Yes 60fps takes alot more resources then 30fps, but to say some 30fps games totally eclipse Eternal, i dont see it that way. Yes eternal is a late gen game, but its not getting totally eclipsed by say RDR2, detroid, HZD, UC4. It's a different style for sure, but especially considering it's 60fps/multiplat game, its damn close, one could easily say they belong in the same generation of consoles. Only a good thing, 60fps shouldnt be that far away next gen, if they dont go for ray tracing offcourse.

One of the best gifs ive ever seen.

Just beat it on Easy, got mixed feelings about it. While I enjoyed some of the boss fights especially the final one, I feel like the game loop, level design and encounters are all too samey. Once you played a couple of them you pretty much played them all, it's always the same enemies rushing you, crowding you, forcing you to desperately search for ammo, not to mention the fricken Marauder been absolutely unfair and annoying! Then the platforming while has its novelty at times, all becomes too repetitive, awkward and annoying more often than not. This is more of a Quake game than Doom, it has lost all its intense, horror feel while fully walking down the path of arcade arena. Also need to mention how cartoony the enemy designs are, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to say it's a slightly more matured Ratchet & Clank game with constant Techno and Metal booming your eardrums.
Kinda hope the next gen sequel would take a far more R rated and foot on the ground approach.

Just beat it on Easy, got mixed feelings about it. While I enjoyed some of the boss fights especially the final one, I feel like the game loop, level design and encounters are all too samey. Once you played a couple of them you pretty much played them all, it's always the same enemies rushing you, crowding you, forcing you to desperately search for ammo, not to mention the fricken Marauder been absolutely unfair and annoying! Then the platforming while has its novelty at times, all becomes too repetitive, awkward and annoying more often than not. This is more of a Quake game than Doom, it has lost all its intense, horror feel while fully walking down the path of arcade arena. Also need to mention how cartoony the enemy designs are, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to say it's a slightly more matured Ratchet & Clank game with constant Techno and Metal booming your eardrums.
Kinda hope the next gen sequel would take a far more R rated and foot on the ground approach.
Doom isnt and never was a horror game. Only Doom 3 which isnt even considered canon in the franchise.

Doom isnt and never was a horror game. Only Doom 3 which isnt even considered canon in the franchise.
It sure is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_video_games#D
Don't really care if Doom3 is canon or not, it's still the best. I mean they've got Quake to perfectly satisfy the arena, arcade crowd, so have some diversity in your portfolio to offer something different. I'm not overly bashing this game tho since it's still a good game, just hoped for something different.

Don't really care if Doom3 is canon or not, it's still the best.

Doom 3 was an outlier, different to previous and after it. But i do agree with you personally, liked Doom 3 more then the others. Isn't to say i dislike the newer/older ones though, they are one of gaming's finest, and the reviews show it.

Doom 1 and 2 had in-door levels that were quite dark and you could hear the enemies lurking somewhere, it also arguably had cheap jump scares like enemies emerging from a hidden wall when you activated a switch.
So one could look at it like Doom 3 fully embracing those parts of the classic Doom games.

And I certainly do consider Doom 3 more of a Doom game than 2016 and Eternal. They're more like Quake 3 or Serious Sam.

It sure is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_video_games#D
Don't really care if Doom3 is canon or not, it's still the best. I mean they've got Quake to perfectly satisfy the arena, arcade crowd, so have some diversity in your portfolio to offer something different. I'm not overly bashing this game tho since it's still a good game, just hoped for something different.

I wouldn't really put much stock into a list of horror games that includes Darksiders. Doom 3 was a good game, but there was nothing Doom about it. It was a first person Resident Evil.

Doom and Doom 2 were action games that overwhelmed you.

Action games yes, but I really wouldn't say they overwhelmed you. They were mostly corridor based and the enemies were already present once you entered the rooms. There were some more open outdoor environments with plenty of enemies, but you weren't put in the middle of it all.
The levels I can think of that actually were somewhat similar to the arena concept was "Dead Simple" and "Icon of Sin".

I think people forget that many people grew up playing Doom 1 and 2 using keyboard only, which made these fast and precise reaction movements impossible.

Action games yes, but I really wouldn't say they overwhelmed you. They were mostly corridor based and the enemies were already present once you entered the rooms. There were some more open outdoor environments with plenty of enemies, but you weren't put in the middle of it all.
The levels I can think of that actually were somewhat similar to the arena concept was "Dead Simple" and "Icon of Sin".

I think people forget that many people grew up playing Doom 1 and 2 using keyboard only, which made these fast and precise reaction movements impossible.

I played Doom1 and Doom2 on keyboard. It's definitely not fast paced like the new Doom games, but to me it was always an action game, not a slow paced horror game.

