Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

And the thing is, there's nothing medicine can do as far as we know. They can only help support the body as it fights the virus, but it's the body on its own. Maybe part of the issue here is he kept trying to be Prime Minister instead of retreating to bed and focussing 100% on fighting the virus? One has to stop it penetrating too far into the lungs. Taking it super easy may help with that.

And the thing is, there's nothing medicine can do as far as we know. They can only help support the body as it fights the virus, but it's the body on its own. Maybe part of the issue here is he kept trying to be Prime Minister instead of retreating to bed and focussing 100% on fighting the virus? One has to stop it penetrating too far into the lungs. Taking it super easy may help with that.
I’m not sure if anything would have changed. As I understand it; in these conditions; the virus is destroying healthy lung cells causing fluid to build up. Your white blood cells go into overdrive and try to kill the virus, sometimes also destroying healthy cells. And very quickly you have all sorts of fluid and pus and in your lungs and your basically drowning in your own fluids.

I think they is my understanding; but they can also drain fluid from the lungs. So I’m not sure what happens if you attempt this. Far from my expertise. But I had to witness this type of event. It still haunts me. And I still sorely miss my cousin.

Trump is everywhere 'cos imho it is like a dictatorship. I mean, he was democratically elected but he can do everything afterwards.

I live in northwestern Spain, and in the country there are a ton of political parties. That might sound bad, but it is good! To create a government 7-8 parties had to agree, and they did. It's tough to take decisions like that but it's for the best.

Compared to my region where one party got the absolute majority of votes, we are in a "dictatorship" in my region. That party can do everything they want. That irates me a lot. :mad: It doesnt hepl that I hate them

Imo, the next evolution for the USA is to allow left -extreme left, moderate left, center left (like say the German/Dutch greens) etc etc- and right -same as before- parties. New blood, young blood, newcomers. The country would be a better country that way, imo.

The current system is flawed imo. 'Cos like with healthcare only rich people are governing? Wish it was Bill Gates or his wife, :smile2: man I could accept that. But no, there is another candidate in the USA for the next election who is rich -Rockefeller or so-. There is a pattern here. :/

Power in usa is divided in such a way that president doesn't have absolute power. It might seem like trump has a lot of power because he makes a lot of noise but reality is different. He has trouble even building his wall.

agree on that. There is also the implications of people around you at work having a chance to get infected. In fact, the infected should be more careful than the healthy people. Quite a few politicians were infected here, but they retired from work after the diagnosis. For instance, this woman, Irene Montero, who turns out that is pregnant too. When she knew she was infected she retired and she is doing fine, albeit she tested for positive 15 days later, and she hadn't cured it, so she is waiting for the new test.

D1jDuE1sZwO3tPWJPbZdZ5.jpg

Hydroxychloroquine is so not the panacea he thinks it is! Has awful side-effects and there is no evidence to support it fights this at all.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, but my wife is a pharmacist with arthritis problems who once researched the drug for her own use and rejected the idea since the cost/benefit analysis was awful and my sister is a nurse practitioner who also told me it was a stupid and dangerous thing he's doing pushing a dangerous drug as if it's a miracle cure. Oh, and all the actual doctors on TV who explained it to me too.

Also I wish Boris Johnson the best and a speedy recover. I don't wish death on anyone anymore, last time I did it worked. :|

I’m not sure if anything would have changed. As I understand it; in these conditions; the virus is destroying healthy lung cells causing fluid to build up. Your white blood cells go into overdrive and try to kill the virus, sometimes also destroying healthy cells. And very quickly you have all sorts of fluid and pus and in your lungs and your basically drowning in your own fluids.

I think they is my understanding; but they can also drain fluid from the lungs. So I’m not sure what happens if you attempt this. Far from my expertise. But I had to witness this type of event. It still haunts me. And I still sorely miss my cousin.

Lasix (Furosemide) is a drug they use to drain fluid from the lungs. I am unsure if they are using this to treat Covid-19, but it's a common treatment for people who have heart valve problems which causes fluid to build up in the lungs.

I think the problem isn’t the fluid - that can be dealt with - but a kind of blisters that form that prevent the lungs from being able to ingest oxygen. When that happens the lungs need to be expanded significantly by a respirator so the lungs stretch out so that you get some space around those blisters that can still take up oxygen. Presumably if you have a lot of belly fat it is difficult for your lungs to stretch more which makes people who are overweight particularly around that area more vulnerable.

This is apparently very painful, and the reason that most people are made unconscious during the treatment. And people stay in the ICU 23 days on average, which is incredibly long. So yeah fortunately most people don’t get this but when they do it’s pretty horrible.

That it takes so long is also the reason that people here are worried that anesthetic medication is running out, as you get put under, need muscle relaxants etc. for a very much longer time than is typical, over here there are few procedures that need more than 5 days and more and more even just need one or none.

I'd imagine they are watching the situation with johnson extremely carefully. If there is a potential for a Cytokine Storm event, my guess is that they will have some Tocilizumab available as it seems that was used to some effect by the Chinese. Anything which can help improve the odds is worthwhile.

It’s also possible that they are more careful than usual ... apparently he doesn’t need a respirator yet.

Fairly positive (guess) he’s already on oxygen treatment since admission to the hospital. He’s not confirmed to be on a ventilator yet. But I suspect they moved him to ICU to “reserve” his ventilator should he require it.

I suspect ethically it would be wrong to “steal” someone else’s ventilator so the PM could live. So they just went ahead and reserved/prioritized his by moving him to ICU and ensuring his spot in line etc.

Yes, he's on oxygen, close to a ventilator. Although it seems Downing Street weren't honest about his condition all along, as is often the way with politicians presenting a fake image. Given the markets can stupidly cost people large amounts of money on the unstable whims of investors and their reactions to totally unrelated news, it may be deemed important to present a better situation than the real one to stop share prices dropping etc.

Power in usa is divided in such a way that president doesn't have absolute power. It might seem like trump has a lot of power because he makes a lot of noise but reality is different. He has trouble even building his wall.

The executive branch has become more and more powerful over time which feeds into the perception. The supreme court still retains it's power, but the legislative branch has abdicated its power in many cases. (I am not talking about when they happen to agree with the president b/c of party, though that of course can exacerbate it).

Dreams should be a launch title for PS5 supporting most of the new features so we can all quickly write games that make the most of them [emoji3]. I bet someone could make a blind person simulator like we discussed in that in like one day.

I meant that I think it should not that I expect it to, although the PS4 version should work right away so I don’t know how hard it would be for them to add some PS5 features.

From the That Was Obvious category, all Microsoft conferences will be digital-only through July 2021

"In light of the challenges presented by COVID-19, we are adjusting our event calendar and strategy. For the remainder of 2020, we are embracing the opportunity to experiment with new platforms to provide our partners, customers and developers the highest quality, digital-first experiences."​

Back