
Under saturation. Probably more. Reduction in clocks to spread around power means sign doing more ops per cycle. 4 CU is 10% more CUs. If the clock rate doesn’t dip proportionally to feed the extra 4 CUs, it should do more work. Than holding that slightly higher clock rate.

Anyway, the correct position to take is that PS5 has it until proven otherwise as opposed to it doesn’t have it until proven otherwise.

I can’t imagine it not having it; but Sony hasn’t been great at communicating anything and everyone else could just be waiting on them before saying anything.

case in point cyber2077.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-wont-release-for-ps5xbox-series-x-w/1100-6475884/
Nowakowski also reiterated that Sony hasn't said whether PS5 will support enhanced PS4 games (like Microsoft already has for Xbox Series X and Xbox One) so there's no official word for whether PS5 will be able to play an enhanced PS4 version of Cyberpunk 2077. CD Projekt Red has already confirmed that an update for Cyberpunk 2077 will allow Xbox One users to upgrade to an Xbox Series X enhanced version for free, but the same can't be said for PS4 and PS5 (for now).
There's obviously no reason why a hypothetical release of a PS4 game couldn't be updated to run as a native PS5 game, but Sony has been pretty insistent that the PS5 is a new generation, and that want more of a clean line between PS4 and PS5 than Microsoft with One/Series. I could see Sony implementing a policy where if you release a game on PS4 the best it will run via backwards compatibility would be equal to PS4 Pro.

There's obviously no reason why a hypothetical release of a PS4 game couldn't be updated to run as a native PS5 game, but Sony has been pretty insistent that the PS5 is a new generation, and that want more of a clean line between PS4 and PS5 than Microsoft with One/Series. I could see Sony implementing a policy where if you release a game on PS4 the best it will run via backwards compatibility would be equal to PS4 Pro.

The Xbox version will not be the same for One(X) and Series X. They're just making it so if you buy it on One(X) you get the Series X version for free. It's not related to backwards compatibility.

And how much more performance would 4 CU give when you are running variable frequency based on power draw? Something less than 11%.
At this point, even 11% would be good to take. It is more a question of appearances rather than competing in terms of pure power.... because we don’t really know how much the delta in Tflop really means for games.... (although I am sure that developpers would not spit on 4 more CU.)
Don’t take it wrong it was a purely hypothetical question. Sony would certainly not gamble so close to release unless they change their calculations due to the current circumstances.
It is only because of the exceptional situation that I suggested this. In normal time, such gamble would cause a crazy shortage of consoles at lauch.

It is obviously too late to change the soc for Sony, but with the very negative coverage of the reveal...
.I wonder if, with the depressed market and likely lower than normal demand this holiday... if Sony could try to make another spin to try to improve yields and get a higher count of CU. Their SOC has probably something like 40 CU and 4 disabled? Could they gamble and try to get a 40 CU SOC without killing their BOM?
Even if they get a relatively low number of consoles, I doubt the market has the same demand as a normal holiday season... would it be a viable option?
Irrespective of any untapped yield-related redundancy, SONY designed and meticulously balanced their SoC with the premise of 36 active CUs in mind. It's safe to assume that any design choices (and silicon-level design choices in particular) are a result of sophisticated research, simulations and preliminary studies/testing. No well-run company that takes any pride in the soundness of their R&D would throw that out of the window just to pull some ultimately questionable marketing stunt.

If anything, SONY's recent behaviour in regard to marketing (and indeed any marketing related decision they took since skipping E3 2019) should tell you that they are indeed VERY confident in their product as well as their overall strategy. SONY is a company that pretty much founded their PlayStation brand on the basis of a history of cutting-edge consumer electronic innovation combined with the marketing and promotion prowess accumulated in decades of successful work in the music business. If a company of such pedigree gets the backlash they got and is still not showing any sign of going into damage control mode (let alone panicking), isn't that more likely to be a sign of confidence than incompetence?

In regards to Xbox.
Whilst you have a game that is for XO and for xsx, there is zero reason to make two separate games.
It will be the same game but developed to take advantage of the xsx also or patched.
Just like the 1X.

Without a patch it runs in BC mode, with a patch it will have access to xsx features like RT and also show up in the xsx library.

My guess ps5 will be the same, the only question is if they'll charge for the ps5 patch or if you've got the PS4 you get it for free.
It would be pretty hard for them to charge now after ms stance, but not impossible.