I played Doom1 and Doom2 on keyboard. It's definitely not fast paced like the new Doom games, but to me it was always an action game, not a slow paced horror game.

I agree no doubt that it's an action game at its heart, but I definitely do think it has its fair share of slower paced areas where it's more horror themed. Basically all the dark and blinking parts of the levels.

Take this map for instance. A dark in-door level with alot of enemies lurking around the corners. For someone playing Doom 2 for the first time, he'd not be able to finish it quickly like the video.

I'd guess that most people who played Doom for the first time did take their time entering rooms and using cover. The run and gun style isn't what you'd resort to before knowing the maps.

Last edited:
Doom 3 was an outlier, different to previous and after it. But i do agree with you personally, liked Doom 3 more then the others. Isn't to say i dislike the newer/older ones though, they are one of gaming's finest, and the reviews show it.
the old games, before Doom 3, are cult classics for their impact, but also the level design was better. Maybe it was the limitations of the engine that drove the imagination, but those levels were sheer fun. As 3D as Doom 2016/Eternal are, they didn't capture the feel of the original. The maps are more convoluted for my taste, it's just another fps, not the typical Doom. Sure it plays okay, it's just that they could do a better Doom 64 instead of this.

I dont like the glory kills, also don't like the fact that demons should fear you.

The background sounds and atmosphere of the original games made you feel fear to some extent. Now it is as if you can kill enemies with a strong kick and some lightning fast move, this is not the doom guy who bleed if things got too tough. Fun levels, challenging but not unbeatable, was what mode Doom.

Doom 2016 was not the same game style as classical doom, but it had a very satisfying loop. In fact, I personaly like 2016 gameplay much better than OG Doom 1/2.
Eternal seems to be more of that, which is fine by me. I'm just not vert sure aboit all the platforming I've seen. I'm eager to try it out.

the old games, before Doom 3, are cult classics for their impact, but also the level design was better. Maybe it was the limitations of the engine that drove the imagination, but those levels were sheer fun. As 3D as Doom 2016/Eternal are, they didn't capture the feel of the original. The maps are more convoluted for my taste, it's just another fps, not the typical Doom. Sure it plays okay, it's just that they could do a better Doom 64 instead of this.

I dont like the glory kills, also don't like the fact that demons should fear you.

The background sounds and atmosphere of the original games made you feel fear to some extent. Now it is as if you can kill enemies with a strong kick and some lightning fast move, this is not the doom guy who bleed if things got too tough. Fun levels, challenging but not unbeatable, was what mode Doom.
I wonder if the formula could be adapted to our generation though. It was still very fast paced, very action packed and gory for its time. It sure had an amazing atmosphere. I do believe that the limitations of the 90s plus the fact that it was unique gave it a special status. I think it would have been a challenge to emphasize on the horror and action elements simultaneously in an effort to replicate what Doom 1 and 2 were without diluting both or making it feel outdated like Duke Nukem Forever.

Then again maybe if they kept the current fast paced action with darker environments, added more atmospheric ambient sounds and music plus made the main character more grounded might have felt more like the old doom. Or maybe it would have been just another FPS. Who knows?
The Doom formula has been replicated and evolved so many times by others that we probably got Doom countless times already. This probably led the developers to hard think how to make Doom be Doom, while making it gain a new status in the plethora of first person shooters out there.

I never played Doom 3, but judging by it's popularity it wasn't received highly despite it's effort to focus on the horror aspect. The newest Dooms though are up to date while maintaining the immediacy, grab and play, shoot first ask questions later gameplay that we enjoyed back in the 90s.

Well this is a fucking blast.

Honestly, this game has no right to look this good while running so fast. At times I just stop and marvel at the sheer amount of geometry, the round surfaces that are actually ROUND (I’m looking at you FF7R) and I just don’t understand how no other game or engine can do this. The textures? Zero pop in, and sharp even up close, as they should be.

I mean, there is an insane amount of detail in the most unnecessary places you’ll only ever glance at for a split second, if ever.

Like.

This kind of weird decoration in an unspecified wall somewhere.

Adjustments.jpg

This thing, with of lots of circles, each made with actual geometry. And they’re all nice and round.

And *other games* can’t even have one pipe made out of 6 polygons across. While running at half the frame rate.

Or this:

IMG_5438.jpg

Not only the tunnel is, of course, perfectly round, it the texture. Just look at that surface.

There are so many other examples, I’ll post them when I find the time.

Yes its mighty impressive what they have done, they even optimized loading times (no loading at all) when using an nvme SSD. Oh and yes its a multiplatform game running at a rather stable 60 FPS across all. Let's see what they can create on next generation consoles, going to be intresting.

Back