Resident Evil 7

I don't think there's CA or any other artificial "image worseners" in VR.

Either way, finished it on the weekend. Played entirely in VR (checked the non-VR version once, but it simply isn't the same) and loved every minute of it. Best RE since 4 and the REmake. Also easily the best RE story. Granted, that's not exactly saying an awful lot, but I thought it was genuinely interesting. There's even a neat twist at the end which I didn't see coming. And it was a well-earned twist too.

So glad I don't have any problems with VR locomotion. Can play the thing for hours without any problems and with all the "safety measures" turned off.

Last edited:
I envy the lucky bastards who can handle VR:), sounds like I'm missing out a lot. Finished a regular TV playthrough last night and what a ride that was, pretty much been kept on the edge of my seat all the time as it was that intense. I thought it took a lot of the scare element from Silent Hill and Fear which worked out pretty well most of the time, the lack of an objective pointer also adds a sense of exploration and mystery. It definitely has a lower count boss fight than the previous titles, just wishes the encounters and duration could lasted longer. I also don't get what happened to
Zoe
and
Lucas
but could be planned for that DLC. Again the graphics looked very good due to the confinement of a small area tho the textures at times are lacking. I would preferred a 30fps mode with everything turned to the eleven of course but I'm not complaining here.

Resident Evil 7 has paid DLC?

I guess I'll just wait for the all included edition since I still have to play through RE 4, 5 and 6. No rush as it's going to be a while til I get there even though I understand that this doesn't really tie into the other REs.

finished it yesterday in 9h30min in normal difficulty, was expecting it to last a bit longer :(
So i bought the first DLC.

I thought length was just right. You can sustain horror for only so long, and the final act of RE7 was the game at its weakest anyways. I also think there was a decent 10 hour game buried within RE6's ridiculous 35 hour campaign.

finished it yesterday in 9h30min in normal difficulty, was expecting it to last a bit longer :(
So i bought the first DLC.
How was it overall (the experience) in VR? After 9 hours of play did it get less scary, more scary? Was the story better told in VR than say normal play?

There's no difference between the two modes in regards to storytelling. The only downside to the VR experience is the slight immersion break caused by a handful of pre-recorded cutscenes which run in regular old 2d on a virtual cinema screen. The game will also frequently fade to black whenever your virtual self climbs ladders or gets locked into a fist person cut-scene. I guess there's some behind-the-scenes realignment happening in those instances. The floating hands didn't really bother me personally. It's either that or a set of IK driven arms with a tendency to spaz out every now and then I guess.
There are also a bunch of scenes which are clearly built with VR in mind, like when a character stuffs food into your mouth or comes uncomfortably close to your face with the business end of a kitchen knife. Playing on a regular screen sometimes seems like watching early 3d movies in 2d: You just know that the tip of that spear was supposed to be right in your face.

And I'd say it gets less scary over time no matter which way you play it. This is a RE game through and through, and in typical RE tradition, you'll eventually amass a healthy arsenal of weapons. It's also not a particularly difficult series entry. If you ask me, the game's clearly missing a difficulty setting somewhere in between Normal (too easy) and Madhouse (too hard, especially in the beginning).

Last edited:
you learn to live with the fear, so it becomes less scary over time, but you still feel unconfortable while playing, it's never relaxing, the tension is here from beginning to finish. There are jump scares anywhere, and weird sounds that make you wonder if it was just a background noise or something near you ready to attack.
And a few surprises i did not see coming.
I have started to play the DLC, the bedroom one feels like being in the movie Misery. And who thought a zombie survival mode in VR was a good idea ? It's really too exhausting for the nerves !

I just finished it today. Loved it. Very stressfull experience in a good way. This was a refreshing entry in the series after 6 which I hated.

I havent felt such tension in a resi game since the PS1 days. Which is a good thing.

It deviated a bit too much from the original though that it could have been a different game. I am referring to the enemies and the concept. It is unlike anything from the other resis. I think the game also didnt make it clear that
this new type of bio weapon was made by Umbrella or some other competitive organization
Strangely at the end of the game one of the helicopters that pick you up with
with Redfield have an Unbrella insignia in blue and they are described as the guys that will clean up
. Does anyone else have an explanation? Also i didnt quite get if the game explains the head and the identity of the
girl in the altar with the hand
. Are they some of the previous experiments?
How did Z know how to make the
serum and how did a lab appear so near the area where it seemed that it was the place they created the bio weapon
?

I just finished it today. Loved it. Very stressfull experience in a good way. This was a refreshing entry in the series after 6 which I hated.

I havent felt such tension in a resi game since the PS1 days. Which is a good thing.

