Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Resident evil 3 Remake looks basically the same on Pro and One X and that's with about 40 % power difference. Impressive.

April 1, 2020
there is a moment where they say that they were a bit disappointed by the fact that despite being a city, the game felt a bit more restrictive. Well, that's the only part where I disagree with them. If they made an open city, it wouldn't be a Resident Evil game, whose gameplay mechanics are just perfect. No more open world, please, except if we want to play that kind of game -loved Skyrim, Oblivion ,etc but well-.

Also, I am glad they invite specific experts in a game like the guy they invited for this episode.

On a different note, all my videogaming records have been beaten with Resident Evil 2 Remake. I am 80 hours in the game after little more than two weeks. I'd never ever imagine it would happen.

Now I am trying this HDR Reshade mod. Install Reshade choosing teh game executable, and enjoy! More noticeable HDR and everything.

RE IMMERSION - RESHADE 2.0
https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil22019/mods/14?tab=files

Last edited:
DLSS 2 on a humble RTX 2060: 540p looking better than 1080p. This is berserk!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-control-dlss-2-dot-zero-analysis

7t07zs3.jpg

Last edited:
Digital Foundry analysis, DLSS 2.0, DLSS 1.9 comparisons.

Summary from ResetERA:
  • DLSS 1.9 broke down under transparencies, resulting in ghosting and flickering
  • higher resolution fixes subpixel breakup at the cost of higher cost (because higher res)
  • 2.0 fixes subpixel detail issues like flickering
  • movement also breaks 1.9
  • ghosting trail still exists in 2.0 but is greatly reduced
  • pseudo-random micro-detail (rock flecks, skin pores) is better preserved in 2.0
  • text textures has higher contrast but is less legible than native res
  • 2.0 can have high contrast edge breakup at times, but not really visible at regular zoom
  • DLSS doesn't blur micro-detail in motion unlike TAA
  • slight haloing with 2.0 (more visible at 800% magnification)
  • SHARPENING IS TWEAKABLE IN THE SDK
  • 1080p to 4K is 130% higher performance than native 4K in performance mode (4x scale) on 2080Ti
  • 1440p to 4K is 67% better performance
  • 2.0 cost more than 1.9, but in practice, it's marginally faster
  • 1080p to 4K through DLSS has 11% lower performance than 1080p to 4K with regular upscaling and TAA
  • on a 2060, that same test shows DLSS 15% lower than 1080p upscaled
  • DLSS more expensive on lower end gpus
  • 540p to 1080p DLSS resolves subpixel detail that a native 1080p image cannot
  • Alan Wake ran at 540p on the 360
  • halo artifact is more noticeable at lower resolution
  • on a 2060, max everything, 720p to 1440p, runs in 40s in stressful environments (good for variable refresh rate monitors tho)
  • using Alex's optimized settings from before, drops go as low as the mid 50s
  • dropping to reconstructed 1080p, you'll stay above 60fps
  • best image reconstruction solution so far, according to Alex

On a different note, from a DF video where Alex talks about the optimal settings for Resident Evil 2 Remake, I've been playing Resident Evil 7, which uses the same engine as the current remakes. And there are several things to mention. The HDR of the game is very good, the setting is tremendous, and I'm shit-scared.

I put my headphones on and...oh well....a bit too intense. I'm not going to spoil the game for anyone who hasn't played it, but RE7 is a unique Resident Evil game. -not better or worse, unique-

Last edited:
gotta remark that in the video posted by @Mindtaker you can see how the 2060 is taking on future consoles and beating them and powerful PCs without DLSS compatible graphics cards. 72 fps at 4k -1080p internal-...., nuff said
Now that NVIDIA slide from months ago showing a laptop with max q gpu being better than next consoles makes sense.

gotta remark that in the video posted by @Mindtaker you can see how the 2060 is taking on future consoles and beating them and powerful PCs without DLSS compatible graphics cards. 72 fps at 4k -1080p internal-...., nuff said

Now that NVIDIA slide from months ago showing a laptop with max q gpu being better than next consoles makes sense.

Damn nvidia, killing it. With resolutions taking so much of a performance hit, this is actually exactly what we need. Curious for their RTX3000 series, with the current RTX already being such monsters, and thinking that was 2018 products, cant wait to see 2020 stuff.
A RTX3060, or even 2060/70 might be enough. Serious gaming might end up being not that expensive as ive thought it would become. I'm already on a 3900/2080Ti/32gb system with an NVme drive, might get optane if i can find one used. I'm aware that i can use this optane on my AMD setup as it's using the M2 connector. AMD cpu, Intel ssd, NV gpu :p

Imagine the performance and memory that can be freed up! This is another revolution in graphics

I’m actually curious of the impact on memory bandwidth, fill rate etc. I’m also curious at which point dlss 2.0 would become the bottleneck if you were to render at 540 or 720 with the games at low settings. Like if you wanted to use dlss to try to hit 240fps instead of higher quality (540 -> 1080 all low settings). What is the point where dlss 2.0 can’t upscale fast enough.

DLLS 2 does seem like a great optimization, but the other take away for me is that TAA is quite bad and it's very unfortunate that it can't be toggled off. On the close ups of faces the blurring it causes hides a ton of details. I would never use something like that.

DLSS 2.0 is amazing. 4K is perfectly doable now with 1440 > 4K step.

With Ampere rumored to be heavily focused on RT performance, with DLSS 2.0(+) we are likely looking at 4K games with full RTRT and high FPS.

We will go from RT being a tech demo to fully useable in one gen. Great job Nvidia. Oh and DLSS 1.x was junk and an impressive waste of the tensor cores. Not to mention the process of getting DLSS in your game was a joke.

DLLS 2 does seem like a great optimization, but the other take away for me is that TAA is quite bad and it's very unfortunate that it can't be toggled off. On the close ups of faces the blurring it causes hides a ton of details. I would never use something like that.
I think even if TAA could be toggled it would look worse based on @Dictator observations:
Probably because most engines only have visuals which work due to TAA. UE4, idtech, frostbite, northlight, etc. have all designed many of their effects (ambient occlusion, reflections, transparency rendering, etc.) around stochastic accumulation and then cleaning that up with TAA. If you turn off TAA in these games, most of their effects works breaks. So there is really no alternative to TAA in many of these game engines, or if you choose to not use TAA (like turning it off in an ini file), then you have a dramatically worse looking game that no amount of MSAA or FXAA could save.

I think even if TAA could be toggled it would look worse based on @Dictator observations:
this seems to be the case with some modern engines, for instant RE engine. The graphics of Resident Evil 2 Remake look sooo beautiful to me, and I used a some HDR Reshade mods. Some of them increase the sharpness of TAA but the game looks worse to me. It looks crisper for sure, which is what I like ,but overall worse, it doesn't feel as good nor authentic. Puzzling....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back