Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

That slide makes Cerny sounds like a fresh engineering graduate, hell even the graduate could accomplish something much better than that BS contained in the slide.

If the SSD stuff works as advertised, are people really going to have the patience to play legacy games with load times or is it better to just fork it here?

Personally I'm thinking the bc is more of a waste of resources and if it forced aspects of the design not worth the hassle.

I've been cheerleading MS overall ecosystem for a couple years now and to me it looks like they are starting to hit their stride.

There's a place within the noise of this forum where the relentless attacks are exposing a surprising amount of fear.

I wonder what it's about.

By june we will see games and then people can start to judge for themselves. It didn't take long for people to see the performance differences between the xbox one and ps4. I would wager if there is enough of a power difference where one of these consoles is able to pull ahead we will notice it much faster considering how the internet and sites like DF have evolved so much from 2012/2013.

My only questions is if this dynamic clocking from AMD is so great and its in ryzen and navi, why is only one company enabling it. I don't think its a simple as what sony claims and i don't think its as horrible as detractors think.

I am also interested to see what cooling and design sony goes with because of the large departure MS took.

Ps4 bc is absolutely worth it. Theres no argument against it
At this point, given the related architecture, it makes almost no sense to exclude it. Also, Microsoft let everyone know early that they were making their next console backwards compatible. It's not a thing you can let your rival get away with anymore.

I am curious if the 36 CU decision is related to BC, though. It's exactly the same as PS4pro, and Sony's backwards compatibility has often been achieved by down clocking and handling workloads in as close to original hardware configurations as possible.

Something is definitely wrong if Sony is lagging behind Microsoft in showcasing PS5's final look and target performance/visual quality

I'm sure Sony hadn't shown the PS4 by now in relation to the timeline.

Personally I'm thinking the bc is more of a waste of resources and if it forced aspects of the design not worth the hassle.

It absolutely is critical now with how important it is for people to use your network and to try and lock them in to using it.

I'm sure Sony hadn't shown the PS4 by now in relation to the timeline.

It absolutely is critical now with how important it is for people to use your network and to try and lock them in to using it.

Sony showed the PS4 at E3 2013.

At this point, given the related architecture, it makes almost no sense to exclude it. Also, Microsoft let everyone know early that they were making their next console backwards compatible. It's not a thing you can let your rival get away with anymore.

I am curious if the 36 CU decision is related to BC, though. It's exactly the same as PS4pro, and Sony's backwards compatibility has often been achieved by down clocking and handling workloads in as close to original hardware configurations as possible.
Again at what cost? If PS5 hardware design was restricted in a material way to make it possible to run old games, I'm not sure it was worth the trouble.

Especially if zero load times on the platform has a negative impact on your ability to enjoy the older games. It very well could be a demarcation line much like the transition from 2d to 3d. I loved Mass Effect when it came out but I've never gone back and been able to enjoy replaying it because of the load times.

My point is simply, it's great to have bc but the user experience is about amplify people's awareness of the inconveniences and I'm not sure the nostalgia will be enough for many gamers.

Again at what cost? If PS5 hardware design was restricted in a material way to make it possible to run old games, I'm not sure it was worth the trouble.

Especially if zero load times on the platform has a negative impact on your ability to enjoy the older games. It very well could be a demarcation line much like the transition from 2d to 3d. I loved Mass Effect when it came out but I've never gone back and been able to enjoy replaying it because of the load times.

My point is simply, it's great to have bc but the user experience is about amplify people's awareness of the inconveniences and I'm not sure the nostalgia will be enough for many gamers.
What will happen to all that content taking space in PSN, generating cost that will not be accessible to the users/buyers of newer consoles? Thats also a waste.

All of it.
So they are supposed to hit the clocks almost 100% of the time, but under large loads they throttle back, but when the CPU is underutilized it sends power to the GPU to maintain the clock speed, but the console maintains constant power to feed the GPU and CPU so they keep these clockspeeds but 10% reduction of power reduces the clockspeeds by a minor %....it all sounds like an oxymoron with one statement contradicting the other in an endless loop :p
Like you I have trouble rectifying some of what has been said to be completely honest - I think that puzzlement is reflected in the article and video put out yesterday. Gotta wait for games or see what else devs can say over time I guess.

Like you I have trouble rectifying some of what has been said to be completely honest - I think that puzzlement is reflected in the article and video put out yesterday. Gotta wait for games or see what else devs can say over time I guess.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. I honestly don't understand the confusion.

they do not want to show off captures from dev system that do not match what a production console would produce

This is so much unsony that invalidates all the rest.

https://respawnfirst.com/remedy-explains-control-will-be-on-ps5/

Tatu Aalto, lead graphics programmer at Remedy.

When it comes to the PS5, faster hardware is always appreciated and will make life easier in the short term. But it’s the new SSD that really stands out; essentially streaming will become something that we don’t really have to worry so much about and it will free up some extra CPU bandwidth in the process.

For something like Control that could translate to an even deeper destruction system, richer, more detailed worlds, and simple quality-of-life improvements like instant reloading after dying.

More data at runtime, allowing us to have much more detail in the game worlds than before. Since there is no need to duplicate data to compensate for slow seek times that optical drives and HDDs have.

We tend to forget that it’s not just about getting better graphics in games with a new console, but it’s that the overall experience of using and playing on the console will get significantly better. PlayStation 5 is about making a really smooth, quick-to-load experience, and a hardware base that’s easy to use for us developers, which is great because it allows us to harness the hardware power quicker.

If games would stay the same in terms of scope and visual quality it’d make loading times be almost unnoticeable and restarting a level could be almost instant.

However, since more data can be now used there can also be cases where production might be cheaper and faster when not optimizing content, which will lead into having to load much more data, leading back into a situation where you have about the same loading times as today.

oof, all this clock stuff makes me feel like a clockwork orange;). I give credit to Cerny to even put that variable clock out to the public. He could just have said 3.5 and 2.23 Ghz and be done with it. He would then be asked how are you able to do this crazy GPU clock without melting the system and he could have replied that they have special tech inside to avoid that. Anyhow I agree with folks here that variable clocks seems to be a smart and forward looking way of maximizing performance and efficiency and I add, regardless to the number of CU's.

Nice...that last point also makes sense for why sony is focusing so much on removing as many bottlenecks to the system regarding drive speed as possible. As time goes on and assets density and complexity increase, how game data is managed will stick out all the more on next gen. So really focusing on i/0 is really a forward thinking design as we knew

Back