General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Completely agree with you.

With PS it mostly have been best served to buy one closer to the end of its lifespan, when more exclusives are out there. Thing is for me, that aint so many anymore, studios cant/dont release so many big aaa games due to cost and time consuming. Bought a ps4 for maybe 4/5 games, over a 7 year lifespan. Most are SP so not many hours total. It was different with ps2, where we had much more exclusives. That and nowadays more and more sony titles appear on pc, my main platform. Il wait and see what happens some years in.

My view for timing is different. It pays off to buy console early and get maximum years of use. Then buy pc later when console starts to drag behind and avoid pro models of consoles. PC will anyway play most content. Console is for exclusives which should get optimized even for base models. Buying a pc now that matches next gen consoles is not going to be cheap and there is all those new bells and whistles like ray tracing, very fast ssd and in sony's case also audio.

The nice things about consoles is that the format works well for 4K tvs. I have it setup that my PC desk happens to be beside my 65”. But in a regular house where the living room would have this TV; I wouldn’t want my HAF tower sitting there; it’s just unsightly.
And then the controllers work well for a couch; PC i need to wire them usually to work.

there are lots of options available of course; depends on what you’re looking for. I did step away from the PC scene for a while, but it’s nice coming back to it.

My view for timing is different. It pays off to buy console early and get maximum years of use. Then buy pc later when console starts to drag behind and avoid pro models of consoles. PC will anyway play most content. Console is for exclusives which should get optimized even for base models. Buying a pc now that matches next gen consoles is not going to be cheap and there is all those new bells and whistles like ray tracing, very fast ssd and in sony's case also audio.

Didn't say one should buy a matching-pc now, even though that wouldn't be that insane, it would consist of a 3700x, a 9/10TF RTX GPU /RTX2070(s), 16GB main ram. The 'problem' part is the SSD, but let's say 2.4GB/s SSD to that system (optane is rather expensive), and you'l be fine. Then again, your shy of a year ahead with the system. It's much more wise to get one a year in or so, prices for a system like the above will be cheaper, or you'l get a much faster and advanced one for the same money. Ray tracing and fast SSD covered, cross plat games won't be much of trouble. DLSS2.0 can help mitigate high resolution problems.
No idea about the audio, 1 CU of audio power i heard.

The nice things about consoles is that the format works well for 4K tvs. I have it setup that my PC desk happens to be beside my 65”. But in a regular house where the living room would have this TV; I wouldn’t want my HAF tower sitting there; it’s just unsightly.
And then the controllers work well for a couch; PC i need to wire them usually to work.

there are lots of options available of course; depends on what you’re looking for.

There should be no problems driving a 4k screen if you go hdmi. Yes that's not really compact, ive had the HAF932 and 922, while great airflow they are rather huge yes :p It's possible to have a smaller build if you want to, ive been downsizing in cases, went from a cosmos (great case) to a scout for size/weight reasons. Advantage to the PC is you can go all out and choose the cooling you like, from jet noise levels to completely silent and dust free, and a cool running one at that. you could probably go as a small as the XSX, but that ain't my thing yet.

DS4 works well for me (w10) connected using bluetooth. Mostly used for PCSX2 emulation. No idea about other controllers :)

I did step away from the PC scene for a while, but it’s nice coming back to it.

True, but you can have both. Always had a PC/PS combo, as mentioned, the PS for the exclusives. Thing is, if you only have it for the exclusives, it wont see much use. Like said, il wait and see some years in what happens.

For MP it might even be extremely annoying at least for Cross generation/platform titles. In case of Destiny when I start a strike it happens a lot that I have to wait at some stupid transparent wall because I arrived faster(probably due X1X+SSD) than the other team members. Now imagine that scaled from XSX/PS5, PC to X1S/PS4 without SSD

If loading is the only 'advantage' others can get over another, it's not much of a problem for MP. Can be fixed with waiting before round starts. Larger drawdistances and popins would be unfair. An optane user having an edge in that with a sniper rifle/long range :p

PS5 SSD typical speed 9GB/s is only 40% of the decompressor speed (22GB/s). But xbox SSD 4.8GB/s is 80% of
decompressor speed (6GB/s). I feel it very strange that why Sony needs such a high speed decompressor?
It's the decompressor speed in optimal conditions. Such conditions would be, for example, when decompressing a file that is just all zeroes. A decompressor like Kraken would essentially go so fast on such data that it is only limited by the link between the decompressor and the RAM. This speed is actually a bit relevant because the output data is formats directly used by the GPU, and it occasionally does need files with very low entropy. It won't go that fast most of the time, though.

Wasn't some of the memory reservation in PS4 and Xbox One for suspended apps? With the load times being what they are, that memory reservation should be smaller the new consoles.

So you don't think the ps5 has any memory reserved for OS?
What about the game engine and audio, they have to go somewhere also.
Sure I do, both consoles would hit a ram bottle neck at some point but it seems like he's so unhappy with that split pool.

Sure I do, both consoles would hit a ram bottle neck at some point but it seems like he's so unhappy with that split pool.
So then I don't understand what you mean when you say 10GB isn't enough for next gen and 4K?
Take away the parts that don't need full bandwidth.

Can debate split pool, but we was talking about the size of the fast section of memory and its adequacy.

I have one issue with "TFLOPs are only theoretical metric", most take it as "Stronger console cannot even use TFs to its full", but somehow the weaker one can?

Cerny made it clear during the presentation that the system is designed to be highly efficient. That's the reason they engineered that complex I/O management system and why they went for a high frequency GPU.

So I wouldn't be surprised that is easier to achieve max theoretical performance on the PS5.

No, 9 gb/s is typical compression, but for some data it can reach to 22, from the disk to RAM effective available bandwidth.
Again, I am going by what Sony and MS said, literal spec sheets.

5.5GB/s raw (2.4GB/s)
8-9GB/s compressed (4.8GB/s)

Better tools and API, for example. Compare Vulkan and DX9/10, for example.
How come XBX theoretical advantage extended even above what spec sheet shown then? 44% more TFs, half the pixel fill?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back