Sony releasing DS4 addon for two back-side buttons

I think the point is more Sony underestimated demand, although it may be that demand has jumped with lots of people having lots of time to play shooters.

Could be. I think something like this is be difficult to predict demand for, similar to the PS4 Eye cameras which was hard to get after launch if you foolishly chose a PS4 launch bundle where the camera was effectively free, and the Move controllers. You also definitely don't want to make too many.

Alcohol has been banned hear. Thank God we can still get coffee at the supermarket otherwise, fxxk me I can't even contemplate what I would do.:runaway:

Off-licences are considered essentials in the UK. ;)

My local off-licence is still open and they told me they intend to remain open until their stock dries up. I notice that Waitrose's wine section is better stocked than some of their food isles! I'm doing the shopping thing until I can't. That's what they're telling us Londons. Shop if you can, let older and vulnerable people use the delivery slots. Our local supermarkets, a Tesco and Waitrose, have adapted well and now they're capping how many individual items you can buy and the total amount, empty shelves are a less common sight.

But it's a tricky balancing act. I'd rather do one big shop every two weeks but that's not feasible with the current buying limits. Less going out = less risk.

The Madmen gone and did it. They added a screen to the ps4 controller.
to the BACK of it.
Greatest revolutions since the invention of the d-pad
Yeah seems a bit dumb, from looking at screenshots, they could of put a smaller screen on the top, that would of conveyed the same info

I have still completely missed the point of this thing and what it is used for. Very unlike me but I still haven’t a clue!

It adds a couple more easy access buttons that are customisable. It's mainly for competitive multiplayer. eg. Something like Apex Legends, you have movement on left stick, aim on right stick, jump on a face button (X). You can't move and turn and jump at the same time as you need to take your thumb off the right stick to press the jump button. Mapping that to the paddle means you can do more.

I have still completely missed the point of this thing and what it is used for. Very unlike me but I still haven’t a clue!
Ditto. I don't think I need this in my life. :nope:

You don't play competitive shooters, do you? ;) I think Sony low-balled it because they thought it was a premium gamer thing like these, but I think a large proportion of the console Fortniters and Apexers and CODders will value this as long as its priced right. I think £20 it'll sell mainstream, but £40 may be more profitable, giving lower-budget gamers a more equal footing with their big-spender rivals.

You don't play competitive shooters, do you? ;)

Almost zero multiplayer at all. I've missed the point of a lot of products until I've experienced them. I wrote off VR until I got to use it. As a BlackBerry owner dismissed the iPhone until I got an iPod touch and realised how good touchscreen input could be. I dismissed AirPods as nonsense until the advantages of no wires for a runner become apparent.

But I don't feel any barriers between my and my Nintendo, Microsoft of Sony controllers.

I have still completely missed the point of this thing and what it is used for.

Get Gud!

It provides easier way of combining certain actions in games that otherwise might be more difficult, easiest example is with the Right-Hand Thumb. Normally you can only use it to move the direction stick or hit the buttons but not both at the same time. With this or the Elite controllers, your thumb remains on the right-side stick while using other fingers to hit buttons mapped to the bottom buttons.

Not moving the right thumb and having a finger on each button can be a small advantage in reflex-based shooters I guess. I see people talking about playing shooters with the cable connected, not because they notice any wireless latency, but because they think they might gain an advantage.

It's escalation. Once some are allowed to buy hardware giving a competitive advantage, everyone needs to have it to level the playfield. Same reason some people buy gaming monitors and calibrate them to completely destroys the contrast to allow seeing shadow areas as bright as daylight, and also 165Hz monitors on PC, and crazy expensive GPUs, it has nothing to do with the game visuals.

Real sports have regulated equipment, competitions in gaming venues do too, but with online gaming there's no control over this beyond detecting a blatant cheating software. So these products are adding up together as a tiny competitive advantage between the have and have nots.

I don't care because I don't play any game online that requires that sort of thing.

Real sports have regulated equipment...
Though I agree 'pay to advantage' is a negative encroaching on the console space, the huge market for sports equipment shows you're wrong about that being regulated. There are different golf clubs to hit further, shoes to run faster (to the point they've now had to actually bring in control and ban them from pro sports), racquets to hit with more control, climbing shoes to grip better, etc. It's part and parcel of life being inherently unfair and one just having to compete in that space.

Hell, remember controllers in the old days with a selector switch to enable auto-fire? :)

Or Doom? Oh those poor people playing with a joystick running into the first people using KB/M at primative LAN parties. It was a slaughter.

Regards,
SB

The new mid gen consoles even irritate me, knowing someones got 4k and probably a better frame rate than me.

It's one of the reasons I don't play multi much on PC other than the hackers. Funnily enough it's kind of reverse on PC in that I refuse to use low graphics :runaway:

Back