It deviated a bit too much from the original though that it could have been a different game. I am referring to the enemies and the concept. It is unlike anything from the other resis. I think the game also didnt make it clear that
this new type of bio weapon was made by Umbrella or some other competitive organization
Strangely at the end of the game one of the helicopters that pick you up with
with Redfield have an Unbrella insignia in blue and they are described as the guys that will clean up
. Does anyone else have an explanation? Also i didnt quite get if the game explains the head and the identity of the
girl in the altar with the hand
. Are they some of the previous experiments?
How did Z know how to make the
serum and how did a lab appear so near the area where it seemed that it was the place they created the bio weapon
?

I think the game has been out long enough where no spoilers are needed.

Anyhow, Chris Redfield works with Umbrella Corp. II (it's predecessor) on cleaning up the mess of the original corporation and its founders. From my recollection, the altar scene and most of the oddities that you deal with, their backstories are explained within the labs of the salt-mines. In general, Eveline was a bioweapon and the foundation towards other experiments. Because of Eveline's vast powers and her manufacturing her own escape surrounding the Baker's land... Umbrella Corp., built the facilities close-by on recapturing Eveline or study her powers and mutations from an observable distance. Lastly, Zoe Baker knew how to avoid Eveline's influence for the most part (simply staying out of her sight), and more than likely knew which serums to use because of her knowledge from hiding in and around the Baker's and Umbrella Corp. properties.

I am one hour into this game and I am liking it a lot. It's a unique Resident Evil game, nor better nor worse than other Resident Evil games, but unique. There are rumours circulating about Resident Evil 8, and I am very hyped. It'd be my 10th Resident Evil game in 23 years, not bad.

Which FOV do you play this game at?

I completed the game, it took me 14 hours. A decent game, not as good as RE2 Remake but I wanted to complete it, which is something I dont usually feel with games I dont like.It's not without its flaws, but still..

I'd like a bit more variety in the enemies of the game. Also, perhaps this is the darkest most oppressive game of the series by far. I played most of them -missed RE5, wish I missed RE6, one of the worst games ever, please next time dont hire western developers for that- and none of those is so dark.

LC
which hardware do you need to play in VR? I haven't seen a VR version on steam.
It's PSVR exclusive.

Unless you use Vorpx which mods VR into the PC version. And this does work fairly well.

I completed the game, it took me 14 hours. A decent game, not as good as RE2 Remake but I wanted to complete it, which is something I dont usually feel with games I dont like.It's not without its flaws, but still..

I'd like a bit more variety in the enemies of the game. Also, perhaps this is the darkest most oppressive game of the series by far. I played most of them -missed RE5, wish I missed RE6, one of the worst games ever, please next time dont hire western developers for that- and none of those is so dark.
RE7 seemed so fresh when it was new. I loved it. But RE2 would feel like that too if one played it first.

But yeah it is very dark. It's definitely slanted towards psychological horror instead of the more campy previous RE games. I think the remakes are too but not like RE7 which is almost like Outlast 2 in some respects. Especially in the earlier sections of the game.

I am extremely curious to see if they will remake RE4. It doesn't even look that bad with the HD release from a few years back.

Last edited:
LC
It's PSVR exclusive.

Unless you use Vorpx which mods VR into the PC version. And this does work fairly well.

RE7 seemed so fresh when it was new. I loved it. But RE2 would feel like that too if one played it first.

But yeah it is very dark. It's definitely slanted towards psychological horror instead of the more campy previous RE games. I think the remakes are too but not like RE7 which is almost like Outlast 2 in some respects. Especially in the earlier sections of the game.

I am extremely curious to see if they will remake RE4. It doesn't even look that bad with the HD release from a few years back.
aaah okay, not that I have a VR headset. It might be a while...I always preferred AR.

as for RE4 HD it does look decent, not great, and it's also playable. The PC version is the only version running at 60 fps, but the original engine was meant for 30 fps and there are a few impossible to solve issues -though not game breakers- https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/R...dition#Issues_when_running_the_game_at_60_FPS

I had the original game on the GC -RE4 and F-Zero GX were the reasons I got a Gamecube-, and it's an okay game, just not my favourite Resident Evil.

As of recently, I've been playing all the Resident Evil games of my collection (all of them on Steam), which are quite a few, one of them is RE4. And I am having a hard time adapting to the controls.

They are kinda bad, specially if you come from something like RE2 Remake which is flawless when it comes to controls.

To play RE4 HD half comfortable I had to switch the controls to Type C -or D, cant recall exactly-, yet I got easily surrounded and confused.

As with the original RE1 -which I had for the PC back in the day- remake and RE0 remake I wouldn't mind if Capcom made a RE-RE-Remake of those games with their new engine, and Raytracing support, DLSS support, etc etc.

Back