Also nothing stopping a studio charging for the patch on Xbox, it's just that MS isn't going to at a store level or as a studio.

The Xbox version will not be the same for One(X) and Series X. They're just making it so if you buy it on One(X) you get the Series X version for free. It's not related to backwards compatibility.
Yeah, what I'm saying is that there isn't anything that would stop Sony from following suit, unless they simply didn't want to do it. It wouldn't be out of character for Sony to simply have the PS4 version of a game run as a PS4 game on PS5 simply because they prefer the generations to be separated.

In regards to Xbox.
Whilst you have a game that is for XO and for xsx, there is zero reason to make two separate games.
It will be the same game but developed to take advantage of the xsx also or patched.
Just like the 1X.

Without a patch it runs in BC mode, with a patch it will have access to xsx features like RT and also show up in the xsx library.

My guess ps5 will be the same, the only question is if they'll charge for the ps5 patch or if you've got the PS4 you get it for free.
It would be pretty hard for them to charge now after ms stance, but not impossible.

Also nothing stopping a studio charging for the patch on Xbox, it's just that MS isn't going to at a store level or as a studio.
When Series X is released, and games are made for Xbox, if they are compatible with One and Series X, they can conceivably ship on the same disc, so a patch might not be needed (although I'm sure every game will have a day 1 patch anyway). This is the "smart delivery" that MS keeps talking about. Basically an installer that identifies your hardware and installs the files needed for your system, and it should solve the issue that some One X games have where you install a game and then install a 4K texture pack and you have redundant data installed on your system because the original textures aren't being used.

I'm not sure Sony has a solution like this, or if even PSN servers would allow a patch for one system (like PS4) and not another (PS5). PS4 had some strange limitations like a single bluray can only contain a singe game. And I know that sounds like a ridiculous thing that should never affect anything anyway, but it might affect having 2 different code paths/installers on a single disc.

The PS4 has many remasters and rereleases and they were sometimes also free if you already had the PS3 game license. So they can do at least that, but who knows if they’ve improved things there further. With PS4 and PS4 Pro titles working as they do I’m sure a game will be able to also support PS5 much in the same way.

Faster memory chips resulting in more bandwidth might make more sense rather than increased CU count. Although what impact would that have on thermal budget?

The specs ain't changing the only way that can change in a short period is clock speeds and I doubt very much that Sony is going to up there clock speeds even more.

My thirst for any news from actual developers is real, I've been stuck in lockdown now for three weeks and it's been extended by another two.
I'm bored out of my mind and busy burying my head in the sand regarding real life matters so I can really use the bloody distraction.

When Series X is released, and games are made for Xbox, if they are compatible with One and Series X, they can conceivably ship on the same disc, so a patch might not be needed (although I'm sure every game will have a day 1 patch anyway)
When I said it would be developed to also take advantage of xsx or patched, that's what I meant.
It would be the same binary if the game was made to also take advantage of xsx, no patching needed.
You only need a patch if the game releases prior to xsx features being applied.

Is this a new Sony Interactive Entertainment channel? If so it should be posted in the PS5 thread, but I just did not feel sure. The video is like a PS5 commercial.

Is this a new Sony Interactive Entertainment channel?
No, it's a fake channel. Sony would have announced a new channel, and definitely a product reveal! All Sony's PS content will be on their PlayStation channel.

Also, that'd be a really crap reveal trailer! A load of PS4 titles and some ugly, poorly cut, badly chosen call-outs like 'HDR'.

Last edited:
Is this a new Sony Interactive Entertainment channel? If so it should be posted in the PS5 thread, but I just did not feel sure. The video is like a PS5 commercial.

Yeah, that's an odd one, YT channel seems only a month old, has mostly PS4 footage, but has some soothing music videos and only 28 subscribers.

I
Looks fake, a fan made.

Btw isn't official trailers usually have no copyright claim under their video description?

Yep. Official channel won't have copyright claim

It is obviously too late to change the soc for Sony, but with the very negative coverage of the reveal...
.I wonder if, with the depressed market and likely lower than normal demand this holiday... if Sony could try to make another spin to try to improve yields and get a higher count of CU. Their SOC has probably something like 40 CU and 4 disabled? Could they gamble and try to get a 40 CU SOC without killing their BOM?
Even if they get a relatively low number of consoles, I doubt the market has the same demand as a normal holiday season... would it be a viable option?
Ps5 will be fine. Outside the forum and Twitter console war zones, the concern and negativity aren't isn't really present.

Back